surfer’s Techdirt Profile

surfer

About surfer

old, with lots of degrees in engineering. disrespecting copyright every chance I get.

surfer’s Comments comment rss

• Aug 8th, 2016 @ 12:17pm

Re: Re: give them everything they want.

piracy has always been the boogeyman. they have no inclination of stopping piracy whatsoever, it is the gremlin to point at and whine. MUSO estimates piracy as low as 5% in amerika. it is the gist of all evils.

agreed, if everyone in the world stopped buying movies and music completely, the MAFIAA would run to the gov and get laws demanding money from everyones wallet irrespective of reality.

I changed my consumption habits 22 years ago, never looked back. I still stand my my statement, give them everything they want, adapt or die.

• Aug 8th, 2016 @ 11:50am

Re: Re: give them everything they want.

they are already avoiding monetizing youtube in efforts to strangle the market, and flood takedown notices in efforts to show the notice and takedown system doesnt work. they will NEVER be satisfied.

they are already taking massive innovation to the grave, at this point there is no real additional damage that cannot be absorbed in letting them die a violent death, taking whatever casualties with them.

• Aug 8th, 2016 @ 11:16am

give them everything they want.

I say give them everything they want, restrict their audience, the sooner they make less money the sooner they will be replaced.

• Jun 14th, 2016 @ 7:47am

Re: no

try a real free, encrypted app called telegram

• Mar 24th, 2016 @ 12:06pm

or, if you think..

like Cary;

'The consumption of music is skyrocketing, but revenues for creators have not kept pace. '

consumption;
    ----------------------------------->

our profit;
    ------------>

our EXPECTED profit;
    ------------>+----------------------------------->

'More people are listening, therefore more people need to be paying! It's another form of piracy I say!'
    -Cary

of course the amount they skim off the top that goes to the artists will not be affected even if their profits go up, that will remain the same, as little as possible.
    I can imagine that if it was even $24 Billion, with a B, they would be singing the same tune.

• Mar 10th, 2016 @ 2:55pm

sites that block content..

my 2¢..

link if you like, im a tabbed browser kinda person, open in new tab from link.. each and every single time I encounter this rebuff, I simply close the tab.

the content is simply not worth being lambasted with idiocy of ads for objects/services/things I will never buy.. EVER.

since its adblock's initial debut in dec of '09 and installation, i have been ad free for over 6 years, I like the cleanliness of not being distracted by flash or blinky blinky BUY HERE sh*t.

/end my 2¢

• Feb 25th, 2016 @ 5:28pm

if you're not outraged, you are not paying attention..

really? divine debate? understanding? IP insinuations? w0w, just w0w.. I thought the techdirt community was more enlightened than this..

you amerikans are hilarious, deceived and duplicitous in your own demise.

does anyone REALLY think this is about 'following every lead'?, if the FBI is so intent in following every lead, why not dig deeper into Hillary Clintons email fiasco? hmm?

this is nothing short of your gov fscking you even deeper, longer and with no reach around, or lubricant. This is nothing short of getting their precedent using third party doctrine and the all writs act to circumvent congress, due process and your 'inalienable' rights, face it, you have no rights anymore, sitting on your couch watching football and drinking pisswater beer. you actually deserve this victimization.

never has a terrorist toxified over 300,000 citizens drinking water for a payout, see Flint, MI, or daily murder 100s in remote drone attacks in countries you dont even have international relations with. I am absolutely amazed at the utter stupidity being dealt to the obese sheeple in the states of amerika. just w0w.

if you cannot see that this is nothing more than another chip off you're privacy rights in a country completely benign of privacy rights anymore you should be ashamed, and re-read the subject line of this post.

so much for 'going quietly into the night', change the channel, find some football, eat some more pringles and drink more beer, never in my life have I seen a more pitiful wretchedness of incontrovertible stupidity in my existence.

land of the free eh? keep believing in that 'amerikan dream'

• Feb 9th, 2016 @ 1:16pm

copyfraud

copyfraud; the illegal pursuant of a licensing demand that was not owned by the 'alleged' copyright holder. theft from the public domain in direct effort to feloniously support a business model, each count of licensing demands should be met with a $150,000 statutory damages for each and every license pursued during the terms of the dispute.

evidence the work was elevated to the public domain in 1927 @ ~ $20 million / yr profit, using real facts and not hollywood accounting numbers, I would say Warner Bros is on the hook for $1.78 billion, with a 'B' towards a pool fund where everyone who licensed the song since 1927 can demand from.

live by copyright, be bankrupted by copyfraud. they should just double the fine, because copyfraud.

