tqk’s Techdirt Profile

tqk

About tqk

Sometimes, for rent: used Programmer/Analyst & System Administrator. I've umpteen years in IT, 15+ years as a self-employed contractor. Since ca. 2009, I've been pretty much coasting disillusioned, but I think I've conceived a workable plan recently.

"I'd like to change the world, but I don't know what to do, so I'll leave it up to you." -- Some Hippy 60s band.

tqk’s Comments comment rss

• Aug 1st, 2015 @ 7:06am

You're talking about two types of vehicle both referred to as 'drones', but are almost completely unrelated otherwise.

This is a prosecutor we're talking about. Facts are irrelevant details which merely cloud the issue.

• Aug 1st, 2015 @ 6:44am

By the way, I actually do believe the CIA is that evil, however, I also know there's absolutely no way under the sun that anyone will ever get even close to proving it and outing them.

Have fun!

• Aug 1st, 2015 @ 6:38am

But then I am a bit paranoid as I believe the twin towers and WTC 7 were brought down by demolition charges ...

No. The paint (all internal walls were repainted only months prior) was a special CIA mixture that enhances combustion. It was made to be a firetrap because they wanted to obliterate evidence.

[obligatory]: Obama knows this is true, but he can't complain because they'll kill him if he does!

Chyaa, right. I probably ought to mix in some HRC here too, but Zzzzz ...

• Aug 1st, 2015 @ 6:19am

So what we have here is some asinine grandstanding prosecutor ...

Is there any other kind?

• Jul 31st, 2015 @ 4:36pm

Re: "If it bleeds, it leads."

Remember that exchange in "Absence of Malice"?

I do, yes. Great movie/story. Sally damned near redeemed herself with that one. Paul was brilliant.
    (0) /home/blah_ hostname
    AbsenceOfMalice

• Jul 31st, 2015 @ 4:27pm

Re: 'Murder charges, murder charges for everyone!'

Sounds fair, so I take it the DA's office will also be filing murder charges against reporters on the scenes of disasters or crimes ...

If a grand jury can indict a ham sandwich, it can indict you too. This prosecutor's just as out of control as all the rest of them. Do you feel safe yet?

• Jul 31st, 2015 @ 4:23pm

Yeah, and a load of buckshot should do the rest, you'd think. They aren't anywhere near military grade and armored, ffs.

• Jul 31st, 2015 @ 4:18pm

(untitled comment)

However, something about these stories really has the feel of your typical local news exaggeration/moral panic. The coverage is always by local TV news reporters. The details are slim, but the moral panic aspect is ratcheted up quite high.

I'm beginning to think you're my long lost, separated at birth, twin brother. I wish.

No, I cannot see that a little plastic thingy has any chance whatsoever of standing up to the backwash of a prop driven water-bomber airplane, and holy !@#$ is this !@#$ overblown!

I suggest we follow the money, *AND* discredit a few very credulous supposed "journalists." It'll be fun!

• Jul 31st, 2015 @ 3:45pm

I think the difference is that one of the calling cards of the left is that they ARE for the little guy while actually not being that.

I mentioned something along this line a few days ago. They both suck, but the Dems actually purport to be in favour of the "little guy." The GOP can't even bother to do that. They're outright beholden to Big Gov't, Bible Thumpers, tough on crime, who do we invade next, etc., yada yada.

So, GOP? Are you nuts?!?

Democrats? Fuck, no. They're just lieing bastards too.

Sounds pretty simple to me. "None of the above."

• Jul 31st, 2015 @ 3:23pm

Re: Re: Revolting? Yes. Surprising? Not in the slightest.

we will protest and we will win!

I hope so, but at the same time I suspect you're delusional. Are Wikipedia and Google going to weigh in on this as they did on SOPA? Are multiple millions all over the world going to understand backroom deal threats like TPP? I doubt it.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

• Jul 31st, 2015 @ 3:03pm

SNAFU!

... it appears that the US has convinced a bunch of other countries -- who should know better -- ...

We do! Sadly, just like you, other countries' citizen voters don't matter here. Our politicians love the smell of cash as much as yours do. This's the Hollywierd MafiAA buying our elected representatives' access to lawmaking against our wishes, just as it has yours. I don't know why they can continue to get away with this, but apparently they can (so far).

I look forward to seeing them all hanging from meathooks in the town square. I dream about it, even. It would be very educational, I think. I think we should hope to hand that vision down to future generations, so they won't get suckered as we've been (so far).

This is so, bad, yet it still has legs! Astonishing.

• Jul 31st, 2015 @ 2:30pm

Re: Re: Re: Pointing guns = "Intimidation"

I should have said "supposedly elite RCMP." I haven't considered them anywhere near elite for a long time. I consider them Canada's commercial version of the FBI. They're very good at collecting money from municipalities who don't want to run their own police force, but Constable Fraser from "Going South", they're certainly not.

