by Mike Masnick
Mon, Mar 12th 2012 11:42am
Lamar Smith has really become the enemy of the internet. He's the main sponsor behind both SOPA and the very dangerous data retention bill that he disguised as an anti-child porn bill, even though it does nothing to stop child porn. Don't think the internet hasn't noticed. With lots of internet folks in Austin (part of which is covered by Lamar Smith's district), Erik Marin (GM of Reddit) and Holmes Wilson (co-founder of Fight for the Future) had the bright idea to buy a billboard in Smith's district with the slogan: Don't Mess with the Internet. The final design of the billboard is still being worked on, but Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian jumped right in and set up a crowdfunding campaign to try to raise the necessary $15,000. Feel free to join in and help send Lamar Smith a message...
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Despite Lack Of Evidence It Will Help, Australia Still Planning To Bring In Data Retention, Still Not Clear If It Could Be Used Against Copyright Infringement
- European Commission Wants Collection And Retention Of Passenger Data For Everyone Flying In And Out Of Europe
- Latest EU Country With Legal Challenge To Blanket Data Retention: The Netherlands
- European Parliament Study Likely To Boost Legal Challenges To Blanket Data Retention In Europe
- MPAA Wants Regulators To Force ISPs To Block Sites 'At The Border'