Robert P’s Techdirt Profile

About Robert P

Robert P’s Comments comment rss

• Jun 18th, 2015 @ 8:05am

Comcast support has been good to me

I hate to buck the trend, but I've had a number of good experiences with Comcast support. I live a bit out in the country. Whenever I've had to have someone come to my house, it's always been within a day (or same day). I attribute this to not having a large customer base, which means higher availability. I also have a comcast "store" nearby and those people are all local and very friendly.

My most recent experience was a couple days ago. I recently upgraded my Tivo. After using the Tivo for a few days, I noticed I was missing some channels that another Tivo in the house was getting. I called Comcast. The guy I talked to didn't fix the problem, but he did notice that I had some old codes on my account. He fixed the codes, which upgraded my service from 25Mb to 50Mb and reduce my bill by about $20. He then dispatched someone to come take a look.

When the guy came onsite, it wasn't a physical problem, but he stuck around working through his various internal support channels until someone found a mismatch on the hostid of my Tivo to what was on the account. Once that was fixed, everything worked.

So, there are some problems with the above. Why was a manual review required to find old/outdated codes, why couldn't the first guy fix the hostid problem, etc. My point is, everyone I worked with was professional and seemed to be to be honestly trying to both solve my problem and make things better for me.

Not discounting the tremendous number of horror stories out there and I'm also still pissed at Comcast for capping my data but I wanted to point out that it's not all bad with them. There are people who work there who honesty try to do what they can for the customer.

• Mar 30th, 2015 @ 9:23pm

For the children

Well, it's my understanding that child molesters never pay taxes. Think of the children!

• Jan 12th, 2015 @ 7:41am

Clearly, something has to change at Apple.

• Sep 10th, 2014 @ 1:55pm

"happy" with comcast speed

I just noticed something interesting in this article about Comcast. The plan I'm paying for (for internet) says I will get 12Mbps download. I'm actually getting 25Mb (or more, I've seen peaks over 50). Given what I'm actually getting, I can see now reason to pay for more service. This behavior gives them the ability to say "...many consumers choose to buy services with lower download speeds."

Makes me wonder if this is why I'm getting faster speeds than they're "required" to give according to the plan I'm purchasing. If I was consistently getting 12, I'd definitely be paying more to get faster service.

• May 15th, 2014 @ 8:38am

So, in other words; I know you're going to shoot me, since I know (expect) you're going to shoot me, it's not really murder, it's more like suicide. Therefore, you're not really doing anything wrong.

• Apr 17th, 2014 @ 10:18am

(untitled comment)

" in order to mitigate any of those kinds of complaints, we basically kept it pretty hush-hush.”

The level of honesty from this officer clearly can not be tolerated. He should be fired immediately.

• Jul 3rd, 2013 @ 12:17pm

I don't think you can argue that copying isn't stealing and then say what the government is doing is "the taking of private information – is what the government has now been forced to admit "

They're not taking anything, it still exists where it did originally. They're copying it. Minor distinction? Maybe, but that's the distinction you use when someone says people can't steal data.

• Apr 26th, 2013 @ 6:28am

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that way. I didn't get the "like us or else" message from reading the infographic. To me, it just looks like they're saying if you can't pay, those who contact us end up working something out, those who don't contact us, just don't pay and end up defaulting.

• Mar 29th, 2013 @ 11:42am

very funny, fortunately doesn't fit my experience

I've been a fortunate and happy Comcast customer, especially since I moved to my current residence. I get good (not as best as possible) internet speeds, very reliable service (almost no outages) and when needed, they comcast guy is usually available the next day, shows up on time and knows what he's talking about.

I'm the 1%

• Mar 21st, 2013 @ 6:45am

Moving away from Google

It's a great search engine, but I'm finding myself moving away from Google (albeit slowly) for this very reason. I've seen quite a few apps come and go (I was a big fan of Wave). Given how little faith we can have on the long term viability of a given app they come up with (google health anyone?) it's just to risky to start using something of theirs now.

