yankinwaoz’s Techdirt Profile

yankinwaoz

About yankinwaoz

yankinwaoz’s Comments comment rss

• Feb 17th, 2015 @ 12:05pm

(untitled comment)

So what happens when AT&T forgets to honor their "no tracking" pledge? Or they start making exceptions that it becomes worthless?

In other words. They collect $30 a month, but we have no way to know that they haven't just tracked us anyhow. You can't sue them because they force no-suite clauses in their contract. And you can't prove that they failed unless some AT&T whistleblower gives them up.

• Feb 13th, 2015 @ 3:28pm

I would support this law being re-written for convicted pedophiles and see how that stands up to first-amendment scrutiny.

• Feb 13th, 2015 @ 3:18pm

(untitled comment)

It would help if the legislators had the balls to decrease the scope of whom they label "sex offender". They should have limited this to pedophiles, which is what I, and I think the public, assumed it was meant to address.

If you are convicted of taking a wizz on wall in an alley in the middle of the night, you are considered a sex offender.

If you make the mistake of being a teenager and sleeping with a girl under 18, you are a sex offender.

If you are a teenager, and a teen friend sends you a sext, or you send one, you are a sex offender.

And so on and so on. The law makes no distinction between the monsters who really need to locked up for life, and ordinary people on the other end of the "sex offender" spectrum.

• Feb 12th, 2015 @ 1:37pm

City name

What is funny is that he didn't trademark it because he didn't think he could trademark a city name.

Tabasco, the sauce, is named after the Tabasco peppers that came from the state of Tabasco in Mexico. So really, the sauce is named after a place. Yet, it is trademarked.

He is a smart guy. Letting the Tabasco Corp run all of those expensive ads for him.

• Feb 5th, 2015 @ 7:19am

WDJ Editorial

In today's Wall Streek Journal editorial page, top letter from the WSJ was bitching about this move by the FCC and how terrible it was for the American way of business.

I stopped reading it about half way through. Yes, they have a good point, that government rules always add friction. And in an ideal world, we would not have them.

But the rest of the editorial was the same old BS. It works perfect now! Why are we breaking it then? No company would dare piss off if its customers by implementing discrimination (despite all evidence to the contrary).

Man that letter ticked me off. I guess when Verizon buys full page ads in your paper, they get to write the editorials.

• Feb 4th, 2015 @ 3:18pm

Not smart

I was thinking about this. These guys were busted because they had not learned the tricks of how to spy on love interest without being detected. They were newbies.

I suspect there are a lot of very smart guys at the NSA who know how people who do this are caught, and how to do this without being caught.

I thought of a way on the way in this morning. What about indirect look ups? We know the NSA is allowed to have 3 to 4 hops of relationships. So don't look her up directly. Instead, look up someone who knows someone she knows. Then *voila*, your girlfriend's profile comes along for the ride.

The NSA analyst can honestly claim he had no knowledge of the person he asked to look at.

I'm sure they have perfected methods.

• Jan 27th, 2015 @ 11:35am

(untitled comment)

BS. If someone wants to find cops to hurt, then all they have to do is call 911 and wait for them to come. They aren't going to bother with Waze.

• Jan 24th, 2015 @ 6:42am

Sorry... this isn't the same

I consider myself libertarian. But I agree with Utah on this one. You shouldn't be allowed to operate an uninsured vehicle.

Here is California the uninsured vehicles are out of control. People can buy 1-day insurance policies, just long enough to get the registration past the DMV. It is total BS.

A friend of mine was hit and seriously injured by a woman who bought insurance from the back of a van in the downtown LA Mexican market. Guess what? It turned out to be nothing but a worthless piece of paper. She was uninsured, yet the police let her walk. As far as we know, she is still driving around LA hitting people with her car.

I really wish my state would implement a system like they have in other countries. You have to pre-pay 6 to 12 months of insurance in order to get your registration. You pay through the DMV. That way every car is insured.

• Jan 16th, 2015 @ 5:03pm

Are you sure?

I don't think that he is requiring a conviction. I think now all the police have to do is claim there was a crime (that is file charges). I suspect that nothing will change. Instead they will just start filing the paperwork with the DA now. The DA will of course dismiss the charges, and the police get to keep the money/car/whatever.

I wish Holder had simply said that a conviction was required.

I also wish he had said that people don't have to sue to get their property back. Nor do people have to settle for less than 100%. If they fail to prove a crime, then they have to return ALL the property immediately. Right now they make you sue them and fight it for years.

• Jan 16th, 2015 @ 4:50pm

Oh yea. Like the Orange County California DA's office letting debt collectors use their letter head.

• Dec 22nd, 2014 @ 11:05am

TV news... really?

I am saddened when I see the partisan sniping about cable TV news networks. "Faux News".. "Clinton News Network". Really?

News flash! All news networks have an agenda. The newspapers and magazines do too. In other news, water is wet.