• Feb 4th, 2016 @ 12:14pm

I'm confused..

Is not the copyright OWNED by the producer of said broadcast/filming/photograph?

If neither the NFL or Mr.Haupt registered the required 28yr copyright on the 'tape' AND the NFL cannot own the contents of the tape, how in the world is this even a fight?

either;
    "This telecast is copyrighted by Mr. Haupt for the private use of our audience. Any other use of this telecast or any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the game without the Mr. Haupt's consent is prohibited."

simply replace NFL with Mr. Haupt on the NFL's bullshit claims they spew during any televised game.

or:
    Shouldn't this tape be in the public domain?

'To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.', remember?

• Jan 29th, 2016 @ 8:02am

thanks..

both of your comments have helped. I think anons comment is simply a stepping stone toward the New World Order wherein corporations ACTUALLY do own nations and the humans living there.

I feel the goal in this baby step is to link your wallet to corporations so they can withdraw at their leisure.

Insightful, thanks..

• Jan 29th, 2016 @ 6:57am

from a greedy corporation standpoint..

Ok, TPP bad, mkay.. I get it. I've lurked here for years, great site btw Mr. Masnick..

Can someone ELI5 how the multi-national corporations pushing so badly for this clusterfsck are indeed going to benefit?

The reason I ask is simple. Typically these greedy bastards are incredibly narrow minded and so blinded by greed, any typical 7yr old can circumvent the new implications with some minor behavioral modifications. (i.e. cord-cutting et al.)

I am interested in an article(s) outlining the detrimental effects in laymen's terms that would improve an individuals ability to retain some semblance of freedom moving forward. I understand it's blatant copywrong aspects (consider me one of the many that has zero respect for copyright anymore, and could care less) baked into the TPP, but would like to better understand other possible behavior changes needed to circumvent the intended goals.

With the fervor with which this is being pushed, looking at it thru the eyes of pure greed, I fail to understand what they hope to gain. Knowing that, of course, I am incapable of thinking like a greedy, self-serving massive global conglomerate hell bent on profit$.

TIA

• Mar 31st, 2015 @ 7:39pm

a pirate's perspective..

I dont comment here often, and obviously, when I do its from Hong Kong, or China, or Belarus, Japan, Russia, Ukraine and a million other TOR exit nodes built into my VPN client. Event techdirt sometimes asks me captcha thinking I am not human, which is great. I feel that it is of nobody's business who/where/or what I am. Suffice it to say, I knew about the Snowden highlights long before they were public, and I like my privacy.

Nor do I post here often, in respect for the quality journalism Tim, Mike and Glyn without feeding the trolls here that I am in any associated with their ideals or 'agenda'.

I am considered a pirate, fair enough. But to read article after article of the most inane, useless prattling of a dead industry, its mindboggling.

Here's how a dedicated 'pirate' works. Well above 30+, double docterate in Computer Science and Engineering, have written software for the better part of 2 decades for banking, finance, mortgate, human resources and health care. got a nice client list and resume, making big 6 zeros for the last 10 years.

this is how we do it.
    Scene: person/group/software captures broadcast of x show in SD, HD720p and HD1080p formats. automation of timing markers by broadcast identify the commercial start/end and software simply removes them, remuxes to our format of choice, typically matroska. this is all automated.

Distribution: x show, now encapsulated, sometimes including regional subs,etc. are now released to bittorrent, freenet, TOR, iirc and usenet. this is all automated.

Indexing: many indexing sites are now private and are not scraped by google or other web bot, so infringing content is never identified. Many of these indexing tools have apis, which allow other software to interact on unknown, unwatched, secure ports. The api allows other software to scan the index for defined filters/shows/episodes/seasons, u name it. there is a HUGE world of software developed in the vacuum that eases the automation process immensely.

apis: tools like sickbeard, couchpotato and sabnzbd+ make it easy to configure tv shows and movies to be automatically identified and downloaded using SSL or other heavily encrypted method. typically the 'base' download machine is already behind a many hop VPN or using a TOR exit node. this eliminates threats like deep packet inspection, view the garbage, feel free. this is also automated.

archiving: the apis are so versatile they easily rename, archive and keep watch for new identified movies/tv shows, this too is all automated. the big cost is storage. 4tb of quality drive is around 300usd.

so, after 10 years of this process, ive accumulated over 123 of the top 100 shows, ever, to include ireland, england, australia, new zealand and canada, to be able to watch, at my convenience.

to compare to the price chart above, ill outline my overhead to compare to what cable offers;

TV shows currently 'watching';
    Scorpion
    Vikings
    The Walking Dead
    Californication*
    Heroes*
    Star Trek TOS*
    (* no longer active, but that doesnt mean I cannot find them)

every time a new 'episode' is available for watched, its automatically downloaded, washed, pressed and folded for viewing, this is all automated.