• Jul 31st, 2015 @ 2:02pm

Re: Class action?

... no reasonable consumer would buy a TV that could only be used by consenting to onerous and unfairly one-sided terms.

Commercial software users have been doing that for more than a couple decades. "EULA"s are known for being the least read and understood contracts ever devised by man. However, SCOTUS allows it anyway.

Linux users have been complaining about this "Microsoft Tax" for just as long, but can I now get a refund for the pre-installed Windows(TM) software on my new computer which I'll never use? Chyaa, right.

Welcome to the 21st Century.

• Jul 31st, 2015 @ 1:46pm

Clearly "capitalism" is not alive and well when the customer is always wrong.

Capitalism is alive and well (but the customer is not always right). It's just not prevalent. Would be tyrants and special interests mooching political favors that our taxes pay for tend to be prevalent these days. "We, the people" are too busy with 21st Century complexity, and our educators are not preparing us very well for dealing with any of it (they never really could). As a mostly self-taught individual, this's no surprise to me. We expected far more from public education than it was ever capable of delivering. It's a glorified baby-sitting service at best, and cradle to grave debt machine.

When I'm elected Dark Overlord, I'll disband public education and plow the money saved into universally accessible libraries free for all to use. I don't know why we didn't do that in the first place. I suppose free baby-sitting was too hard to pass up, given all the other crap people were finding they needed to deal with.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." Maybe the horse can smell the well's poisoned.

• Jul 31st, 2015 @ 1:00pm

The internet does not forget.

So true! Even more, we still practice the old Roman Empire tradition of stirring entrails. You go ahead and un-publish what you mistakenly published. We've got our own Wayback Machines containing cached copies of what you no longer want us to see. A few incantations of pdftotext piped through diff, and voila your tap dancing is revealed. Shazam!

There's a lot of eyeballs out here watching, and apparently you forgot. Mike nailed it before he even showed us what was going on.

You might want to put in a bit more effort next time, and know that you underestimate us at your peril. Have a marvy day!

• Jul 31st, 2015 @ 12:46pm

Just like there is nothing wrong with Techdirt deciding that anonymous speech is acceptable.

TD didn't decide that. It was decided long ago by many others, for many well justified and perfectly valid reasons. TD is just staying the course and agreeing with that, to their credit. Eliminating anonymous speech is shallow thinking and dangerous revisionism which ignores that history. When a couple of corps decide anonymity is inconvenient for them, we need to read them the riot act and point out everything is not all about them or their convenience.

Remember what happens when you fail to learn the lessons of history. Do you really want to go there again? I don't. We fought too hard and too many people paid too much to get where we are, and we're still having to fight to stay at least where we are, much less backsliding. We still have a long way to go before we all end up as free as I'd like us all to be. Forgetting basic truths because they're inconvenient to a few corps isn't helping us get to that goal.

• Jul 31st, 2015 @ 12:02pm

Re: Amerik Injustice for Amerik Incarceration - "Amerik Co.Inc." the American Prison Industry

"It’s not standard to conduct investigations beforehand because that delays the apprehension of suspects."

That's just so stupid, it's ridiculous. If you must, sure roll out SWAT, but while they're on their way you can research the situation (contact the building mgr. or bldg. security) then update SWAT with the new information. I'd call that criminal negligence and utter incompetence if they're not doing that.

He should be fired immediately.

• Jul 31st, 2015 @ 11:54am

Re: haste makes waste

This's been going on a lot longer than "simpleton bush." The difference is they don't get away with it as easily any more now that everyone's carrying a movie camera connected to the Internet, and everyone carrying them is as powerful as the NY Times.

• Jul 31st, 2015 @ 11:48am

Re: Pointing guns = "Intimidation"

I assume during the Ferguson standoff that a trigger slip was exactly what the administrators were hoping for, so they could have a justified massacre.

We may still get that out of the Biker-burger-joint-massacre in Waco.

At least in Canada it's still quite different. The one time I came up against SWAT, they were all very carefully aiming their street sweepers (automatic shotguns) at the ground, and these were lowly city cops, not the elite RCMP. Perhaps we could loan you some to re-train yours.

• Jul 31st, 2015 @ 11:26am

Re: Eventually...

SWAT teams will be directed to empty houses furnished with proximity firebombs.

If SWAT can't be bothered to do any research prior to executing no-knock warrants, this can almost be construed as pre-emptive self defence. They're no better than mad dogs. They're little better than a heavily armed gang roaming the streets breaking down doors and shooting the occupants indiscriminately. We're not supposed to be tolerating that from anyone, much less our police forces.

More comments from tqk >>