Techdirt Podcast Episode 136: Pokémon Gone?

from the checking-in dept

Just over a year ago, when Pokémon Go was taking the world by storm, we dedicated an episode of the podcast to discussing what made it so successful, and ended up with some differing predictions about what its future would be. Now, with the hype long and truly over but the game still far from dead (though just how far is up for debate), it's time to revisit the subject and figure out who, if anyone, was right about the future of Pokémon Go.

Follow the Techdirt Podcast on Soundcloud, subscribe via iTunes or Google Play, or grab the RSS feed. You can also keep up with all the latest episodes right here on Techdirt.

Reader Comments

View by: Time | Thread

• icon
    Ninja (profile), 29 Aug 2017 @ 1:53pm

Took them too long to introduce some features and the lack of balance for new, non-hardcore users is heavy these days. I do think the game will be around for a long time though as they are evolving. It's just that they could have retained more people if they were faster and listened to their players a bit more.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• icon
    gh (profile), 29 Aug 2017 @ 2:22pm

I have to say that I see a lot of people still playing Pokemon Go. At least once a week I'll find a group of 20 in the local park following the updates a few weeks ago.

My kids still play when they are out and about 19&12. I definitely have colleagues 30+ who play on the way home

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• identicon
    E., 29 Aug 2017 @ 3:53pm

I'm playing it. Just for fun. Not too many people in the area are. Seen some gyms around, but not that many groups of people out in the open though. At least not as many as there were last year.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• identicon
    Anonymous Coward, 29 Aug 2017 @ 6:04pm

I stopped playing it; they killed what made it fun when it launched.

It became clear that the game was less and less what I signed up for when it became public.

Less /hunting for Pokemon/ and drawing users to new and interesting areas.

More 'gym battle type blah' with their crappy battle system and pay to easily win items.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• identicon
    Anonymous Coward, 30 Aug 2017 @ 10:05am

I played it until about a month ago. I moved and there's no stops or local park for me to drive by on my way to work or anywhere close by to walk to. I had mainly just been playing to and from work at my old house to keep slowly leveling. I made it to lev 31. It's now uninstalled.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• identicon
    Anonymous Coward, 30 Aug 2017 @ 12:52pm

That you are not seeing large groups roving around is more a factor of the player community evolving. Players have learned that the rare finds in game are just rare. They know where they need to be for rewarding play(ie areas dense in Pokestops, gyms and cellular activity ). They are also organizing using Discord or Facebook.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]