yankinwaoz’s Techdirt Profile

yankinwaoz

About yankinwaoz

yankinwaoz’s Comments comment rss

• Dec 8th, 2017 @ 10:36am

Re: Local Antenna TV

I've wondered the same myself.

A TV network has to pay to broadcast OTA. They have to pay a license for the spectrum. They have to pay for the transmitting hardware, land, and operations staff. And they have to pay for the power needed to operate the transmitter.

They have no idea who is consuming their OTA signal. Instead they have to pay companies like Neilsen Ratings to find out.

On the other hand, they get paid by cable TV operators to get their content. The cable TV company pays for the transmission infrastructure. And digital cable knows exactly what is being watched and by what subscribers.

If 85% of their market was getting their produce via cable, then why were they even bothering to pay to deliver it via OTA?

• Dec 4th, 2017 @ 9:21am

(untitled comment)

Can a minor be held to the terms of a EULA? Isn't that a contract? And a minor can't sign a contract.

• Dec 4th, 2017 @ 9:19am

No seeded data to test with

So they don't have test data seeded into their production database that they can use for training? Why can't they have a Mickey Mouse account?

• Sep 18th, 2017 @ 2:47pm

Totally legal man

This was stupid of Motel 6 to allow. But I fail to see that Motel 6 did anything illegal.

It is well known and established the companies in the US can do anything they want with the information they collect on you. There are some constraints, such as HIPAA. But if a company can make buck off of selling your details, then their isn't very much that will prevent it.

I read the ICE was paying Motel 6, or at least these branches for the information. They didn't pay much.

I first thought that this was rouge employees selling customer details out the back door to ICE for money. It doesn't appear to be that at all. It sounds like the branch owner or managers approved.

If Motel 6 corporate contractually prohibited the selling of customer details by its franchises, then the owner of the franchise risks loosing their franchise, being fined, or somehow punished. This is between Motel 6 and the franchisee.

If Motel 6 didn't prohibit this, then there is nothing contractually wrong.

It doesn't sound like ICE demanded this information under the threat of law. And as noted, they could not compel the motel to surrender this information without a warrant. So ICE was smart and just asked them with a small bounty per arrest being paid in consideration.

I don't think that Motel 6 is special in this regard. Common sense says that this policy would apply to any and all hotels that ICE might want to target. And I'm sure their success with cooperation varies. Cheap hotels take the money. Expensive hotels probably don't think it is worth the downside.

• Aug 17th, 2017 @ 8:53am

The Ocho

"...All the good stuff — big-time college football, professional basketball, the Monday night National Football League game — will remain exclusively on ESPN’s cable channels. The streaming service will get, well, other things..."

They might as well call their new ESPN streaming service "The Ocho".

• May 17th, 2017 @ 8:06am

The awards are a side show

Isn't the Cannes Film Festival actually a trade show? Similar to Sundance? The core purpose is for producers to sell their films to distributors? The awards ceremony is just a side show. The whole thing is a match-making meeting.

When Netflix is its own producer and distributor, then it doesn't need Cannes. The only thing it needs from Cannes is find new content to buy.

In other words, Netflix isn't at Cannes to SELL their films. So it does make sense that only films being sold should be screened for the awards ceremony.

• May 2nd, 2017 @ 8:30am

Not the only one?

Wadda want to bet the NO Parish DA's office isn't the only DA's office doing this? DA's talk to each other. They relocate. They have conventions.

• Mar 15th, 2017 @ 6:17pm

Old School!

I know this is old school. But I recently added DVD service to my Netflix. I don't have cable. Just OTA + Netflix.

Adding the 1 DVD plan added $10 to my price. So now I'm paying about $20 a month to Netflix. My internet is about $70. So $90 total out of pocket for all our TV/Movie supply.

This gives me access to HBO's content, but on DVD, for $5 less a month. Plus I get ALL the DVD content from all of the other studios too. I get to see the Showtime series. The cable network's series. Overseas series. Good movies. No shortage what at all.

True, I don't get the latest episode. But there are so many good shows that I haven't seen yet that there is no shortage of excellent, ad free, TV series that I can watch.

Another benefit of this is that I can't extreme binge. It forces a media consumption diet. I can't blow off going to the gym to watch one more episode because I have to wait for it to show up.

• Mar 10th, 2017 @ 10:23am

Bottomless Pit of need

Smart. They finally realized that the MPAA and RIAA are both bottomless pits of need that will never be satisfied.

The right solution when dealing with BPON is to stop trying to satisfy it.

• Feb 21st, 2017 @ 3:24pm

Protecting the cash cows!

There are heaps of examples of companies that drove themselves in to the dirt because they had to protect their cash cow at all costs.

