by Mike Masnick
Thu, Feb 19th 2009 8:31am
For all the talk about the benefits of giving away music for free as opposed to charging for it, it appears that one indie bands is going even further: it will pay you $1 to download its songs. The band, Officer Roseland, has set up a website called MyStimulusPackage.org, where it offers to pay people $1 to download its new album. You actually have the option of having the $1 sent to you via PayPal... or donated to charity (I chose to donate). It's obviously a gimmick (and, I'm guessing the band will shut down the offer if it reaches a certain budgeted amount), but as we hear all sorts of bands whining about not getting "paid" it's quite interesting to see a band go in the opposite direction.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Prince Gives Away Someone Else's Artistic Efforts, Gets Sued
- Competition In The Music Space Is Great: Fragmentation In The Music Space Is Dangerous
- Awesome Stuff: Headphones & Helpers
- Bad Copyright Laws Scaring Off Necessary Investment In New Digital Platforms
- Elon Musk Clarifies That Tesla's Patents Really Are Free; Investor Absolutely Freaks Out