So, here was the trick to making money in the dot com era and ending up running a cool company you like: (1) start a company doing something cool that you liked (2) sell that company for gobs (and gobs) of money to some idiot company with too much stock wealth (3) wait for that big company to fail and (4) buy back your old company for pennies on the dollar - keeping most of the money you made, plus getting the company back. Such a deal seems to have worked wonders for Webshots. In 1999 they sold the company to Excite for $84 million. Today they paid $2.4 million (in cash) to buy it back.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- TSA Collects Nearly $500,000 In Abandoned Change Per Year And Has No Idea What To Do With It
- Lawsuit Claims ICE Officers Shot At, Arrested Wrong Man
- United Airlines Nearly Kills Pet, Aims For Streisand Glory Instead Of Paying Vet Bill
- Obama's Response To Too Much Secrecy About Surveillance... Is More Secrecy
- The USTR's Revolving Door With Copyright And Patent Maximalists Removes All Credibility