by Mike Masnick
Tue, Jul 22nd 2008 1:42pm
At some point, people need to realize that there are some people out there who just do jerkry things. In fact, at some point or another, probably most everyone is a jerk to someone else. It's no fun to be on the receiving end of someone being a jerk -- but it happens. However, in the last few years, there's been this silly focus on trying to turn online jerks into criminals. We've already highlighted such an effort underway in the US, but now a bunch of teachers in Canada are pushing to make cyberbullying a criminal offense. Yes, it's important to deal with cyberbullies, but charging them with a crime clearly goes too far.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Moosehead Vs. Mus Knuckle: The Most Canadian Trademark Spat Ever
- Canada Temporarily Drops Out Of Five Eyes Spying Coalition, After Realizing It Wasn't Properly Protecting Information
- Canadian Supreme Court Tightens Up Rules On Law Enforcement's Use Of Cell Tower Dumps
- Judge In Free Speech Case Over Twitter Fight Apparently Fooled By Parody Account
- Judge Tosses Out Criminal Case In Canada Over Twitter Fight