Okay, I've read this article a few times now, and I'm still not sure I know what this company is really selling. The company is a startup called IXI Wireless, and they have some sort of "Personal Mobile Gateway" that will let any device connect to various wireless networks. The idea is that the gateway is small enough to fit into a purse or a wallet (so it would have to be very very small) and could connect to a variety of different networks. Then, any device would just have to connect with the gateway to have a wireless connection. So, instead of building wireless capabilities into every device, you just need to make sure it can talk to the gateway. At least, I think that's what's happening. It's an interesting idea, but one that might just add a layer of complexity people aren't willing to accept.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- T-Mobile Bucks Another Crazy Mobile Phone Trend: Dumps International Roaming Charges
- How Ruling On WiFi Snooping Means Security Researchers May Face Criminal Liability
- DailyDirt: Get Your Own Satellite
- Court Says WiFi Isn't Radio Because It's Not Audio; Therefore WiFi Sniffing Can Be Wiretapping
- DailyDirt: Is There A Better Word For Wireless?