by Mike Masnick
Tue, Nov 11th 2008 2:11am
The blogger who uploaded the latest Guns N' Roses album, Chinese Democracy, and who was then arrested has apparently agreed to a plea bargain in the case. Prosecutors had already dropped the charges from a felony to a misdemeanor, and the plea deal probably means he'll get off without too much punishment -- but the whole thing still seems fairly ridiculous. It's not at all clear why the FBI wasted taxpayer money chasing down a fan who simply helped promote the music. In the end, it seems like GNR basically got tax-payer funded promotion for its latest album, while causing significant stress in the life of the guy who was in the middle of all of this. What a joke.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Awesome Stuff: Generating Sound
- Two Separate Copyright Rulings Around The Globe May Finally Clear The Copyright Way For Sampling
- Copyright As Censorship: Questionable Copyright Claim Forces Indie Musician To Destroy All Physical Copies Of New Album
- You're Entitled To Your Own Opinions, But Not Your Own Facts About Copyright, NY Times Edition
- Awesome Stuff: Make More Music