by Mike Masnick
Thu, Jun 9th 2011 11:19am
It may seem like we've been particularly tough on the French government lately, but it keeps doing ridiculous things. The latest, as written up by Guillaume Champeau, is that it has built its own giant patent trolling operation, funded with €100 million (Google translation from the original French). The operation, called "France Brevets" or "France Patents," will buy up patents from small operations and put the French government in charge of "licensing" (read: shaking down companies for money). Think of it as Intellectual Ventures, but run by the French government.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Unpatentable Vegetables Are Now Patentable In Europe
- Subway, McDonald's And Burger King Sued Over GPS Tracking Patent... Or Something
- Does Patent Licensing by Patent Trolls - Or Anyone - Serve A Useful Purpose?
- Beyond Freedom Of Information Requests: Freedom Of Code Requests
- Jury Sympathetic To Life360's CEO Sending 'Dear Piece Of Shit' Letter To Patent Troll; Says Patents Not Infringed