by Mike Masnick
Fri, Jan 23rd 2009 10:15am
Last year, we wrote about Monty Python's decision to put all its content online for free hoping that would drive people to buy more of its scarce goods -- such as DVDs. And, as a bunch of you have submitted, it appears to have worked wonders. Monty Pyton's DVD sales jumped an astounding 23,000% and are now the number 2 best selling item in the Movies & TV category on Amazon.com. Who was it that said "you can't compete with free" again?
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 45: No, You're Not The Product
- Train Simulator 2016 And How We've Reached The Crest Of The Dumb DLC Wave
- You Can Now Turn Off Ads On Techdirt
- Early YouTube Musician Explains How Signing Major Label Deal 'Nearly Destroyed My Career'
- FTC Spotlights The Reputation Hole Machinima Dug For Itself With Undisclosed Paid Xbox Pimp-Posts