by Mike Masnick
Thu, Aug 28th 2008 6:38pm
We report on so many stories where technology is used in bad or oppressive ways, that it's important to note when it's being used in positive ways as well. Technology, itself, is just a tool that can be used in both good and bad ways (not to mention neutral ways), but somehow the good ways don't always get as much attention. CNN has an article detailing how the rise of mobile phones throughout Africa is helping in making elections that are more fair. It's certainly not perfect yet, but the ability to communicate has allowed citizens to report abuses of the election process and get the word out when they see any kind of cheating happening.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- FBI Director: Our Electronic Voting System Is Such A Complete Mess, It Would Be Difficult To Hack
- Federal Election Commission To Crack Down On 'Deez Nuts' As Presidential Candidate
- Bruce Schneier Sounds The Alarm: If You're Worried About Russians Hacking, Maybe Help Fix Voting Machine Security
- Lawmakers From The Great Theocracy Of Utah Looking To Block Porn On Cell Phones
- Podcast Episode 71: Should Internet Companies Sway Elections?