Yahoo Zed Finalized

A month and a half ago we posted a rumor that Yahoo was in talks to buy Finnish wireless portal company Sonera Zed. Today they finally announced that they bought 15% of the company for about $14.6 million (15 million euros). Part of the deal, though, gives them the option of taking over the other 85% during the next two years. While Zed has been something of a disappointment, it will be interesting to see what Yahoo does with it – and if their Yahoo’s expertise with portals and Zed’s expertise with wireless can actually combine to create a better wireless portal experience. Of course, after watching Yahoo’s recent (non-wireless) trends, you have to wonder if this means Sonera Zed will now start offering wireless pop ups on every page you try to view…

Add Your Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Have a Techdirt Account? Sign in now. Want one? Register here

Comment Options:

Make this the or (get credits or sign in to see balance) what's this?

What's this?

Techdirt community members with Techdirt Credits can spotlight a comment as either the "First Word" or "Last Word" on a particular comment thread. Credits can be purchased at the Techdirt Insider Shop »

Follow Techdirt

Techdirt Daily Newsletter

Techdirt Deals
Techdirt Insider Discord
The latest chatter on the Techdirt Insider Discord channel...