Overhead:
    internet 100usd/mo
    VPN 10usd/mo
    private indexing access 6/mo
    usenet access 40/mo
    hardware 100/mo

so, my monthly out of pocket is 256usd/mo that includes internet. but with that, i get the shows I want to watch, when I want to watch them, in the format I want to see, AND i have a copy to watch someday when i want in the future.

Sure, not everyone has 40tb to mess with, but its been an accumulative game that while the mafiaa refuses to compromise, incredible tools have filled customer demand.

cutting cords you say? ive not seen a broadcast commercial since the live broadcast of NFL SuperBowl, otherwise, its been close to 14 years. I dont do commercials, the network got paid by the advertiser, some of the shows I gather were already paid for, others like Game of Thrones made millions selling the broadcast rights, so everybody got paid, nobody lost money, and 'expected' income is bullshit, sure, i had an expected income of 1.2m last year, but i cant file that on my taxes, or sue the FCC because I cannot fuck clients anymore.

bottom line is, if they offered what I want, when I want for the 256usd/mo, I would STILL not switch, let the fuckers burn.

-- Free Peter Sunde

• Jan 13th, 2015 @ 8:47am

Re: boycott

been boycotting them since 1998, attempting to single-handedly destroy the industry with my pirating ways. 21Tb archive and growing every day. Have not seen a television commercial, or pre-movie FBI idiocy in over 15 years.

they steal from the public domain, I infringe, so who's the criminal again?

• Dec 29th, 2014 @ 8:05pm

Re: useful idiots

you don't get it, this is systemic..

when was the last time Congress actually passed a law with the people in mind, even legalization of marijuana is $$$ motivated, and convenient to those with greed, and power to enact bought, paid and written laws.

your country is now an international joke.

• Jul 11th, 2013 @ 3:28pm

Re: Re: I thought The Hill allowed comments

and THIS is why I have 24Tb, and more movies than Netflix.

• Jun 4th, 2013 @ 8:20am

Re: Re: w0w

understood, however, upon my own research www.googleanalytics.com and many, many other 'google apps' attempt to extract an enormous amount of information during everyday surfing.

im not a tinfoil hatter, but I do respect my own privacy, and take considerable measures to ensure my anonymity is anonomous. not for paranoid reasons, but because i believe information is mine to divulge, not to be extracted.

• Jun 4th, 2013 @ 7:04am

w0w

this is the first coherent post I have read from you in almost 3 years, I just had to login for once.

typically I troll TD to report idiot rantings, but out of the blue, you actually stayed on topic, had something logical to add, and didnt berate anyone in the process.

1 internets for you.

• Nov 8th, 2012 @ 6:54am

Re: Commercials

this is the simple convenience that file-sharers contribute to the overall 'experience'. also, it states in copyright law that if you modify a significant piece of copyrighted material, that you are in fact authorized to apply new copyright to the result. just like the music studios 'remaster' albums, they get a new copyright.

so if file sharing 'pirates' redact 20min of commercials from a 60min show, that is a 30% modification, and should have a new copyright applied. the **AAs do this all the time, so why is this infringing for others to do the same thing?

• Nov 7th, 2012 @ 10:06am

Re: Re: Re: "In the U.S., book piracy is a growing problem."

true, I was simply using the idiots own statements to make him look like a fool, even if 1% purchased a translated version, that is still 7 million he would never have seen BECAUSE of his Publisher.

it's simple, file-sharing is here to stay, period, adapt your business model or gtfo.

• Nov 7th, 2012 @ 9:57am

or all the despicable Russians learning English as a second language, how dare they take legitimate work from the Russian-English Book Publishing Translation Industry by supplying a service that is needed, at a cost NOT inflated beyond logic, depraving Book Publishers their 3rd or 4th Mercedes!

More comments from surfer >>