Free

by Leigh Beadon

Filed Under:
eff, move your domain day, sponsored post

Companies:
namecheap

Tomorrow Is Move Your Domain Day: Support The EFF And Get A Year For Free

from the good-deal-for-a-good-cause dept

Post sponsored by

If you've been a Techdirt reader since the days of SOPA/PIPA, you probably know that Namecheap is a big supporter of a free and open internet, and was one of the first registrars to speak out against the bills. More recently, they've been big supporters of Techdirt directly, providing matching funds to our crowdfunding campaign for net neutrality reporting and sponsoring our sitewide switch to HTTPS. In October, they were one of only two companies that got a perfect score on the EFF's ranking of service providers that stand up to copyright and trademark bullies, and many of us here at Techdirt use them for all our personal domain registration needs.

Now we're happy to team up with Namecheap and promote their latest campaign: Move Your Domain Day, happening tomorrow. It's a continuation of something they started with Reddit users in 2011, which so far has raised nearly $250,000 for the EFF. Here's how it works:

• Starting January 27th, you can transfer your .com, .net, .biz, .org or .info domain to Namecheap for only $3.98 (plus $0.18 ICANN fee where applicable), using coupon code NC15MYDD
  • When you transfer, they'll add another year to your domain free. Any shared hosting package (Value, Professional or Ultimate) will be 50% off when you use coupon code MYDDHOST15
  • For every domain transferred or hosting plan purchased, up to 10,000, Namecheap will donate $0.50 to EFF. The donation amount goes up to $1.00 per domain/hosting plan if they exceed 10,000. And if they exceed 20,000 domains transferred/hosting plans purchased, Namecheap will donate $1.50 for each product purchased.

Visit the website to learn more and help spread the word. Also, stay tuned for a Reddit AMA with Namecheap tomorrow at 8am PST.

Reader Comments

View by: Time | Thread

Charles Roth (profile), 26 Jan 2015 @ 2:40pm

Namecheap

Sincere curiousity -- Namecheap vs Google domains? I'm slowly moving domains off GoDaddy.

lucidrenegade (profile), 26 Jan 2015 @ 2:40pm

Moved all my domains to Namecheap after the GoDaddy SOPA mess.

Dan (profile), 26 Jan 2015 @ 2:47pm

It's unfortunate that EFF didn't look at other (very many) registrars/hosting providers, and particularly easydns.com--with some of their coverage here recently, I'd expect they'd score well also.

Philip (profile), 26 Jan 2015 @ 3:09pm

Tempting

I'm tempted, but I need email forwarding. I was about to move my domain to Google Domain so I can kill my mail server. It doesn't appear Namecheap offers email forwarding. :(

Leigh Beadon (profile), 26 Jan 2015 @ 3:16pm

Re: Tempting

It does! Or at least I've got it set up on one of mine.

gigglehurtz (profile), 26 Jan 2015 @ 3:49pm

Re: Re: Tempting

I've got forwarding set up for one of my email addresses with Namecheap as well. I only check that account every couple of weeks, so I forward it's email to the address I use daily.

And I just checked, yes you can definitely set it up to forward to any address.

Philip (profile), 26 Jan 2015 @ 3:57pm

Re: Re: Tempting

Oh? Well then. Let me look at this even more. I just xfered one of my domains here last week to Google Domains, because of email forwarding (to my gmail account).

• identicon
    Dan, 26 Jan 2015 @ 3:35pm

Drat! I already transferred all of my domains from GoDaddy to Namecheap three years ago! I should have waited for this promo!

cypherspace (profile), 26 Jan 2015 @ 4:04pm

All these comments and no accusations of Namecheap shilling? Must be a holiday

• identicon
    Anonymous Coward, 26 Jan 2015 @ 4:43pm

"When you transfer, they'll add another year to your domain free" - like every single registrar out there.

ysth (profile), 26 Jan 2015 @ 6:32pm

I would have gone with Namecheap, but...

I read this and looked elsewhere.

Still, kudos to them for supporting the EFF and Techdirt.

• identicon
    Michael H. Warfield, 26 Jan 2015 @ 6:42pm

NO DNSsec. :-P

Just chatted with their support people.

Sorry, no. Just NO. All of my domains are DNSsec registered and most have DANE record for certificates. I dumped both Network Solutions and DreamHost and moved to GoDaddy and Ghandi for numerous domains specifically for this. No DNSsec registration is an absolute show stopper, no go, no way, no how. I'm not going backwards.

John Fenderson (profile), 27 Jan 2015 @ 9:19am

Re: NO DNSsec. :-P

That's too bad about the lack of DNSSEC. But is that actually enough reason to use GoDaddy? I literally cannot think of a single thing that can overcome the sheer nastiness of that company.

• identicon
    Annonimus, 26 Jan 2015 @ 8:18pm

Why can't we have more ads like this?

No seriously anybody got an answer to this question.

Violynne (profile), 27 Jan 2015 @ 3:46am

Tempting offer, but I'll pass. I've been using Winhost for 5+ years now, and luckily, they've pretty much remained top-notch. I'd hate to leave them when they've done so well.

I'm also iffy about moving. Nothing against Namecheap, but aside from chatter on Techdirt, I've never heard of them.

Considering my history with hosting services, I've got to lean on others in my industry and not an ad campaign.

Otherwise, I'd be with GoDaddy, and anyone with that service knows how bad it is because they spend more on advertising than they do on their equipment.

Danica Patrick wasn't cheap.

NoahVail (profile), 27 Jan 2015 @ 4:21am

Namecheap - terrific registrar

I've shilled for Namecheap before here and with good reason.
    They're as good as registrar can be and an example of how to succeed through excellent customer service.

I wouldn't go anywhere else.

John Fenderson (profile), 27 Jan 2015 @ 9:18am

Moving to NameCheap

My domains come up for renewal in a few months, and I've been considering moving them to a different registrar anyway. I believe I have decided which registrar to move to.

LVDave (profile), 27 Jan 2015 @ 9:27am

Their login site musta been hammered, it took me a half-hour of trying to create an account.. Once I did, however, it was a piece of cake to transfer a couple of domains, both from StopDaddy.. I'd been planning on moving them elsewhere, and this was just toooo good a deal (for me AND the EFF) to turn down... Two birds.. One stone..

• identicon
    It Solve, 22 Jun 2016 @ 11:07pm

review

This is an amazing article for Namecheap.

• identicon
    It Solve, 22 Jun 2016 @ 11:10pm

review

This is an amazing article for Namecheap.you will see another information