DailyDirt: Everyone Has Blindspots

from the urls-we-dig-up dept

A few years ago, there were some video demonstrations about perception and how when you're focused on looking for one thing, you can completely miss seeing obvious other things (like a gorilla or other monkey business). People tend to rely on vision a lot (unless you're Daredevil), but it's not always the most reliable sense. After you've finished checking out those links, take a look at our Daily Deals for cool gadgets and other awesome stuff.
Hide this

Thank you for reading this Techdirt post. With so many things competing for everyone’s attention these days, we really appreciate you giving us your time. We work hard every day to put quality content out there for our community.

Techdirt is one of the few remaining truly independent media outlets. We do not have a giant corporation behind us, and we rely heavily on our community to support us, in an age when advertisers are increasingly uninterested in sponsoring small, independent sites — especially a site like ours that is unwilling to pull punches in its reporting and analysis.

While other websites have resorted to paywalls, registration requirements, and increasingly annoying/intrusive advertising, we have always kept Techdirt open and available to anyone. But in order to continue doing so, we need your support. We offer a variety of ways for our readers to support us, from direct donations to special subscriptions and cool merchandise — and every little bit helps. Thank you.

–The Techdirt Team

Filed Under: blind, blindsight, eyesight, face blindness, molyneux's problem, prosopagnosia, senses, transcranial magnetic stimulation, vision

Reader Comments

View by: Time | Thread

• identicon
    Lawrence D’Oliveiro, 13 Apr 2016 @ 5:39pm

Can A Blind Artist Draw Using Perspective?

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• identicon
    Dvorjk, 13 Apr 2016 @ 7:38pm

For further reading...

If you want to learn more about this kind of thing, I cannot recommend Oliver Sacks 'The Mind's Eye' highly enough.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• icon
    TRX (profile), 14 Apr 2016 @ 6:19am

I'm not face-blind, but I'm horrible enough at recognizing faces to understand it. More than once I've been through the "You remember who I am, do you?" routine. "Nope, I have no clue." It seems to distress other people a lot more than me...

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• icon
      Mason Wheeler (profile), 14 Apr 2016 @ 7:06am

I'm kind of the opposite. I'm great with faces, but terrible with names. There are far too many people among my coworkers, people I interact with every day and know on sight, who I identify mentally as nothing more than "this one", "that guy", "him", or "her".

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• icon
        JoeCool (profile), 14 Apr 2016 @ 10:46am

Yeah, I'm the same - I never forget a face, but rarely remember a name. Part of that is because my family moved a lot when I was a kid. Names became unimportant as I'd (probably) never see them again.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• identicon
    Anonymous Coward, 14 Apr 2016 @ 8:57am

I'm pretty sure morphic fields are the key to overcoming my prosopagnosia. I've set up an experiment - a sort of game, if you will - to test my hypothesis, and it only took 18 orphans to pull off.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]