Some Downloaders Don't Buy Albums

from the more-fuel-for-the-fire dept

A new study to throw some fuel on the fire of the music downloading debate. This study says that 5.5% of people who have been downloading music haven’t been buying CDs. I’m sure the music industry will use this to say there’s a growing trend of people who are freeloading. However, I think 5.5% is pretty small, and there’s no indication that these people would have bought CDs if they hadn’t downloaded the music. They might have just listened to the radio. Plus, any additional buying from the other 94.5% could very easily over compensate for the CDs the 5.5% didn’t buy.

Rate this comment as insightful
Rate this comment as funny
You have rated this comment as insightful
You have rated this comment as funny
Flag this comment as abusive/trolling/spam
You have flagged this comment
The first word has already been claimed
The last word has already been claimed
Insightful Lightbulb icon Funny Laughing icon Abusive/trolling/spam Flag icon Insightful badge Lightbulb icon Funny badge Laughing icon Comments icon

Comments on “Some Downloaders Don't Buy Albums”

Subscribe: RSS Leave a comment
u2604ab says:

No Subject Given

I’m one of the 5%.

At the beginning of the mp3 craze, I bought more retail albums than I had during the past 10 years — simply because I could listen and know that I _really_ liked the shit before throwing down cash. So often in the past, I’d bought an album for one song, and hated the rest of the record. That stopped happening.

When the record companies started bitching, suing, and greed-mongering, I decided to no longer support the bastards with my dollars. They can kill Napster, but they’ll never kill Gnutella.

Add Your Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a Techdirt Account? Sign in now. Want one? Register here

Comment Options:

Make this the or (get credits or sign in to see balance) what's this?

What's this?

Techdirt community members with Techdirt Credits can spotlight a comment as either the "First Word" or "Last Word" on a particular comment thread. Credits can be purchased at the Techdirt Insider Shop »

Follow Techdirt

Techdirt Daily Newsletter

Techdirt Deals
Techdirt Insider Discord
The latest chatter on the Techdirt Insider Discord channel...