by Mike Masnick
Mon, Mar 24th 2008 12:23pm
Michael Geist points us to the news that telemarketing firms are coming up with bogus reasons why a Canadian Do Not Call List is dangerous. The latest is particularly ridiculous. They're afraid (no, seriously) that people will upload other people's phone numbers to the list -- and those people might actually want to hear from telemarketers, but will not be able to get their daily dose of dinner-time interruptions thanks to the nefarious uploaders. Seriously. Of course, there's an easy response to these claims by telemarketers. Just point out that telemarketers made similarly ridiculous claims prior to the US implementing a Do Not Call list a few years back, and nothing horrible happened then.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Canadian Law Enforcement Want Government To Force People To Turn Over Their Passwords
- Canadian Law Enforcement Admit -- And Then Deny -- They Own A Stingray Device
- Canadian Court Says No Expectation Of Privacy In SMS Messages Residing On Someone Else's Phone
- Canadian Judge Tosses Case After Finding Law Enforcement Entrapped Supposed Terrorists
- Canadian Comedian Plans To Appeal $42k For A Joke That Insulted Someone