OldGeezer’s Techdirt Profile

oldgeezer

About OldGeezer

OldGeezer’s Comments comment rss

• Jan 29th, 2016 @ 2:52am

(untitled comment)

I can't remember what movie it was in but Chris Rock was playing a cop and when giving Miranda to a guy he was arresting he said "You have the right to be represented by some of the dumbest fucking lawyers on the planet". If you are broke you certainly won't get the O.J. dream team!

• Jan 28th, 2016 @ 1:23am

(untitled comment)

In the days before cable ready TV's and VCR's Cablevision provided one box with their service. If you wanted cable in more than one room they charged monthly for each additional box. They also charged an installation fee for a splitter and coax that you could get from Radio Shack for just a few buck and do it yourself. There was also a monthly charge for this. There were ways around this. You could buy a block converter that changed channels 14 up to UHF. Some cable companies used a box that had a chip to block or allow premuim channels. You could order the chip or a box with it already installed. The drawback was that you had to disconnect and hide all this if you had to have a service call. The cable companies tried to block manufacturers from making cable ready VCR's. The early ones were expensive. Over $500 in 80's dollars.

• Jan 27th, 2016 @ 12:43am

(untitled comment)

People will accept advertising that is done cleverly. Some of the funniest moments ever in television have been advertisements. I grew up in the time when great comedians like Alan Sherman were producing ads. Smart companies produce hilarious ads and they go viral on YouTube. I could care less about sports but I sometimes have recorded the Super Bowl to scan through the boring game to see the debut of the best new ads of the year.

There are acceptable ads on the internet. I went to a site recently and at the top of the page was a request to turn off ad block and click on a few ads to help them with their server costs. I gave it a try and all the ads were in a column down the right side of the page. Any videos were muted unless you clicked to turn up the audio. No popups, no redirects, no malware crap telling me to upgrade flash player or warnings that my computer is infected with a dangerous virus. Just unobtrusive ads for legitimate products. If all sites were like this one we wouldn't need AdBlock.

• Jan 21st, 2016 @ 10:36am

Lets Streisand effect the shit out of this!

I just posted this on Facebook. Let the asshole try to sue me! I hope all of you will do the same. Just in the few minutes it took me to post it the video it got almost 100 more views. Lets make that millions!

• Jan 16th, 2016 @ 6:13am

(untitled comment)

So what if I wanted to post the famous statue of David by Michelangelo genitals and all? Would Facebook censor that?

• Dec 28th, 2015 @ 12:01pm

(untitled comment)

I can't remember who, but a comedian said there is only one rap song ever written and every rapper just keeps changing the words. I suppose if one of them used another's actual track for one of their crappy songs there might be some merit for a suit but to sue over a similar beat is ridiculous.

• Dec 2nd, 2015 @ 4:56am

Re: Re: Judge Judy

I also knew that. This cop did not want any money. When this little bitch filed a false complaint it went into his folder and whenever he was being considered for any promotion it would bee seen whether there was any truth to it or not. In a competitive situation it could mean the difference of being passed over for a limited number of slots. The girl was legally obligated to write the apology. She should have already been charged with making a false report. Even if there was no possibility of any criminal charges she could face a civil action where she would probably lose. Then she could be held in contempt of a real court if she did not comply.

• Nov 30th, 2015 @ 9:57pm

I didn't understand a word but I turned down the sound and played it several times. If you just keep playing the same video in too short of a time YouTube will flag it. I just now checked and he has close to a million hits. What did they think would happen once this story went viral? They really screwed up in not disabling the comments. I wonder if the way this backfired if they aren't going to try to fuck over this kid.

• Nov 30th, 2015 @ 9:45pm

I sometimes spend over $100 a month on iTunes. There is a very easy way to strip the DRM so I can play it on VLC player instead of their crappy Quick Time. I do not upload the files but I do share them with my son which is permitted by their policy. He is using Linux and is not going to install iTunes. I have disabled all the cloud functions and other things that were hogging a huge amount of resources and bandwidth. I wouldn't give them a dime if I was stuck with their damned DRM. I am a paying customer and it is my right to play what I buy any way I want for personnel use. Defeating any copy protection is against the law but why should they care as long as I am not uploading it?

