by Mike Masnick
Mon, Mar 24th 2008 12:23pm
Michael Geist points us to the news that telemarketing firms are coming up with bogus reasons why a Canadian Do Not Call List is dangerous. The latest is particularly ridiculous. They're afraid (no, seriously) that people will upload other people's phone numbers to the list -- and those people might actually want to hear from telemarketers, but will not be able to get their daily dose of dinner-time interruptions thanks to the nefarious uploaders. Seriously. Of course, there's an easy response to these claims by telemarketers. Just point out that telemarketers made similarly ridiculous claims prior to the US implementing a Do Not Call list a few years back, and nothing horrible happened then.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Moosehead Vs. Mus Knuckle: The Most Canadian Trademark Spat Ever
- Canada Temporarily Drops Out Of Five Eyes Spying Coalition, After Realizing It Wasn't Properly Protecting Information
- Canadian Supreme Court Tightens Up Rules On Law Enforcement's Use Of Cell Tower Dumps
- Judge In Free Speech Case Over Twitter Fight Apparently Fooled By Parody Account
- Judge Tosses Out Criminal Case In Canada Over Twitter Fight