by Carlo Longino

Steve Jobs Fires Latest Salvo In Apple-Moto War Of Words

from the no-lovefest-here dept

The "we're a happy family" act between Apple and Motorola lasted for about 15 minutes after the launch of the iTunes phone, until Apple completely stole the thunder by unveiling the iPod nano. The verdict? Boo for the ROKR, which hasn't sold well, and yay for the nano, which has. This, of course lead to Moto's CEO saying "screw the nano," while an Apple exec later trashed the ROKR. Now, Steve Jobs -- who labeled working on the ROKR as a learning experience for Apple -- has made the latest statement, or non-statement, really. He said in an interview that Apple isn't done with mobile phones, adding "Cingular has been great to work with" -- leaving out any mention of its actual handset partner. It really sounds like the Apple-Motorola partnership is finished, with the question now being if Apple will work with another manufacturer or finally bring out the long-rumored "iPhone" on its own.

Reader Comments

Subscribe: RSS

View by: Time | Thread

  • identicon
    Ben, 18 Oct 2005 @ 11:14am


    And while they fight between themselves, Sony quietly comes out with a REAL music phone: the W900.

    reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    Anonymous Coward, 18 Oct 2005 @ 12:40pm

    No Subject Given

    jobs has said that the carriers hold all the power, so no surprise that Apple would cowtow to them

    reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

  • identicon
    Boo, 19 Oct 2005 @ 9:20am


    I was looking forward to the eventual release of an iPhone, until Jobs pinned his colours to the mast with the whole video download thing. Rather than complete his media centre iMac by including TV watch/record features, he chose to attempt to charge us to buy poor quality video downloads. Shame...

    We can no doublt look forward to mobile access to iTunes being restricted to gprs/ 3g downloads rather than sync with itunes... or something equally crap the delivers 90% - at least we can count on someone hacking the remaining 10% on download.com!

    reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

Add Your Comment

Have a Techdirt Account? Sign in now. Want one? Register here
Get Techdirt’s Daily Email
Use markdown for basic formatting. HTML is no longer supported.
  Save me a cookie
Follow Techdirt
Techdirt Gear
Show Now: Takedown
Report this ad  |  Hide Techdirt ads
Essential Reading
Techdirt Deals
Report this ad  |  Hide Techdirt ads
Techdirt Insider Chat
Report this ad  |  Hide Techdirt ads
Recent Stories
Report this ad  |  Hide Techdirt ads


Email This

This feature is only available to registered users. Register or sign in to use it.