by Mike Masnick
Thu, Jun 9th 2011 11:19am
It may seem like we've been particularly tough on the French government lately, but it keeps doing ridiculous things. The latest, as written up by Guillaume Champeau, is that it has built its own giant patent trolling operation, funded with €100 million (Google translation from the original French). The operation, called "France Brevets" or "France Patents," will buy up patents from small operations and put the French government in charge of "licensing" (read: shaking down companies for money). Think of it as Intellectual Ventures, but run by the French government.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Monsanto And Syngenta About To Receive Dozens Of Patents On Unpatentable Plants
- Patent Troll's Frivolous Attack On Startup Forces Startup To Sell Out To Another Patent Troll
- UK Government Review Says Use Prizes, Not Patents, To Produce Much-Needed New Antibiotics
- Here's A Serious Alternative To Big Pharma: Cuba
- California Supreme Court Shows How Pharma 'Pay For Delay' Can Violate Antitrust Laws