by Mike Masnick
Thu, Mar 22nd 2012 12:14am
We've noted in the past the similarities between mass IP infringement trolling lawsuits and shakedown scams -- and have even seen some out-and-out scammers mimic the techniques of copyright trolls. Torrentfreak now reports that some scammers are specifically targeting Megaupload users, pretending to be lawyers demanding payment for infringements on Megaupload. While these are pure scams, given the MPAA's own statements about possibly suing Megaupload users, combined with the success rate that copyright trolls often have in getting some people to just pay up, it seems likely that a fair number of recipients of such a scam letter are actually falling for it.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- EU Advocate General Declares That Hotels Don't Need To Pay Copyright License To Have In-Room Television
- Hollywood Accounting Back In Court: How Has Spinal Tap Only Earned $81 In Merchandise Sales For Its Creators?
- Off We Go: Oracle Officially Appeals Google's Fair Use Win
- The FBI's Megaupload Domains Are Now Hosting Porn Ads
- Appeals Court Says It's Perfectly Fine For The DOJ To Steal Kim Dotcom's Money Before Any Trial