If Your Estranged Wife Doesn't 'Like' Your Facebook Status, That's Not A Reason To Attack Her

from the dislike dept

We've noted that there are different types of social cues in this era of social networking. For example, how should you respond to seeing that it's someone's birthday on Facebook? There are also all sorts of questions about when you should change your "relationship status," and what that means. And then there's the "to like or not to like" question in responding to the status updates of others. But, no matter what the questions are around the proper etiquette, I think we can all agree that attacking your estranged wife for not "liking" your status update about your dead mother is entirely inappropriate (story found via Kashmir Hill).
Police said Apolinar, 36, posted an update on his Facebook page about the anniversary of his mother's death and became angry after his wife, who he only recently separated from, did not click the "like" button to show she appreciated his comment.

Apolinar was allegedly drunk when he confronted his wife of 15 years at her home while dropping off his children on Tuesday night.

"That's amazing everyone 'likes' my status but you, you're my wife. You should be the first one to 'like' my status," he allegedly told her.
One wonders if she'll "like" his status update concerning his arrest and upcoming court appearance.

Rikuo (profile), Oct 13th, 2011 @ 7:26am

Mike, I actually don't want to sound like all those who attack you over the fact that some of your stories aren't about tech or law or whatnot...
    But in this case, I have to agree with them, at least somewhat. It's a standard case of domestic violence (although I doubt domestic is the correct term, seeing as how the man and woman were separated...). The article says he was drunk. What he said about Facebook was just an excuse, nothing more.

AJ, Oct 13th, 2011 @ 7:38am

Geek Online Rule #1 = If your going to get trashed, unplug yourself from the net.

I imagine nothing would start a morning panic faster than waking up, still drunk, naked, with a web cam laying on your chest. !!!

Anonymous Coward, Oct 13th, 2011 @ 7:42am

When life imitates art, that is plagiarism, he stole the idea from South Park.
    3D South Park (Blender 2.5)

Anonymous Coward, Oct 13th, 2011 @ 7:58am

And yet pot is illegal.

justok (profile), Oct 13th, 2011 @ 8:01am

for me, it usually depends on which way the camera was pointing.

Butcherer79 (profile), Oct 13th, 2011 @ 8:04am

My ex wife wasn't estranged, just strange... well, before the 'accident' anyway...

justok (profile), Oct 13th, 2011 @ 8:07am

And

and what about us that won't "Like"(c)(tm) this story?

Also, this would have been geek news if it had been about her not +1-ing his post.

Butcherer79 (profile), Oct 13th, 2011 @ 8:07am

When I actually don't want to sound like someone I don't like, or do something I'll regret, generally I won't.
    It's a lot easier to not do something than to do it - Remarkably, you've managed both with that first sentance.

Anonymous Coward, Oct 13th, 2011 @ 8:07am

Eh, slow day at work, the blog needs content.

Anonymous Coward, Oct 13th, 2011 @ 8:40am

Where do I click to "like" the wife?

Anonymous Coward, Oct 13th, 2011 @ 9:05am

Where I clicked to "like" your mother

Anonymous Coward, Oct 13th, 2011 @ 9:35am

Necrophiliacs on TD? Nice. Also with 2 year old mentality. Nice.

Brian B. (profile), Oct 13th, 2011 @ 10:05am

Drunk while dropping off the children?

Isn't the bigger story that this man was drunk while dropping off his children? Probably even drove there...

Atkray (profile), Oct 13th, 2011 @ 10:31am

The traffic pylon and policeman's helmet are the hard ones to figure out.

Jeffrey Nonken (profile), Oct 13th, 2011 @ 2:49pm

As an estranged husband with two kids, aging parents, and connected with my wife via both FB and G+ (oh, and LiveJournal), I think I'm in a position to say that calling this guy an asshole is an insult to assholes.

There are SO many things wrong with his actions that I don't know where to begin.

The Devil's Coachman (profile), Oct 13th, 2011 @ 5:17pm

Got your "dander" up, didn't it? Pretty much its intent. Hook. Line. Sinker.

VMax, Oct 13th, 2011 @ 6:23pm

Breathalyzer in keyboard?

Might do a lot of us good. Just constantly sampling until it starts cutting off different web sites and email addresses.