by Mike Masnick
Thu, Sep 16th 2010 12:46pm
A few folks have been sending in various versions of the fact that the San Louis Obispo police department has decided that the infamous Pedobear meme is something that people need to be warned about because "PedoBear is and should be associated with Internet pedophiles/sexually-preferential offenders who reportedly use him to communicate their interests in young children to each other."
Of course, this ignores what the Pedobear meme is really about -- which is more of a 4chan /b/ "you're being creepy" sorta of thing, which expanded to take on a life of its own (in typical /b/ meme fashion). Amusingly, the police also complain about an internet jokester (with too much free time) dressing up like Pedobear at Comic Con and handing out candy -- noting that after police discovered him, he was "excluded from this family-friendly event." Watch out, Rick Astley, you may be next.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Body Cam Footage Clears Police Officer Of Bogus Sexual Assault Allegations
- Dallas PD Guts Specifics From Citizen Recording Policy, Leaving Only Vague Reminder To Respect Pre-Existing Rights
- An Innocent Pressure Cooker Pays The Price In The War On Terror
- Court Reminds Police That Refusing A Search Isn't Inherently Suspicious Behavior
- New York District Court Denies Immunity To NYPD Officers Who Arrested A Citizen For Filming Them