by Mike Masnick
Fri, Nov 21st 2008 4:56am
There's a somewhat popular (and quite amusing) blog called Hot Chicks with Douchebags. It is... well, pretty much what you'd expect (and might not be a link you want to click-through while at work) -- a bunch of photos of attractive women in the company of guys who, well, you can figure it out. Anyway, I had no idea that they had come out with a book recently, but apparently some of the folks included in the book are none too happy about it. Three of the alleged "hot chicks" in the book have sued the book's author and publisher, and now one of the alleged "douchebags" has also sued, claiming libel. Of course, once again, it seems like this is the sort of thing where suing only puts a lot more attention on the fact that some folks consider the guy to be a douchebag in the first place. Besides, considering that douchebag, in this context, is pretty clearly a statement of opinion rather than fact (no one actually thinks he's literally a bag for douches), it's difficult to see where the libel is. In fact, I'd say that suing over being included in a book like this seems, well... ah, well, you can figure it out.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- More Shady Libel Lawsuits Resulting In Dubious Delisting Court Orders Uncovered
- Mormon Church Tries To Censor MormonLeaks Using Copyright, Streisand Effect Takes Over
- Bad Libel Law Strikes Again: Silly UK Twitter Spat Results In Six Figure Payout
- Another Free Speech Win In Libel Lawsuit Disguised As A Trademark Complaint
- GOP Senate Streisands Elizabeth Warren And Coretta King In Attempt To Silence Her