yankinwaoz’s Techdirt Profile

yankinwaoz

About yankinwaoz

yankinwaoz’s Comments comment rss

• Mar 15th, 2017 @ 6:17pm

Old School!

I know this is old school. But I recently added DVD service to my Netflix. I don't have cable. Just OTA + Netflix.

Adding the 1 DVD plan added $10 to my price. So now I'm paying about $20 a month to Netflix. My internet is about $70. So $90 total out of pocket for all our TV/Movie supply.

This gives me access to HBO's content, but on DVD, for $5 less a month. Plus I get ALL the DVD content from all of the other studios too. I get to see the Showtime series. The cable network's series. Overseas series. Good movies. No shortage what at all.

True, I don't get the latest episode. But there are so many good shows that I haven't seen yet that there is no shortage of excellent, ad free, TV series that I can watch.

Another benefit of this is that I can't extreme binge. It forces a media consumption diet. I can't blow off going to the gym to watch one more episode because I have to wait for it to show up.

• Mar 10th, 2017 @ 10:23am

Bottomless Pit of need

Smart. They finally realized that the MPAA and RIAA are both bottomless pits of need that will never be satisfied.

The right solution when dealing with BPON is to stop trying to satisfy it.

• Feb 21st, 2017 @ 3:24pm

Protecting the cash cows!

There are heaps of examples of companies that drove themselves in to the dirt because they had to protect their cash cow at all costs.

For example: Kodak - Protecting its profitable film business, refused to switch to digital.

BlackBerry - Refused to invest in smart phones. Stuck with their profitable BB Service.

Digital Equipment Corp - "No one needs a computer in their home...". Nuff said.

• Jan 31st, 2017 @ 10:09am

Can the Bar Assoc get involved?

Can a lawyer send out legal threats that they know are illegal? Shouldn't that be reported to the Texas Bar Assoc?

• Jan 26th, 2017 @ 1:23pm

Just like your company's HR department is there to protect the company, not you. The Bar is there to protect lawyers from the public, not the public from lawyers. After all, it is lawyers who are paying the dues.

I have zero faith that a bar association will do anything to sanction a lawyer as long as he pays his dues.

• Dec 22nd, 2016 @ 8:28am

Low Blood Sugar

The co-owner who did the blacklisting and threats blames it on low blood sugar. Seriously.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/ham-radio-deluxe-support-hacked-my-computer.54796 2/page-38#post-4073533

• Nov 18th, 2016 @ 11:21am

The State Bar

Yea....
    Remember folks. Your state's Bar Association is just like your company's HR department. The HR department is there to protect the company, not you. The State Bar is there to protect lawyers and their industry, not you the public.

• Nov 16th, 2016 @ 8:20am

Re: Lottery 2.0

Same thing on the Nevada/Cal border on I-15. There is a shopping mall with a large parking lot on the border. On the Cal side of the border, there is nothing but one small store that sells Lotto tickets. During the big lotto draws you see a nice long line of Las Vegas residents winding through the parking lot waiting to buy a Cal lotto tix.

(FYI: Nevada does not have lottery).

• Nov 8th, 2016 @ 9:17am

(untitled comment)

The current ticket purchasing system is not benefiting either the artist/performer or the audience. The middle men, either it be Ticketmaster, or scalpers, are the ones making the money.

The answer would appear to be to get rid of the middleman. But that is not correct. There is nothing wrong with an artist selling their tickets to middleman as long as the middle man assumes the market risk. In the current setup, I'm not sure that the middlemen (Ticketmaster) even does that. I suspect that they stick the artist with the cost of unsold seats.

An analogy would be agriculture future options. A farmer knows he need $100K to grown a crop of soybeans. So he sells an option for those beans for $150k which guarantees that he will not lose money. The option buyer is betting that he can sell the beans for more than he paid. But if he loses that bet, it is the option buyer, not the farmer, that takes the loss.

That is the proper use of these middle men in the ticket industry. And the scalpers do this far better than the official ticket brokers.

An artists doesn't need to sell their risk. Very successful artists should be able to auction their tickets and keep the money themselves. In other words, they could bet on themselves.

Artists are being swindled by believing that they are buying "goodwill" with their fans by agreeing to sell seats at fraction of their market value. The reality is that these cheap seats always get taken by middleman and resold at a huge mark up.

