by Mike Masnick
Mon, Aug 4th 2008 1:44pm
What is it with people wanting to blame technology for crimes rather than the idiots who perpetrate the crimes? The latest is that Thailand has banned the sale of Grand Theft Auto IV after an idiot kid killed a cab driver when he tried to carjack the taxicab. The kid claimed that he was copying a scene from the game, and wanted to see if it was as easy to do as in the game. In other words: "Not my fault! The game made me do it!" And, of course, the government believed this killer, rather than recognizing that it wasn't the game, but this kid's own demented brain that was responsible. If it wasn't GTA IV, it would have been something else. Banning GTA IV isn't going to stop such violence, but it will give anyone caught for murder a nice excuse about why it's not their fault.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Lindsay Lohan Won't Put Her GTA5 Lawsuit Out Of Its Misery
- Amazon Refuses To Comply With Police Request For Amazon Echo Recordings In Murder Case
- Hillary Clinton Looks At Her Campaign's Many Missteps, Decides To Blame James Comey For Her Loss
- In The Rush To Blame Facebook, Come The Calls To Suppress Ideas People Disagree With
- Thai Government Demands Popular Chat App Reveal Any Time Any User Insults The King