by Mike Masnick
Thu, Jul 31st 2008 5:45am
Anyone want to take a guess on when we'll see the first laws proposed to ban the practice of walking-while-texting? We've already seen a few proposals that would ban walking and talking in a crosswalk. And, to add some fuel to the fire, some ER doctors are warning people who walk and text at the same time that it's risky behavior. The doctors say they're seeing a rise in reports of people walking and texting at the same time, leading to some sort of injury, including two people who were hit by a car after paying more attention to their phone than oncoming traffic. Since technopanics always seem to start with a news article, just wait for someone to propose a law against this -- rather than insisting that perhaps it's time to institute a little common sense. Update: Apparently, I'm too late. At least one state has already proposed just such a law.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Corporate Sovereignty Used To Bully Ukraine, Colombia And Italy For Protecting Public Health And The Environment
- City Passes Ordinance Mandating CCTV Surveillance By Businesses, Including Doctors And Lawyers Offices
- Canadian Police Use Cell Tower Dumps To Text 7,500 Possible Murder Witnesses
- Johnny Manziel's Lawyer Accidentally Texts The AP And Then Threatens To Sue Them If They Report On It
- DailyDirt: Fountains Of Youth...