by Mike Masnick
Thu, Jan 5th 2012 1:15pm
We recently wrote about how it was unlikely that President Obama would veto SOPA/PIPA if they reached his desk, because he probably feels he "needs" the support from Hollywood. As if to underscore that point, apparently he's worried that he's pissed off folks in Hollywood -- who feel that he "has given their causes short shrift since moving into the White House." In order to fix that, according to the Hollywood Reporter, Obama has sent his former top Hollywood fundraiser, Nicole Avant, back to Hollywood to help patch things up there. Apparently, as a thank you for helping raise money in 2008, she'd been given the assignment as the US Ambassador to the Bahamas. But she's left that job to go back to fundraising in Hollywood. One has to imagine that a key "cause" that Hollywood will want assurances on is... SOPA/PIPA. Already, Avant is apparently beginning the fundraising process as part of an attempt to "rekindle at least some of Hollywood enthusiasm for Obama." Of course, Obama is also seeking support from the tech industry, who's almost universally opposed to the bill. Could make for some interesting discussions on his frequent swings through California...
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Obama Promises 'Proportional' Response To Russian Hacking, Ignores That We Started The Fight
- Can Someone Explain To The RIAA That SOPA Didn't Actually Pass?
- New California Law Attempts To Fight Hollywood Ageism By Censoring Third-Party Websites
- Hollywood Keeps Insisting Tech Is Easy, Yet Can't Secure Its Own Screeners
- The Copyright Office Acts As Hollywood's Lobbying Arm... Because That's Basically How It's Been Designed