This story is a nice segway from the one below where we discussed migration options for customers on Cingular's mobitex networks. Many Mobitex customers could upgrade their old Mobitex radios to new cellular data technologies that take advantage of modern sophistiated radio science to acheive better performance. An example of a new mobile data option is the Kyocera 200 module for 1xRTT CDMA networks. Such modules can be integrated into other devices like vending machines, trucks, shipping containers, computing devices, meters, sensors, etc. The module will connect these remote and sometimes mobile devices to the 1X WAN that is blanketing the USA, and provide connectivity for human users, or as machine to machine. Similar modules exist for GPRS, and are expected for EDGE and EV-DO. The existing national networks of the big carriers offer a large footprint that the Mobitex network could never offer.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- T-Mobile Bucks Another Crazy Mobile Phone Trend: Dumps International Roaming Charges
- How Ruling On WiFi Snooping Means Security Researchers May Face Criminal Liability
- DailyDirt: Get Your Own Satellite
- Court Says WiFi Isn't Radio Because It's Not Audio; Therefore WiFi Sniffing Can Be Wiretapping
- DailyDirt: Is There A Better Word For Wireless?