by Mike Masnick
Wed, Jun 3rd 2009 4:45am
Back in November, when Craigslist first caved in to misguided complaints from various state AGs, we pointed out that this wouldn't do anything to stop prostitution -- it would just make it go elsewhere. And, indeed, that's exactly what happened. But, of course, that wasn't enough for the AGs who started grandstanding again a couple months ago, leading Craigslist to cave in again. So... what do you think is happening? Well, reader mikez points to a report noting a sudden and unexpected spike in adult classified ads in alternative weekly papers who had seen their business hit hard as such ads transferred to Craigslist. And, of course, as Craigslist had already pointed out, many of the ads showing up in those alt papers were already much more explicit than anything on Craigslist. In the meantime... with all these regular newspapers looking for additional business models, maybe they should start accepting those types of ads...
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Baidu Pushes Back On Chinese Gov't Investigation By Freeing Up Images Related To Tiananmen Square
- Forbes Is Confused: You Can View Content Using An Adblocker By Promising Not To Use An Adblocker
- Game Critic Keeps YouTube Vids Ad-Free By Creating ContentID Feeding Frenzy
- The Unbelievably True Story Of How Craigslist Murdered Over 100 People
- Appeals Court Issues Fantastic 1st Amendment Ruling Against Censorious Sheriff Thomas Dart In His Crusade Against The Internet