by Mike Masnick
Wed, Sep 8th 2010 7:29am
Even with Craigslist censoring itself due to ridiculous public pressure, and even though it's pretty clear that this action will only make things much worse for victims, the so-called "public interest groups" that pushed this misguided media campaign against Craigslist still don't think they've done enough damage. They sent me press releases three times yesterday patting themselves on the back for Craigslist censoring itself and then demanding that it do even more. This is unfortunate, no matter how you look at it. These groups can't seem to admit that blaming the tool rather than the actual people involved only makes the problem worse. Their inability to recognize the basic consequences of moving this activity to other forums that don't cooperate with law enforcement and make it much harder to stop these activities is really quite upsetting. Blaming the tool providers for the actions of users doesn't stop the actions, at all. It just makes it that much harder to do anything. People patting themselves on the back for getting Craigslist to censor itself are worsening the problem they think they're solving.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- New York Makes Playing Pokemon Go, Other Online Games A Sex Offender Parole Violation
- The Unbelievably True Story Of How Craigslist Murdered Over 100 People
- Former Bush Press Secretary Says The Answer To Mass Shootings Is... More Domestic Surveillance
- Appeals Court Issues Fantastic 1st Amendment Ruling Against Censorious Sheriff Thomas Dart In His Crusade Against The Internet
- NY Times Gets It Right: Officials Calling For More Surveillance Are Proven Liars; Don't Listen To Them