For example: Kodak - Protecting its profitable film business, refused to switch to digital.

BlackBerry - Refused to invest in smart phones. Stuck with their profitable BB Service.

Digital Equipment Corp - "No one needs a computer in their home...". Nuff said.

• Jan 31st, 2017 @ 10:09am

Can the Bar Assoc get involved?

Can a lawyer send out legal threats that they know are illegal? Shouldn't that be reported to the Texas Bar Assoc?

• Jan 26th, 2017 @ 1:23pm

Just like your company's HR department is there to protect the company, not you. The Bar is there to protect lawyers from the public, not the public from lawyers. After all, it is lawyers who are paying the dues.

I have zero faith that a bar association will do anything to sanction a lawyer as long as he pays his dues.

• Dec 22nd, 2016 @ 8:28am

Low Blood Sugar

The co-owner who did the blacklisting and threats blames it on low blood sugar. Seriously.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/ham-radio-deluxe-support-hacked-my-computer.54796 2/page-38#post-4073533

• Nov 18th, 2016 @ 11:21am

The State Bar

Yea....
    Remember folks. Your state's Bar Association is just like your company's HR department. The HR department is there to protect the company, not you. The State Bar is there to protect lawyers and their industry, not you the public.

• Nov 16th, 2016 @ 8:20am

Re: Lottery 2.0

Same thing on the Nevada/Cal border on I-15. There is a shopping mall with a large parking lot on the border. On the Cal side of the border, there is nothing but one small store that sells Lotto tickets. During the big lotto draws you see a nice long line of Las Vegas residents winding through the parking lot waiting to buy a Cal lotto tix.

(FYI: Nevada does not have lottery).

• Nov 8th, 2016 @ 9:17am

(untitled comment)

The current ticket purchasing system is not benefiting either the artist/performer or the audience. The middle men, either it be Ticketmaster, or scalpers, are the ones making the money.

The answer would appear to be to get rid of the middleman. But that is not correct. There is nothing wrong with an artist selling their tickets to middleman as long as the middle man assumes the market risk. In the current setup, I'm not sure that the middlemen (Ticketmaster) even does that. I suspect that they stick the artist with the cost of unsold seats.

An analogy would be agriculture future options. A farmer knows he need $100K to grown a crop of soybeans. So he sells an option for those beans for $150k which guarantees that he will not lose money. The option buyer is betting that he can sell the beans for more than he paid. But if he loses that bet, it is the option buyer, not the farmer, that takes the loss.

That is the proper use of these middle men in the ticket industry. And the scalpers do this far better than the official ticket brokers.

An artists doesn't need to sell their risk. Very successful artists should be able to auction their tickets and keep the money themselves. In other words, they could bet on themselves.

Artists are being swindled by believing that they are buying "goodwill" with their fans by agreeing to sell seats at fraction of their market value. The reality is that these cheap seats always get taken by middleman and resold at a huge mark up.

Bottom line. This industry is as corrupt as it can be, and now they want the government to condone and protect their scam.

• Nov 8th, 2016 @ 8:38am

(untitled comment)

"...Trademark law exists not just to protect the rights of those who create, but to preserve the legacy and value of their art..."

Wait... isn't that Copyright law?

• Oct 4th, 2016 @ 4:37pm

Wow... you think he would know better

I couldn't help but wonder if this was a lawyer. Or some shady outfit hired to enforce trademarks and copyrights.

He is a real lawyer.

However, he specializes in IP law. And he has been a Cal lawyer since 1979. That is a very senior lawyer with over 35 years of experience. You would think that someone who has been in this game this long would know better.

So.... I'm thinking that some newby associate, or even a clerk in his office, is making these claims.

• Sep 9th, 2016 @ 9:00am

(untitled comment)

Bonus as the motivation? Seriously. I think the motivation was to keep from being let go. Fail to meet your quota, out the door you go.

There are lots of layoffs in the banking industry. Everyone is scared.

These staff know that getting a new job is very difficult. They have mouths to feed. We don't have a nice safety net in the US. So they do what they have to do to live another day.

The management met their numbers, got their bonus. The fallout is tomorrow's problem.

• Sep 6th, 2016 @ 9:48pm

I have written to the Calif. Dept of Weights and Measures asking them to do this exact thing in the past. They told me that they don't have jurisdiction.

If a business sells a product by some metric, then I can't imagine why it would not fall under this department's jurisdiction. I wrote in complaints about AT&T Wireless charging me for megabytes of data that didn't make any sense.

I fail to see why mobile cellular data, minutes on calling cards, internet data caps, whatever, are exempt from regulation. There is something very wrong with allowing a merchant to control the "meter" for their product.

More comments from yankinwaoz >>