So, we actually heard about this a couple weeks ago, when someone (who knew) passed on the fact that Yahoo had bought Oddpost in an attempt to fight back against the Gmail craze. Now, though, the deal is official, so it's okay to talk about it (though it had been hinted at earlier this week). It's really not that surprising, after all. Yahoo knew they needed to upgrade their email, and Oddpost has a great reputation for their interface. You can be sure that Yahoo wasn't the only company sniffing around and debating whether or not to buy up Oddpost. While it's probably not going to be the lead in most stories, it is quite interesting that one of Oddpost's nicer features is an integrated RSS reader. Yahoo keeps talking up the power of RSS, and perhaps this will allow them to make a bigger commitment. However, in all likelihood, it was just the mail interface that fascinated them. It seems like a good move by Yahoo who needed to do something.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Declassified Opinion On Bulk Email Collection Details More Abuse By The NSA
- FBI Uses Invitation To Investigate One Email As An Excuse To Dig Through Multiple Email Accounts
- Lavabit To Release Code As Open Source, As It Creates Dark Mail Alliance To Create Even More Secure Email
- How Is Consumer Watchdog 'Helping' When It's Trying To Destroy Services Consumers Find Useful
- Mayor Bloomberg Uses Private Email To Avoid FOI Requests; Has No Plans To Retain Archive Of Office, NYPD Emails