by Mike Masnick
Thu, Mar 22nd 2012 12:14am
We've noted in the past the similarities between mass IP infringement trolling lawsuits and shakedown scams -- and have even seen some out-and-out scammers mimic the techniques of copyright trolls. Torrentfreak now reports that some scammers are specifically targeting Megaupload users, pretending to be lawyers demanding payment for infringements on Megaupload. While these are pure scams, given the MPAA's own statements about possibly suing Megaupload users, combined with the success rate that copyright trolls often have in getting some people to just pay up, it seems likely that a fair number of recipients of such a scam letter are actually falling for it.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Bill Introduced To Fix Broken DMCA Anti-Circumvention Rules
- How The DMCA And Anti-Piracy Measures Conspire To Keep Video Games In Their Cultural Place
- Guy Who Took Walter Scott Shooting Video Now Demanding To Be Paid; Everyone Gets Confused About Fair Use
- How The US Government Legally Stole Millions From Kim Dotcom
- US Court Rules That Kim Dotcom Is A 'Fugitive' And Thus DOJ Can Take His Money