Earlier this year, Netflix surprised a number of people by publicly announcing that Amazon was going to enter their market and rent DVDs. Today came the expected announcement... with one major twist: Amazon is only renting DVDs in the UK. Obviously, it's likely that they'll expand to the US at some point, but it makes you wonder if Netflix jumped the gun in expecting competition from Amazon after finding out their plans to launch in the UK -- a market Netflix still doesn't serve. They had actually planned to launch there sometime this year, but delayed those plans after (you guessed it) they figured they wanted to focus on the US to deal with the impending Amazonian threat.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- NSA FOIA Response Claims Data On Vendor Contracts 'Unsearchable'
- Eric Schmidt Claims Google Considered Moving Its Servers Out Of The US To Avoid The NSA
- DailyDirt: Not So Secret Nuclear Weapons
- Apparently James Clapper And The NSA Don't See Eye-To-Eye On Transparency
- 2009: Man Buys 5000 Bitcoins For $27, Forgets About Them. 2013: Man Rediscovers His Bitcoins, Now Worth $886,000