by Mike Masnick
Tue, Jul 22nd 2008 1:42pm
At some point, people need to realize that there are some people out there who just do jerkry things. In fact, at some point or another, probably most everyone is a jerk to someone else. It's no fun to be on the receiving end of someone being a jerk -- but it happens. However, in the last few years, there's been this silly focus on trying to turn online jerks into criminals. We've already highlighted such an effort underway in the US, but now a bunch of teachers in Canada are pushing to make cyberbullying a criminal offense. Yes, it's important to deal with cyberbullies, but charging them with a crime clearly goes too far.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- New Economic Study Indicates EU-Canada Trade Deal Will Cause 'Unemployment, Inequality And Welfare Losses'
- Canadian Law Enforcement Want Government To Force People To Turn Over Their Passwords
- Canadian Law Enforcement Admit -- And Then Deny -- They Own A Stingray Device
- Canadian Court Says No Expectation Of Privacy In SMS Messages Residing On Someone Else's Phone
- Canadian Judge Tosses Case After Finding Law Enforcement Entrapped Supposed Terrorists