DailyDirt: Ironic Deaths

from the urls-we-dig-up dept

There are the Darwin Awards and the list of inventors who were killed by their own inventions. Death is always a serious topic, but sometimes the circumstances are just too bizarre not to be a bit amusing in some way. Here are just a few examples.

If you’d like to read more awesome and interesting stuff, check out this unrelated (but not entirely random!) Techdirt post.

Filed Under: , , , , ,

Rate this comment as insightful
Rate this comment as funny
You have rated this comment as insightful
You have rated this comment as funny
Flag this comment as abusive/trolling/spam
You have flagged this comment
The first word has already been claimed
The last word has already been claimed
Insightful Lightbulb icon Funny Laughing icon Abusive/trolling/spam Flag icon Insightful badge Lightbulb icon Funny badge Laughing icon Comments icon

Comments on “DailyDirt: Ironic Deaths”

Subscribe: RSS Leave a comment
12 Comments
Jesse (profile) says:

Number 1 and 2 are not ironic. Irony means it’s unexpected. It’s fully expected that someone who eats lots of fatty foods will die of a heart attack. There is nothing ironic about choking on cockroaches, unless it was a fundraiser for raising awareness of the benefits of eating cockroaches or something.

The last one is probably ironic, because he likely advocated for the safety of segways or something.

Adam Wasserman (profile) says:

Definition of irony. Anyone? Anyone?

None of those deaths are ironic. And irony does not mean it’s simply unexpected. Unexpected means it’s unexpected.

Irony means the use of words to express the opposite of the literal meaning, or an incongruous result – something that turns out the exact opposite of what one would naturally assume.

John Alleman living to be 100 years old while some notable health guru died at 50 would be ironic.

btr1701 (profile) says:

Re: Definition of irony. Anyone? Anyone?

Irony means the use of words to express
the opposite of the literal meaning, or
an incongruous result – something that
turns out the exact opposite of what one
would naturally assume.

Yes, but so many people use the word ‘irony’ incorrectly these days, that you are actually wrong for telling them they’re wrong. Apparently if a mistake becomes pervasive enough, the word suddenly doesn’t mean what it used to anymore.

‘Decimate’ is a prime example of this. Masnick constantly uses it in his articles here to mean ‘to completely destroy’ (as did Obama in last night’s State of the Union), when it actually means ‘to reduce by 10%’. Since that leaves 90% intact, being decimated really isn’t that serious of a blow.

However, the couple of times I’ve pointed it out, I’ve been told that I’m the one who’s actually wrong because no matter what the real definition of ‘decimate’ may be, most people think of it as a synonym for ‘annihilate’, so that’s what it now means.

I suspect a similar fate has befallen ‘irony’.

Add Your Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Have a Techdirt Account? Sign in now. Want one? Register here

Comment Options:

Make this the or (get credits or sign in to see balance) what's this?

What's this?

Techdirt community members with Techdirt Credits can spotlight a comment as either the "First Word" or "Last Word" on a particular comment thread. Credits can be purchased at the Techdirt Insider Shop »

Follow Techdirt

Techdirt Daily Newsletter

Techdirt Deals
Techdirt Insider Discord
The latest chatter on the Techdirt Insider Discord channel...
Loading...