by Mike Masnick
Tue, Jul 14th 2009 7:39am
A bunch of folks have been sending in various versions of this story -- and I have to admit, it sounds so ridiculous that it reads like an urban legend. I was hesitant to even write about it at first, but with so many mainstream media sources covering it, perhaps it really did happen. Basically, a girl who claims she was so focused on text messaging while working fell into an open manhole in Staten Island. Now, that should be embarrassing enough, but the really crazy part is the claim that the girl's parents are planning to sue the city for not adequately protecting their daughter from herself. At least they're not suing the mobile carrier or mobile device maker as well...
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Moral Panics: Don't Blame Facebook Because Some Guy Posted His Murder Video There
- Rep. Marsha Blackburn Says Internet Service Providers Have 'An Obligation' To Censor 'Fake News'
- Canadian Police Use Cell Tower Dumps To Text 7,500 Possible Murder Witnesses
- Johnny Manziel's Lawyer Accidentally Texts The AP And Then Threatens To Sue Them If They Report On It
- Oblivious Man Staring At iPad Causes Security Meltdown Conga Line