by Mike Masnick
Thu, Mar 22nd 2012 12:14am
We've noted in the past the similarities between mass IP infringement trolling lawsuits and shakedown scams -- and have even seen some out-and-out scammers mimic the techniques of copyright trolls. Torrentfreak now reports that some scammers are specifically targeting Megaupload users, pretending to be lawyers demanding payment for infringements on Megaupload. While these are pure scams, given the MPAA's own statements about possibly suing Megaupload users, combined with the success rate that copyright trolls often have in getting some people to just pay up, it seems likely that a fair number of recipients of such a scam letter are actually falling for it.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- As CBS/Paramount Continue Lawsuit Over Fan Film, It Releases Ridiculous & Impossible 'Fan Film Guidelines'
- Good News: California Legislature Dumps Stupid Plan To Copyright All Government Works
- Led Zeppelin Wins Copyright Case Over Stairway To Heaven
- Judge's Opinion On Kim Dotcom Shows An Unfortunate Willingness To Ignore Context
- New Zealand Says Kim Dotcom Eligible For Extradition; Dotcom To Appeal