Fake Bank Website Used In 419 Scam
from the and-so-it-goes dept
The BBC is being unusually secretive in detailing the latest method used by so-called “419” free money scammers. They registered a domain name which was a variation on a UK bank that the bank itself hadn’t registered. They then created a fake, but realistic looking bank site to go along with it, and let the victims view their “account” to see all the money they would never be getting their hands on. Oddly, the article never says which bank it is, though they say that bank has now taken possession of the domain name. The big “variation” was that the domain the scammers used included the word “the” before the name of the bank.
Comments on “Fake Bank Website Used In 419 Scam”
I hate to say it
But this is the oldest trick in the book! Way back in 1996 I knew a guy who was drumming up consulting business by registering bankx.net when the banks only had their .com name secured and then setting up a fake log in screen. He was careful to not save any data entered, just the fact that somebody tried. Then he would call CIO’s of the banks and try to get an appt. It worked about 25% of the time. The other 75% resulted in a certified letter from a lawyer!
No Subject Given
similar to the above comment, I remember several sites that copied paypal’s site layout, when Paypal was offering $10 for registering your credit card information. They’d have links which looked just like paypal, but redirected to this fake site. Then they’d take your Credit card and do whatever with it…
I know one such fraud online bank’s website, going by the name of www,continentaltrustbank.net. On doing a whois search on the website, i gathered some more information about the owner who happens to be from UK. I have sounded this alarm many a times by mailing national security, interpol, and also posting on the forums of many websites but to no avail.
Re: bank name
continentaltrustbank is now in cahoots with standardtrustinternationalbankplc from Nigeria. They are looking for my $18000 deposit to open an account. I luv to read their stories. Boy are they EVER good!!
Re: CONTINENTAL TRUST BANK PLC
THESE SCAM ARTISTS HAVE EMAILED ME.PLEASE HELP.
Re: i know him
well……i think i know him hes been tryin to contact ……….me….for some reasons
Nigerian National Petroleum Corp - continentaltrus
Similar situations, fake contracts for employment,
fake bank operated in the UK in manchester,
here is the details
Continental trust bank and security
Manchester United Kingdom
To open an account with us I will like you to know that the kind of account
the Nigeria national petroleum cooperation, use to pay there contractor that
you are asking us to open for you is a diplomatic account,
The account is a current account that you can pay in money check and draft and
receive and transfer money from any bank in the world boat in and out of the
account and have online internet transfer banking facility that you can
transfer as much money that you want in a day in and out,
For we to be able to open the account for you this are the requirement,
(1) What do you do for a living?
(2) What are you expecting to be using the account for (A) for salary wages
(B) for what
(3) We need to know if you are resident in United Kingdom yes or no if yes we
need you to provide us with the full address if no we need you to provide us
with your full address where you are resident now,
(4) Your identification international passport or driving license,
(5) Your tell mobile number and fax
Provide us with the details require and we will have the account open for you
in 24 our,
Thank you for wanting to open account with us,
Mr. Mike Williams.
Continental trust bank and security,
Contact person; Mr.MIKE WILLIAMS
we are a local winery in the south of france and we received this one today:
We write to confirm reciept of a Payment Order with the Total Invoice Value of (79,500.00) of Proforma Invoice No:RR0604 Dated 04/13/ 2006.
To enable us process your Payment Order and credit payment to your nominated Bank A/C,please print and fill out the appropriate spaces of the (2)Forms: Foriegn Transfer Form/Payment Release Order Form attached herewith and submit back to us by return e-mail or Fax.
Thanks for choosing our services.
Ms. Gloria Adebajo
Transfer Operations Department
Continental Trust Bank Plc
1400 P.M.B Awolowo Way Victoria Island
je viens par la presente demander une confirmation pour l,ouverture de compte a CONTINENTALE TRUST BANK AND SECURITY (MANCHESTER UNITED KINDOM) bien vouloir me donner les conditions
stupid fools just everywhere you look
Pissed off so, Free Account