What I can't understand is why anyone would choose to consume their news via a cable news show in the first place regardless of their political slant. It just seems so inefficient.

It is far more efficient for me to use web based news aggregators to find the news I am interested in. It lets me read it as my schedule. I can choose to invest my time in subjects that deeply interest me. It gives the news service a way to do their job the best they can.

The few times I have watched cable news, I find their information is at best half baked, speculative, and sometimes just plain wrong. Unless I need to know that a comet is about to land on my head, I don't need breaking news.

For example, two cops are murdered in NYC. That is legit news. So take your time news writers. Do the research, put it in context, then present it to me when you are done. I don't need to know this today. It serves me zero good in regard to the decisions I need to make today.

I really hope more and more people are thinking like I do and tuning out the cable news noise. It is no better than the entertainment news, all junk food for the brain.

• Dec 11th, 2014 @ 11:23am

Isn't this highly illegal

The DMCA has an anti-circumvention provision. Fines between $200 to $2500 can be awarded.

Wouldn't doing this open up the owner of a Keruig to being sued and fined?

• Jul 2nd, 2014 @ 5:26pm

(untitled comment)

Holy frijoles! The USTPO gave this guy a trademark on the word "HOW". I thought he was making it up. Nope. Here they are!

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=4210276&caseType=US_REGISTRATION_NO&searchType=statusS earch

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=4388331&caseType=US_REGISTRATION_NO&searchType=status Search

However. I did notice that the trademark is all uppercase.

• Mar 11th, 2014 @ 8:39am

She lies

I recently got a letter from Feinstein informing me that the NSA does not spy on US citizens.

"...please be assured that the NSA does not conduct mass surveillance on U.S. citizens."

So all those giant Prism taps at ISP's around the country are there to improve network performance?

I give up.

• Feb 4th, 2014 @ 10:28am

I might be the publisher's fault

It might be the case that the publishers refuse to license books to a platform that doesn't have a working DRM in place. So Adobe had to whip up a new one, just good enough to meet the demands of the publishers, existing customers be dammed.

• Dec 19th, 2013 @ 11:40am

Make safer intersections!

A lot of this red light camera stuff is moot. The same idiots that run red lights can just as easily run a stop sign.

If public safety is the justification for the cameras, then a better solution would be roundabouts. Collisions in roundabouts are usually side-to-side, not T-Bones. You can even engineer a roundabout with a light. Roundabouts are also much more efficient and less polluting too.

But most drivers in the US are too stupid to use them. In my hometown (Santa Barbara) they installed a large roundabout (Large for California) at a 5-way intersection (Milpas, Hwy 101 ramps, and Carp. St. I've driven all over the world. Not a problem. But that intersection scares the hell out of me. People either come to a screeching halt and freeze with paralysis. Or they just blow through it not yielding to anything. Except for me, I've never seen anyone signal going out, which I think is a nice courtesy to others.

If you want a good laugh: In Long Beach on Highway 1 there is a large roundabout (The Los Alamitos Circle). Stand there and watch the cars navigate it. You will either want to weep in shame, or laugh. or shoot all of the other drivers. I really wish the DMV would recall all Cal. driver's licenses and only reissue after you learned how to safely transverse a traffic circle.

• Nov 21st, 2013 @ 10:57am

Re: Realistic Pricing of First Class Postage

I agree. I think I mail 6 letters a year now. So I think it is fine if I pay $1 a stamp.

I also wish the USPS would drop Saturday service. This is left over from the days when phone calls were expensive and there was no email, etc.

However, I think they should have a 7 day a week parcel delivery service. That makes more sense.

• Nov 15th, 2013 @ 12:16pm

Wait.. I pay for the cops

As a tax payer, I don't want my police wasting their time examining every teenager with a mobile phone in my local megaplex cinema. Especially on behalf of asshats like the MPAA. The fact that they insist that the theater call the police is outrageous.

• Nov 14th, 2013 @ 11:28am

But it is THEIR content

I don't understand the hub bub.

This is a website that belongs to a political party. They can do with it what they wish... right? Is there a law in the UK that requires a party to maintain an online history of every utterance made?

Perhaps they looks at their stats and noticed that no one, or very few people, was retrieving their archive pages. So they decided to cull them from the site rather than paying for the hosting of that much data.

Maybe the robots.txt entries was a just a lazy way of preventing a bunch of 404's from being logged by an SE spider trying to get to content that is no longer there. I suspect that they didn't even realize that this also purges content from an internet archive service.

It is the public interest to save political speeches. I'm sure there is some sort of .gov.uk site, such as a national library, that is a better suited as the custodian of the UK's political history. One that would curate content from all political parties and activist.

• Apr 6th, 2010 @ 10:07pm

Re: Legislation needed

A better analogy would be:

The phone company is paid by Dominoes to degrade, or even prohibit phone calls to Pizza Hut. To make matters worse, they don't disclose this fact to the consumers. The consumer just thinks that Pizza doesn't answer their phone.