by Mike Masnick
Tue, Dec 9th 2008 5:38pm
internet watch foundation
After being subject to widespread ridicule for forcing Wikipedia in the UK to block a page for an album cover graphic from 32 years ago, the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF) has withdrawn its block on the page and said it's fine. Apparently "given the age and availability of the image," the group no longer thinks it's appropriate to be on the list. Of course, the age and availability of the image was true before. Though, if anything, this attempt at blocking the image only made the image more available.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Court Dismisses Wikimedia's Lawsuit Over NSA Surveillance
- Turkish Ministry Recommends Banning Super-Violent Minecraft
- New York City Backs Off School Cell Phone Ban, Though Some Officials Still See Cellular Tech As The Worst Sort Of Foul Devilry
- Child Porn Blacklist Group Claims Its Approach Is Working, But There Are Lots Of Questions
- Inside The UK's Web Blacklist Keeper