Lots of folks around the world are concerned about energy issues, and different governments are taking different approaches to the issue. There's always talk about trying to wean people off of being dependent on certain types of energy, or at least lessening the amount needed. Over in the UK, they're apparently looking into outlawing the "standby" mode in electronics, complaining that it eats up too much electricity. Instead, people are going to need to turn stuff off. Of course, if those things take a long time to boot up, the opposite is going to occur. Rather than turn off, people will just leave them on constantly -- perhaps eating up even more electricity. There are some other interesting proposals that try to convince people to lower their energy consumption -- but it remains to be seen whether or not anyone is willing to give up convenience to save on their energy bill.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- ACLU Calls For Ban On Nonlethal Weapons In Schools After Tased Student Ends Up In Coma
- Lightning Strikes Twice: Wannabe Murderer Butt-Dials His Almost-Victim
- Companies Developing Crowd Analysis Programs To Detect 'Abnormalities' In Behavior And Match Faces Against Giant Databases
- Facebook Needs To Learn It Can't Teach Tolerance By Acting As An Overzealous Censor
- Microsoft To Encrypt Data Center Links; Says NSA Hacking Would Be Unconstitutional