by Mike Masnick
Tue, Jul 22nd 2008 1:42pm
At some point, people need to realize that there are some people out there who just do jerkry things. In fact, at some point or another, probably most everyone is a jerk to someone else. It's no fun to be on the receiving end of someone being a jerk -- but it happens. However, in the last few years, there's been this silly focus on trying to turn online jerks into criminals. We've already highlighted such an effort underway in the US, but now a bunch of teachers in Canada are pushing to make cyberbullying a criminal offense. Yes, it's important to deal with cyberbullies, but charging them with a crime clearly goes too far.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- US Pressured Japan, Canada, New Zealand And Others Into Extending Copyright
- Voltage Pictures Has To Pay $22k To Canadian ISP If It Wants Names For Its Shakedown Scheme
- France Says Corporate Sovereignty Must Come Out Of CETA, Or Be Replaced By Something Completely Different
- Court Upholds Decision Against Trademark-Bullying AIDS Denialist, But More Needs To Be Done To Deter Censorious Lawsuits
- Canadian Town Bans Spitting, Swearing And Gathering In Groups Of Three Or More