BTW, Bing's a pretty strong competitor on the search front too.

• Feb 13th, 2013 @ 9:31am

(untitled comment)

Another conjecture (the first thing I thought of) is that people who make more are probably using broadband more (and/or higher speeds) and thus would see disconnect as being a more harsh penalty than those who might not use it as much.

• Jan 17th, 2013 @ 11:37am

(untitled comment)

I suspect this is taken a bit out of context, or maybe he just didn't make himself clear (or maybe he's a loon but happens to agree with my perspective a bit).

I agree that people (whether the "youth of today or my age or whatever) should know how to do some things on their own. You should know how to change a tire, put gas in your car (check youtube for the moronic people who just can't see to manage that) drive a nail in and hang a picture, etc.

You should have a basic understanding of how your computer/tv/DVD/etc. works vs. just where the power button is and how the UI works.

If your response to every question is lmgtfy, then you're probably spending a whole lot less time thinking critically than you should.

• Sep 5th, 2012 @ 7:38am

Do they exist?

Mike, you said: "Wouldn't it be nice if we actually elected a principled politician? Do they even exist any more?"

Not wanting to start a "but he sucks, look at x" flame war, but in my opinion, Ron Paul would have been the best contender for "principled politician". Also Senator Wyden.

• Aug 15th, 2012 @ 9:35am

I think you used the wrong word.

When you said "gee, how can we 'exclude' people?" I think what they're actually thinking is "gee, how can we 'monetize' people?" They don't want to exclude anyone (rather the opposite) they just want to find the way to make the most money per viewer as possible. Finding better/more convenient ways for viewers to consume content is not really part of their mindset, unfortunately.

• Jun 1st, 2012 @ 9:44am

(untitled comment)

What's sad is that this sounds very much like something I'd expect a US senator/congressman to write. Just about all of these could be reworded to something we're hearing from our "leaders" right now.

• Mar 30th, 2012 @ 5:11am

Shazam managed it fine

I "bought" the free version of Shazam back when I had my first iPhone. When they started to monetize their success (good for them) they were able to take all their users who had purchased the app for free and essentially convert them to fully paid versions. I continued to get enjoy the app with all the new features they were now charging for. During an iPhone migration, I briefly lost access to the app (It didn't recognize my new phone) but when I contacted them, I was able to provide proof of purchase and they re-enabled my account immediately.

I don't see why Bravo couldn't do the same thing. Apple should make this a requirement (surprised it's not already) that app owners retain whatever access they had when they purchased the app, regardless what they paid for it.

• Mar 22nd, 2012 @ 8:13am

While I think SZC was dumb suing the bar, how has this really backfired for them? Will they make fewer movies? Will people not go to see their movies? Are they having to pay someone as a result of this activity? Yeah, they got some bad press (from people who are aware of this at all) but what else?

BTW, serious question, not rhetoric. Has there actually been any repercussions to their actions?

• Jan 24th, 2012 @ 6:55am

Not as bad as it sounds?

A little googling indicates Chicago's not the only one. From what I've seen, this isn't a copyright thing. Chicago does it only in a limited fashion. They restrict sketching in certain galleries where they have an exhibit that's only going to be available for a short period. They have high traffic volume through that area, so they limit sketching to avoid having people standing around (interrupting the other people who are moving through).

I may not like the idea, but if that's the reason, it seems like a reasonable approach. Allow more people to see the exhibit at the cost of limiting the amount of time artists can spend sketching.

• Jan 19th, 2012 @ 7:36am

MPAA could help here

We should ask the MPAA to do their little math/conflation tricks on these numbers. We'd end up with billions of people who are against SOPA.

• Dec 27th, 2011 @ 1:00pm

Lee Anderson against John Barron (GA)

Looks like Lee Anderson has registered with the FEC to go up against John Barrow.

More comments from Robert P >>