by Mike Masnick
Tue, Jul 22nd 2008 1:42pm
At some point, people need to realize that there are some people out there who just do jerkry things. In fact, at some point or another, probably most everyone is a jerk to someone else. It's no fun to be on the receiving end of someone being a jerk -- but it happens. However, in the last few years, there's been this silly focus on trying to turn online jerks into criminals. We've already highlighted such an effort underway in the US, but now a bunch of teachers in Canada are pushing to make cyberbullying a criminal offense. Yes, it's important to deal with cyberbullies, but charging them with a crime clearly goes too far.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Cop Abuses Bad Cyberbullying Law To Arrest Man For Calling Him A Pedophile To His Face
- After Nine Years Of Censorship, Canada Finally Unmuzzles Its Scientists
- US Court System Just Another Extension Of The Government's Ongoing Opacity Project
- USTR: Foreign Governments Engaging In Censorship And Rights Abuses Should Add IP Enforcement To Their 'To Do' Lists
- Copyright Maximalists And Lobbyists Celebrate Vancouver Aquarium Censoring Critical Documentary With Copyright