Do Not Call List Is Working, Mostly

from the when-does-the-economy-get-destroyed? dept

It appears that the national “do not call” list is working. Almost everyone on the list (92%) says that they receive fewer telemarketing calls with 25% saying they receive none at all. That still leaves 75% receiving calls, so it hasn’t been a total success just yet. However, the FCC says that the number of complaints is dropping every month, so it seems that the telemarketers who couldn’t figure out how to deal with the list are finally paying attention. As someone who never really received very many telemarketing calls (thanks to an unlisted home number), it hasn’t made much of a difference for me. However, I have noticed an increase in the number of telemarketing calls that are somehow connected to companies I have done business with. For example, a few nights ago, I received a very pushy call from a company who got the number from one of my credit card companies – and tried to fast talk their way into signing me up for some ridiculous monthly service that would give me cheaper gas or something. I imagine this is how telemarketers are getting around the do not call issue. They’re teaming up with companies who fit into the do not call loophole of having an established business relationship, and then using the same dirty tricks to get you to sign up for stuff.

Add Your Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a Techdirt Account? Sign in now. Want one? Register here

Comment Options:

Make this the or (get credits or sign in to see balance) what's this?

What's this?

Techdirt community members with Techdirt Credits can spotlight a comment as either the "First Word" or "Last Word" on a particular comment thread. Credits can be purchased at the Techdirt Insider Shop »

Follow Techdirt

Techdirt Daily Newsletter

Techdirt Deals
Techdirt Insider Discord
The latest chatter on the Techdirt Insider Discord channel...