Global Hackathons Prepared To Carry Forward The Work Of Aaron Swartz

from the keep-it-up dept

One of the key points we’ve tried to raise over and over again in the wake of Aaron Swartz’s death is that it’s important for people to carry on his work. We’ve seen it in a few places already — such as with academics freeing up their own work — but there’s much more to be done. That’s why it’s interesting to see plans around the globe for hackathons in Swartz’s memory. Who knows what will come out of those hackathons, but seeing more people working on technical solutions for better sharing information and knowledge seems like it can only be a good thing.

Filed Under: ,

Rate this comment as insightful
Rate this comment as funny
You have rated this comment as insightful
You have rated this comment as funny
Flag this comment as abusive/trolling/spam
You have flagged this comment
The first word has already been claimed
The last word has already been claimed
Insightful Lightbulb icon Funny Laughing icon Abusive/trolling/spam Flag icon Insightful badge Lightbulb icon Funny badge Laughing icon Comments icon

Comments on “Global Hackathons Prepared To Carry Forward The Work Of Aaron Swartz”

56 Comments
Anonymous Coward says:

First Mike post of the day… and it’s about Swartz. Shocker!

At least you’re being partially honest about your true beliefs about hacking. Instead of complaining about how others aren’t discussing the nuances of copying and copyright, why don’t you instead discuss those nuances.

Do you believe there should be ANY copyright rights? If so, what rights should we have, and what should their scope be?

Let’s actually discuss your beliefs about copyright directly and on the merits. Stop the high-level talk, and actually discuss the details for once.

I won’t hold my breath.

Re: Re: Re: Re:

And yet you can’t link to where Mike discusses in detail his beliefs about whether we should have copyright and if so what it should look like. Wanna see Mike run away? Ask him for details about pretty much anything he believes. His specialty is ripping apart everyone else’s beliefs, but then he can’t stand it if anyone asks him about his own.

Re: Re: Re:3 Re:

Please link to a post or a comment where Mike explains his belief as to whether we should have any copyright at all and if so what those rights should look like. You cannot. Mike has been ripping apart everyone else’s beliefs about copyright for years, yet he refuses to ever discuss directly his own beliefs. That should tell you lots about his sincerity and his mettle.

PaulT (profile) says:

Re: Re: Re:4 Re:

“You cannot. Mike has been ripping apart everyone else’s beliefs about copyright for years, yet he refuses to ever discuss directly his own beliefs.”

Funny. In most stories, Mike injects his own opinion. I don’t think I’ve ever seen your opinion – only pathetic attempts to rip apart everyone else’s beliefs about copyright. What are your own beliefs other than a sycophantic adherence to whatever the RIAA says at the time?

The difference is, at least Mike tends to learn his opponents’ actual stances. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any AC question my copyright stance without outright lying about it, for example.

I’d search for examples, but unlike Mike you don’t even have the gall to put a moniker with your posts so that you can account for it later. Whereas Mike has publicly posted things like this random example, which took me about 5 seconds to find with the same tools freely available to you: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100216/0234308176.shtml. I’m sure there’s many more posts even if you have to put more than 2 seconds of thought into understanding them, on top of a great number where his opinions are clearly stated even if they’re not the primary focus of the article.

Who’s insincere, again?

Re: Re: Re:5 Re:

PaulT, you know his moniker. That’s AJ you’re replying to. As I’ve said before, writing styles are incredibly unique. AJ gives himself away every time.

Helpful hints for those wanting to know when AJ is paying anonymously.

1. Look for attacks against Mike and his beliefs. Usually stated as “Mike never discusses his beliefs. Just attacks everyone else’s.” (Or something to that effect.)

2. Look for sarcastic use of the phrase “open and honest”.

3. Look for use of the words (or variations thereof) “run away”.

4. Keep an true out for loaded and definitive questions. Meaning keep an eye out for the use of the following phrase, “if blah blah blah then answer this one question”. Followed by a question which is extremely loaded and is absolute in nature, meaning there is only a “yes” or “no” answer to it (as far as AJ is concerned). (Keep in mind it is a loaded question and if he specifically ask Mike to just answer this one question he (AJ) will be content, behave, ask nothing further, etc. (Also keep in mind that any response on Mike’s part will lead to “okay, so answer this question…” Any non response will lead to further usage of “open and honest” and “run away”, as well as additional ad homs and the derailing of any and all future threads for at least a week. As well as AJ switching to bat shit crazy mode for a few days.)

And that about covers it. There are additional things, but those are the highlights/main ones that can be used to identify AJ when he doesn’t sign on in. Hope this is helpful to everyone.

Re: Re: Re:7 Re:

He has. Repeatedly. The evidence is all over the site, and has he has explained repeatedly, as well, he’s done taking the time for you and your childish attitude. The answers you are looking for are on the site, they just don’t mesh with your delusional beliefs so you ignore them. I’m not going to show you, either, because every time he has responded to you, you’ve totally ignored it. This is why you are a troll, this is why no one gives you a shred of trust or respect. You’ve tossed away all of your own authority to sit in the corner and whine at us.

