by Mike Masnick
Thu, Jan 5th 2012 1:15pm
We recently wrote about how it was unlikely that President Obama would veto SOPA/PIPA if they reached his desk, because he probably feels he "needs" the support from Hollywood. As if to underscore that point, apparently he's worried that he's pissed off folks in Hollywood -- who feel that he "has given their causes short shrift since moving into the White House." In order to fix that, according to the Hollywood Reporter, Obama has sent his former top Hollywood fundraiser, Nicole Avant, back to Hollywood to help patch things up there. Apparently, as a thank you for helping raise money in 2008, she'd been given the assignment as the US Ambassador to the Bahamas. But she's left that job to go back to fundraising in Hollywood. One has to imagine that a key "cause" that Hollywood will want assurances on is... SOPA/PIPA. Already, Avant is apparently beginning the fundraising process as part of an attempt to "rekindle at least some of Hollywood enthusiasm for Obama." Of course, Obama is also seeking support from the tech industry, who's almost universally opposed to the bill. Could make for some interesting discussions on his frequent swings through California...
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- 'Most Transparent' President Signs Into Law FOIA Reform Bill That Won't Affect His Administration
- Hillary Clinton's Intellectual Property Platform: Too Vague & Confusing
- MPAA Boss: Actually Being Good To Consumers Would Be Horrible For Hollywood
- MPAA Happily Gets Into Bed With Russian State Censor Agency... To Protect Copyright!
- RIAA Demands Takedown Of ThePirateBay.org, But EasyDNS Refuses Over Lack Of Due Process