by Mike Masnick
Tue, Jul 22nd 2008 1:42pm
At some point, people need to realize that there are some people out there who just do jerkry things. In fact, at some point or another, probably most everyone is a jerk to someone else. It's no fun to be on the receiving end of someone being a jerk -- but it happens. However, in the last few years, there's been this silly focus on trying to turn online jerks into criminals. We've already highlighted such an effort underway in the US, but now a bunch of teachers in Canada are pushing to make cyberbullying a criminal offense. Yes, it's important to deal with cyberbullies, but charging them with a crime clearly goes too far.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- IsoHunt Settles The Last Of Its Lawsuits, Laughably Agrees To 'Pay' Recording Industry $66 Million
- Treaty For The Blind Comes Into Force... But US Refuses To Ratify Because Publishers Association Hates Any User Rights
- American Copyright Trolls Continue To Abuse Canadian Courts In Search Of Easy Settlements
- Canada Post Drops Ridiculous Copyright Lawsuit Over Crowdsourced Postal Code
- Cop Abuses Bad Cyberbullying Law To Arrest Man For Calling Him A Pedophile To His Face