• Nov 30th, 2015 @ 9:22pm

Judge Judy

There is a case that was on one of Judge Judy's classic collection where a recording completely exonerated a cop. This spoiled little brat thought she could get out of a ticket because her dad was a cop. She made all kinds of false accusations that the cop acted inappropriately. She got to speak first and really played the victim. When it was the cop's turn he simply said that he had a recording of the entire stop. The girl nearly pissed herself. She had called her dad on her cell phone and wanted the cop to talk to him. He was very polite and simply told her that he didn't want to take the call. Even though the girl got very loud and abusive he remained calm and gave her the ticket. The only reason he took her to court was that he wanted a letter of apology so he could get the report removed from his folder. When Judy asked him what he would do with any award he told her he would donate it to charity. She gave him the maximum $5,000. She told the girl to write the letter but she would read it first to make sure that it was proper. She also chewed her ass royally.

I know you will say this is just a TV show but all parties sign documents that make her decision legally binding. Judy was a real judge for many years. I wish there were more judges like her.

• Nov 17th, 2015 @ 2:13pm

Kansas Drug Tax

In the state of Kansas drug dealers are required to pay a tax and affix a stamp on it. The purchase is anonymous. This does not mean pot is in any way legal here. It only means if you are busted and have not paid this tax they will pile tax evasion charges in addition to dealing. Knowing the IRS you would probably get more prison time for the tax. The IRS took down Al Capone when he was too smart to get convicted for all the mob crimes he was responsible for. Here is the link on the official Kansas government site:

In Kansas possession of anything less than an ounce is a misdemeanor. On a first offense and no one does any jail time for it. They put you on probation and require you to complete drug rehab and get tested weekly at your own expense. This is only if the ounce is in one bag. If it split into smaller amounts they can charge you with dealing.

• Nov 17th, 2015 @ 11:13am

(untitled comment)

Sounds like the final episode of the series "Weeds". It jumped ahead several years and the family had become wealthy when pot became legal and they had previously filed some patent or trademark on their strain of weed.

• Nov 10th, 2015 @ 12:54am

(untitled comment)

At least give this school credit for changing a name that offended native Americans. Why they would want to draw more attention to a term they had the decency to drop again is beyond me. Their name is nowhere as offensive as the Washington Redskins and despite overwhelming public sentiment they tenaciously hold on to that racist name.

• Nov 6th, 2015 @ 3:37pm

(untitled comment)

A lot of the time these dumb asses can't even get it right. If you answer you hear a few seconds of silence and then a disconnect signal.

• Nov 6th, 2015 @ 3:31pm

In my state of Kansas the only legal use for robo dialers is for political campaigns. Around election time I might get 2 or 3 calls at the most. Rachael, Medicare back brace scam, claiming you won a free trip or some other prize to get personal info etc. are all against the law.

• Nov 6th, 2015 @ 3:20pm

Re: ... and then what?

Just like before when Google eliminated snipets altogether they cried foul when their web traffic fell drastically. Seven words, really? Go ahead Google. Give them what they want. Just because Google makes money sending people to your web site so YOU can get ad revenue you think Google owes you? The old expression "cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind.

• Nov 6th, 2015 @ 7:09am

(untitled comment)

The do not call list is a joke and the government will never do much to stop these robo callers. I bought a Panasonic phone that can block up to 250 numbers. It can also block any unidentified callers. It won't stop all of these annoying calls but it will hang up on repeat offenders. Some callers have called back more than a dozen times. I only have 3 relatives that might call me long distance so I usually don't even answer. A good site to check out numbers out is http://800notes.com/ I'm retired so I sleep odd hours. Unless I'm expecting a call I turn the ringer off. I have a strobe flasher for when I am awake.

• Nov 4th, 2015 @ 7:37pm

The only time I got jury duty I handed the notice to my bosses secretary and she asked "do you want to get out of it?" They called in and told them we were too far behind schedule to spare me which was actually true. I worked at Boeing and at that time we had so many orders we were delivering planes as much as 2 months late.

• Nov 4th, 2015 @ 7:53am

"Your honor, I would make a good juror. I know a guilty man when I see one!"

• Nov 4th, 2015 @ 7:17am

(untitled comment)

Now I know how to get out of jury duty!

More comments from OldGeezer >>