yes i agree. I did ask that Mike let me post a version of the talk here. that is the first thing i asked. It would have preempted all this useless an uniformed gnashing.
sorry but mike does equate the facebook comments and the talk in his first paragraph. go back and read it.
If mike doesn't want me to do that here. then i'll put it up next month on my 300songs.com and i'll invite mike over there to debate on my blog.
The sad thing about all of this? If he'd been at the talk i think he and his readers would see that they agree with much of what i said. at least that's my opinion judging by other things i've read on this blog before.
I'm out of here. if you want to tell me i don't know what i'm talking about come over to my blog.
Wow. Mike you didn't even come to the talk and then you rebut me?
what the fuck? i mean if i wanted to fucking sue you i could?
You should change the article title to
"If you're gonna rebut someones talk, you might ought have heard it"
1. whatever you took from Facebook was some ramblings from a few weeks earlier and it was not my argument that i presented at sf music tech. One of the paragraphs did share the title. But otherwise IT HAD LITTLE TO DO WITH WHAT I TALKED ABOUT.
2. The talk I gave was based on a University of Georgia bit of academic research. I teach at University of Georgia when i'm not out touring. I teach music business finance. Unlike TECHDIRT I can't make up things out of my ass and just print them.
3. you didn't even present my actual argument. It's quite narrow comparison of the percentage of gross revenue that flows to the artist under the new digital model vs the old record label model. my tentative conclusion is that less revenue
4. I have shitloads of data. nearly two decades worth. hundreds of artists. all kinds of artists. hobbyists to platinum.
5. I like most of you here expected that although the overall revenue for the recorded music business is down (-64%) I expected artists would be doing better. Disintermediation etc. direct sales to fans. long tail revenue. It turns out the data does not agree. Don't shoot the fucking messenger.
6. How the fuck can you say the argument don't make sense? you didn't even hear it.
7. for those of you who think i somehow don't understand the digital world? I have a degree in mathematics and i've been programming computers since you had to RPG on punch cards. my first job out of college was as a CPM/MPM system operator. Since the early 1990's i've been operating a successful WEB based business. It's called being in a band. Don't fucking tell me I don't understand the fucking digital paradigm. Finally if you still don't think i have digital/web credentials just google "david lowery groupon"
I expect a retraction and an apology. fuckface.
Techdirt has not posted any stories submitted by David C Lowery.