Re: Re: Re:8 Re:

Yet he’s refusing to answer the question as to whether he thinks there should be any copyright. He’s never answered that question. He won’t be pinned down to any position so he can just shit all over everyone else’s. It’s so silly. He says he needs more data. Give me a break with the excuses.

Rikuo (profile) says:

Re: Re: Re:5 Re:

I hate the Westboro Baptist Church and Pastor Phelps for their beliefs, which basically boils down to: They Are Wrong.
I don’t obsess over it though. I don’t cyber-stalk them day after day, demanding they answer loaded questions. Having dismissed everything they say as irrelevant, I distanced myself from hearing anymore about them.

Re: Re: Re:6 Re:

Meh. I’m pointing out that he’s too cowardly to actually be pinned down on his position on copyright. He’s made thousands of posts ripping everyone else’s beliefs, but he won’t answer even the most basic question about his own beliefs. These are not the actions of a person interested in actually working through the issues and reaching a solution. These are the actions of a person who hates the world and everything in it.

Re: Re: Re:2 Re:

And your position is to take the opposite position because you don’t like his beliefs?

Okay, tell ya what. I’m pretty sure Masnick believes in breathing. But I don’t think he’s ever elaborated on that.

Are you going to stop breathing now? Please tell us you’ll do just that. You wouldn’t want to be inconsistent or hypocritical, would you?

Re: Re: Re:3 Re:

You don’t have to have a solution to know that the current system is BROKEN…

No, but by never discussing his own beliefs about copyright it’s easier for him to be hyper-critical of everyone else. The moment he admits that maybe there is something legitimate about copyright, he’ll have to confront the truth that defining the rights and determining their scope is a difficult task given all the competing considerations. But by never discussing it and by never taking a position, he’s able to just shit on everyone else’s beliefs. Obviously Mike doesn’t ever want to be pinned down on a position since that would mean actually confronting the issues and discussing a solution. He doesn’t want to do that. He just wants to whine.

Re: Re: Re:5 Re:

I’m happy to discuss my beliefs with you in detail (unlike Mike who is a complete and total fake and coward), but you’ll have to stop trying to provoke me with the wife comments. You can’t phase me with such nonsense. If you really want to chat on the merits, I’m here. I won’t run away like a little child that’s ashamed to say anything definite.

Re: Re: Re:6 Re:

Ashamed to say anything definite? Says the guy that insists that he only posts while logged in, then repeatedly trolls the site for years with nothing but insults, then drops the facade because people have started to call his bluff.

Yes, you’re the epitome and embodiment of righteousness and debate alright.

Machin Shin (profile) says:

Re: Re: Re: Re:

You know what though, sometimes if you look past the crazy ranting, you can find glimmers of a good idea in some of these posts.

That is to say, I think it would be fun to look through history and put together an example of what copyright law really should look like. Basically just consolidating all the ideas scattered across the site into one concise “Here it is”

Would be very interesting to see, something to dream about and push for. So nice goal to strive for and for those trolls it would be one of the most frightening posts they ever see.

PaulT (profile) says:

“At least you’re being partially honest about your true beliefs about hacking.”

Why, what’s wrong with hacking?

Oh, sorry, your dumb ass isn’t capable of understanding multiple definitions a word so you have to use the lazy tabloid writer’s definition.

“Let’s actually discuss your beliefs about copyright directly and on the merits.”

In every post you’ve launched an idiotic personal attack, a distortion of the words presented or a selective reading of the article and its responses to avoid having a nuanced discussion, it’s been right there. in black and white. but, you chose to ignore it in favour of more insults and lies.

You could go back and read the last decade’s worth of text here to understand what you’re asking for, but it’s easier to pretend that what you deliberately ignored doesn’t exist.

“I won’t hold my breath.”

I wish you would, or at least refrain from typing until you have something honest to say.

Anonymous Coward says:

Good grief. 15 years of ripping apart everyone else’s beliefs about copyright. 15 years of obsessing and thinking about copyright. 15 years of writing about copyright. Yet Mike refuses to take a position on whether there should be any copyright or not.

This, folks, is what I’m talking about. Thanks for coming into this thread and proving my point, Mike. You are the ultimate fence sitter. All you want to do is shit on everyone else’s beliefs, but you’re too scared to ever tell us your own.

Alana (profile) says:

Re: Re: Re: Re:

I honestly don’t care what his beliefs are

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh man, talk about dishonesty, and being a total fake.

I care that he’s too dishonest to discuss his own beliefs when he’s made criticizing other people’s beliefs his life’s work.

No, you aren’t intelligent enough to understand Mike’s answers, which he constantly gives you when you go on your spiel of “DEBATE ME MIKE HOMG”

What a coward.

It’s not cowardice to constantly state your beliefs to a person too thick to understand them and then walk away upon realising the pointlessness of the “debate”.

Go home, AJ, you’re drunk.