by Mike Masnick
Thu, Aug 28th 2008 6:38pm
We report on so many stories where technology is used in bad or oppressive ways, that it's important to note when it's being used in positive ways as well. Technology, itself, is just a tool that can be used in both good and bad ways (not to mention neutral ways), but somehow the good ways don't always get as much attention. CNN has an article detailing how the rise of mobile phones throughout Africa is helping in making elections that are more fair. It's certainly not perfect yet, but the ability to communicate has allowed citizens to report abuses of the election process and get the word out when they see any kind of cheating happening.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- AT&T's Version Of Wireless Price Competition: Raising Prices
- African Nations Agree To Plant Variety Treaty; Traditional Farmers' Group Shut Out From Negotiations
- We're Still Cultural Nitwits When It Comes To Cell Phone Etiquette And Enforcement
- America's Best Has Some Fun With Scott Walker's Super-Similar Campaign Logo
- Top RIAA Exec: There's No More Music In Africa And The Middle East Because They Need Stronger Copyright