by Mike Masnick
Fri, Jan 20th 2012 8:34am
The writing has been on the wall for a long, long time, but now it's finally official. Harry Reid has announced that he will not move forward with PIPA and Lamar Smith has announced the same thing about SOPA. Both are listed as "delayed" and there's always a chance that they will come back in some form (potentially even nastier), but hopefully those on Capitol Hill have learned a big lesson about trying to mess with the internet... and what happens when you cut backroom deals to help one industry at the expense of the public.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- The Cord Cutting The Cable Industry Says Isn't Happening, Keeps Happening
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 112: When A Typo Breaks The Internet
- Arizona House Kills Bill That Would Punish Protesters By Seizing Their Assets
- Top Russian Net Official Says Children Under 10 Shouldn't Go Online -- At All
- Arizona Legislators Approve Bill That Would Allow Government To Seize Assets From Protesters