by Mike Masnick
Tue, Oct 25th 2011 9:08am
Despite challenges concerning the legality of ICE seizing domain names prior to any sort of adversarial hearing, it appears that ICE has no intention to slow down. The group quietly seized 20 more domain names over the weekend, and it looks like most involved sites selling unauthorized NFL jerseys. ICE has been a bit slower about going after copyright related domain names, focusing more on trademark domain names recently, but it's still questionable as to whether or not the group really has the right to censor domain names without an adversarial hearing. Of course, ICE is relying on the fact that no one behind these sites is likely to speak up, which is why it gets away with its out-and-out censorship. In the meantime, you would think that ICE would have more important things to do than be the personal private police force of various entertainment industry entities.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Photographer Successfully DMCAs Trump Jr.'s Skittles Image
- Nigerian Government Officials Abusing Cybercrime Law To Silence Critical Journalists
- Hillary Clinton To Silicon Valley: To Silence Terrorists, Nerd Harder, Nerds!
- NFL Cuts Out Shout-Out To St. Louis In HoF Speech YouTube Upload, Streisand Effect Takes Over
- DailyDirt: Jocks Versus Nerds