by Mike Masnick
Thu, Aug 28th 2008 6:38pm
We report on so many stories where technology is used in bad or oppressive ways, that it's important to note when it's being used in positive ways as well. Technology, itself, is just a tool that can be used in both good and bad ways (not to mention neutral ways), but somehow the good ways don't always get as much attention. CNN has an article detailing how the rise of mobile phones throughout Africa is helping in making elections that are more fair. It's certainly not perfect yet, but the ability to communicate has allowed citizens to report abuses of the election process and get the word out when they see any kind of cheating happening.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Wireless Carriers Sue Over Berkeley's Cell Phone Radiation Warnings
- South Korea's New Law Mandates Installation Of Government-Approved Spyware On Teens' Smartphones
- Verizon Wireless Tells 'Price Sensitive' Customers It Doesn't Want Them, Declares It Doesn't Need To Truly Compete
- Banks Now Eyeing Cell Phone Metadata To Determine Your Loan Risk
- Portland Police Bravely Defend Public From Homeless Woman Looking To Charge Her Cell Phone