by Mike Masnick
Thu, Jun 9th 2011 11:19am
It may seem like we've been particularly tough on the French government lately, but it keeps doing ridiculous things. The latest, as written up by Guillaume Champeau, is that it has built its own giant patent trolling operation, funded with €100 million (Google translation from the original French). The operation, called "France Brevets" or "France Patents," will buy up patents from small operations and put the French government in charge of "licensing" (read: shaking down companies for money). Think of it as Intellectual Ventures, but run by the French government.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- TPP Will Override Five Years Of Democratic Discussion About Software Patents In New Zealand
- Contrary To What You've Heard, TPP Will Undermine US Law -- Including Supreme Court Decisions
- Google To French Regulators Looking To Expand 'Right To Be Forgotten' Globally: Forget About It
- Obviously, No One Ever Would Have Thought Of Remote Controlled Sex Toys Without This Patent
- Chinese Smartphone Leader Xiaomi Adds Special New Feature In Order To Enter US Market -- A Patent Hoard