by Mike Masnick
Fri, May 9th 2008 9:13am
If you've got a spare 40 minutes to an hour, it's worth watching patent attorney Stephan Kinsella's presentation: Rethinking Intellectual Property Completely, as given in March. The video is embedded below, and it fits in nicely with my ongoing (yes, there's still plenty more) series of posts on intellectual property. It's pretty rare to see a patent attorney explain so lucidly the problems with patents (and copyrights):
He does a very nice job ripping apart the "property rights" arguments that some, especially some libertarians, use in favor of patents, explaining why that doesn't make sense. It's an excellent presentation, and well worth watching.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Patent Reform Bill A Good Step, But Still Falls Way Short Of Fixing A Broken System
- USTR Releases Its Annual Special 301 'Naughty' List Of Countries; EFF Responds With 'Special 404' List
- Fair Use At Risk When Private Companies Get To Make The Decision For Us
- Why Does The US Patent Office Keep Approving Clearly Ridiculous Patents?
- Music Licensing Groups Argue That An Homeowners Association Playing Music At The Pool Is A Public Performance