by Mike Masnick
Wed, Jul 14th 2010 5:41pm
We've seen plenty of stories about crowdfunded movies, but most have been by little known filmmakers. There was some talk about how Kevin Smith might crowdfund his Red State project, but after the success of Cop Out, traditional movie financiers stepped in and did the deal instead. So it's interesting to see another well known filmmaker testing the waters on crowdfunding. Shocklee points us to the news that David Lynch is going to experiment with crowdfunding a new documentary. It's a pretty simple crowdfunding setup. No tiers. Just one price: $50. And with that you get to choose between a limited edition print (a self-portrait by Lynch), a t-shirt or a tote bag. I'm sure plenty will pay up, though, I'm surprised he didn't try more interesting tiers -- at both higher and lower prices.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- DailyDirt: Another Golden Era Of Spaceflight Ahead..?
- Awesome Stuff: The Truth About Encryption
- What Our Supporters Are Saying About Techdirt's Coverage Of Encryption
- Journalism Professor Dan Gillmor On Why You Should Support Techdirt's Crowdfunding Campaign
- Author And Former Covert CIA Operative Barry Eisler On Why You Should Support Techdirt