by Mike Masnick
Tue, Oct 25th 2011 9:08am
Despite challenges concerning the legality of ICE seizing domain names prior to any sort of adversarial hearing, it appears that ICE has no intention to slow down. The group quietly seized 20 more domain names over the weekend, and it looks like most involved sites selling unauthorized NFL jerseys. ICE has been a bit slower about going after copyright related domain names, focusing more on trademark domain names recently, but it's still questionable as to whether or not the group really has the right to censor domain names without an adversarial hearing. Of course, ICE is relying on the fact that no one behind these sites is likely to speak up, which is why it gets away with its out-and-out censorship. In the meantime, you would think that ICE would have more important things to do than be the personal private police force of various entertainment industry entities.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Viacom Issues Bogus DMCA Over Fair Use Daily Show Remix... After Promising Not To Do That Any More
- Total Wipes Blames Trying To Take Down Every Page With The Word 'Download' On 'A Bug'
- Deposed Revenge Porn Jester Craig Brittain Tries To DMCA Censor Popehat, Adam Steinbaugh... And The FTC
- The Trademark Lawyers For The Seattle Seahawks Have Apparently Lost Their Minds
- Some Jerks (Probably The NFL) Got A Hilarious Romance Novel Parody Removed From Amazon Over IP