by Mike Masnick
Fri, Jan 20th 2012 8:34am
The writing has been on the wall for a long, long time, but now it's finally official. Harry Reid has announced that he will not move forward with PIPA and Lamar Smith has announced the same thing about SOPA. Both are listed as "delayed" and there's always a chance that they will come back in some form (potentially even nastier), but hopefully those on Capitol Hill have learned a big lesson about trying to mess with the internet... and what happens when you cut backroom deals to help one industry at the expense of the public.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Both The NFL And MLB Look To Expand Streaming Offerings By Ending Local Blackouts
- Defense Department Keeps Losing 'Sensitive' Explosives Gear, Then Finding It For Sale On Ebay
- Apple's Attempt At A TV Revolution Runs Face First Into Comcast Corporation
- Australians Get Their Own SOPA; Attorney General Doesn't Even Bother To See If His Censorship Regime Is Technically Feasible
- Why Are Some People So Intent On Making Netflix More Like Traditional TV?