Bottom line. This industry is as corrupt as it can be, and now they want the government to condone and protect their scam.

• Nov 8th, 2016 @ 8:38am

(untitled comment)

"...Trademark law exists not just to protect the rights of those who create, but to preserve the legacy and value of their art..."

Wait... isn't that Copyright law?

• Oct 4th, 2016 @ 4:37pm

Wow... you think he would know better

I couldn't help but wonder if this was a lawyer. Or some shady outfit hired to enforce trademarks and copyrights.

He is a real lawyer.

However, he specializes in IP law. And he has been a Cal lawyer since 1979. That is a very senior lawyer with over 35 years of experience. You would think that someone who has been in this game this long would know better.

So.... I'm thinking that some newby associate, or even a clerk in his office, is making these claims.

• Sep 9th, 2016 @ 9:00am

(untitled comment)

Bonus as the motivation? Seriously. I think the motivation was to keep from being let go. Fail to meet your quota, out the door you go.

There are lots of layoffs in the banking industry. Everyone is scared.

These staff know that getting a new job is very difficult. They have mouths to feed. We don't have a nice safety net in the US. So they do what they have to do to live another day.

The management met their numbers, got their bonus. The fallout is tomorrow's problem.

• Sep 6th, 2016 @ 9:48pm

I have written to the Calif. Dept of Weights and Measures asking them to do this exact thing in the past. They told me that they don't have jurisdiction.

If a business sells a product by some metric, then I can't imagine why it would not fall under this department's jurisdiction. I wrote in complaints about AT&T Wireless charging me for megabytes of data that didn't make any sense.

I fail to see why mobile cellular data, minutes on calling cards, internet data caps, whatever, are exempt from regulation. There is something very wrong with allowing a merchant to control the "meter" for their product.

• Aug 18th, 2016 @ 9:10am

I also wanted to add. The cable TV companies will learn the hard way that when these Millienials do have kids, those kids aren't going to watch cable TV. They are going to be using digital data apps using entertainment that the cable TV companies have no ownership of.

• Aug 18th, 2016 @ 9:06am

(untitled comment)

..."most cable sector executives still desperately cling to the narrative that cord cutting is a fad that stops once Millennials procreate."

Yea. They don't realize that most Millienials can't afford to procreate. You know, with those crazy tuition loans, sky high rents, low salaries, rising health insurance co-pays and premiums, and other more important bills than cable TV.

• Jul 11th, 2016 @ 5:47pm

Re: My suit...

Don't start watching if you have to work the next day. You will be glued to your TV for the next 12 hours.

Yea... I made that mistake. But it was worth it.

• Jul 8th, 2016 @ 4:01pm

Re: Talk about a no-win scenario

Thank you. I was wondering the same thing. Doesn't that mean that Russia wants access to my Gmail here in the US?

I wonder of the FSB has presented Putin with an invoice for doing this massive job? Talk about unfunded directives!

• Jul 8th, 2016 @ 2:25pm

Re: I don't like absolutes

Let me add. I really don't think that any judge is going to let plaintiffs do this very often. After all, they wasted the courts time too. So he/she must have done a damn good job convincing a judge of the merits of his/her argument.

• Jul 8th, 2016 @ 2:23pm

I don't like absolutes

Man. I am really torn here. I don't like absolutes that leave no discretion. It leads to insanely stupid execution of policies.

The classic example is the zero tolerance of drugs/weapons policy in schools that cause them to blow misunderstandings and mistakes out of proportion. Or the mandatory sentencing laws that force judges that hand out sentences that don't come close to matching the circumstances of the case.

We have to trust judges. If a judge felt that this case was enough of a mistake that it should not appear in the records, then I feel he needs to have the discretion to purge it.

What should be examined here is the process that is used to purge this case. Was the defendant notified? Was he/she allowed to contest the judge's decision? If all three parties are cool with it, then let them do it.

I think a good balance would be:
    (a) Approval of defendants
    (b) Automatic review of decision by that judges superiors

• May 25th, 2016 @ 10:42am

Until forced to keep logs

The Govt can ban the deletion of logs. And they can require logs be created, archived, and surrendered to any Barney Fife LEO who darkens their door.

More comments from yankinwaoz >>