by Mike Masnick
Tue, Dec 7th 2010 7:02am
Here's a quick one, via Julian Sanchez, who sums the following Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal comic up perfectly: "A short lesson on terrorism, risk assessment, & the availability heuristic"
There are trade-offs to everything we do, and we're still way too focused on this idea of perfect security, while at the same time ignoring the much higher risks in other areas of our lives. This doesn't mean that you ignore risks such as terrorism, but you don't overreact to them. You look for effective solutions, not theatrical solutions.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Clapper: The Attacks We Didn't Prevent In The Past Can't Be Prevented In The Future If Section 215 Is Allowed To Die
- Is Retweeting ISIS 'Material Support Of Terrorism'?
- NYPD Social Media Monitoring Policy Allows For Use Of Aliases, Has Exceptions For Terrorist Activity
- Terrorized Into Irrationality: UK Police Demand Names of Charlie Hebdo *Supporters*
- French Government Declares Independence From Free Speech: Broad Internet Take-Down Powers Now In Place