DailyDirt: Everyone Has Blindspots

from the urls-we-dig-up dept

A few years ago, there were some video demonstrations about perception and how when you're focused on looking for one thing, you can completely miss seeing obvious other things (like a gorilla or other monkey business). People tend to rely on vision a lot (unless you're Daredevil), but it's not always the most reliable sense. After you've finished checking out those links, take a look at our Daily Deals for cool gadgets and other awesome stuff.

Reader Comments

View by: Time | Thread

• identicon
    Lawrence D’Oliveiro, 13 Apr 2016 @ 5:39pm

Can A Blind Artist Draw Using Perspective?

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• identicon
    Dvorjk, 13 Apr 2016 @ 7:38pm

For further reading...

If you want to learn more about this kind of thing, I cannot recommend Oliver Sacks 'The Mind's Eye' highly enough.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• icon
    TRX (profile), 14 Apr 2016 @ 6:19am

I'm not face-blind, but I'm horrible enough at recognizing faces to understand it. More than once I've been through the "You remember who I am, do you?" routine. "Nope, I have no clue." It seems to distress other people a lot more than me...

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• icon
      Mason Wheeler (profile), 14 Apr 2016 @ 7:06am

I'm kind of the opposite. I'm great with faces, but terrible with names. There are far too many people among my coworkers, people I interact with every day and know on sight, who I identify mentally as nothing more than "this one", "that guy", "him", or "her".

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• icon
        JoeCool (profile), 14 Apr 2016 @ 10:46am

Yeah, I'm the same - I never forget a face, but rarely remember a name. Part of that is because my family moved a lot when I was a kid. Names became unimportant as I'd (probably) never see them again.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]

• identicon
    Anonymous Coward, 14 Apr 2016 @ 8:57am

I'm pretty sure morphic fields are the key to overcoming my prosopagnosia. I've set up an experiment - a sort of game, if you will - to test my hypothesis, and it only took 18 orphans to pull off.

reply to this | link to this | view in chronology ]