by Mike Masnick
Tue, Jul 22nd 2008 1:42pm
At some point, people need to realize that there are some people out there who just do jerkry things. In fact, at some point or another, probably most everyone is a jerk to someone else. It's no fun to be on the receiving end of someone being a jerk -- but it happens. However, in the last few years, there's been this silly focus on trying to turn online jerks into criminals. We've already highlighted such an effort underway in the US, but now a bunch of teachers in Canada are pushing to make cyberbullying a criminal offense. Yes, it's important to deal with cyberbullies, but charging them with a crime clearly goes too far.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Struggling Canadian News Agencies Ask Government For A 'Google Tax'
- 'For The Children' Cyberbullying Law Running Into Opposition From Groups Actually Concerned About Children
- Canadian Regulators Declare 50 Mbps To Be The New Broadband Standard
- Bethesda Bullies One Of Its Creative Fans Over Website Metatags
- Canadian 'Fashion Santa' Fight Leads To Copyright vs Trademark Food Fight