by Mike Masnick
Tue, Jul 22nd 2008 1:42pm
At some point, people need to realize that there are some people out there who just do jerkry things. In fact, at some point or another, probably most everyone is a jerk to someone else. It's no fun to be on the receiving end of someone being a jerk -- but it happens. However, in the last few years, there's been this silly focus on trying to turn online jerks into criminals. We've already highlighted such an effort underway in the US, but now a bunch of teachers in Canada are pushing to make cyberbullying a criminal offense. Yes, it's important to deal with cyberbullies, but charging them with a crime clearly goes too far.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Canada Opens Incumbent Fiber Networks To Competition, Cue The Hysteria
- State Of Georgia Sues Carl Malamud For Copyright Infringement For Publishing The State's Own Laws
- TPP Likely To Force Canada To Repeal Local Data Protection Laws
- Canadian Court Says Google Isn't A 'Publisher,' Not Responsible For Defamatory Content Returned In Search Results
- Takedown First Means Takedown Fun: Toronto Mayor's Fun Kanye West Video Killed By Copyright