OldGeezer’s Techdirt Profile

oldgeezer

About OldGeezer

OldGeezer’s Comments comment rss

• Apr 28th, 2016 @ 1:32pm

Like the one where the lawyer says "I have good news and bad news" The guy says "give the bad news first". He replies "You are being charged with first degree and if they find you guilty you could get the death penalty". "How could there be any good news?" "You are being tried in California".

California death row inmates have a far greater chance of dying of natural causes than the needle.

• Apr 28th, 2016 @ 12:29pm

(untitled comment)

People can remember him as a musical genius if they want to but despite his talent I will always think of him as a dick. The take down of the dancing baby video cinched it for me. Michael Jackson was also a gifted performer. People forget that he was a kiddie diddler. Not guilty? Yeah right, so was O.J.

• Apr 13th, 2016 @ 1:51pm

My Sweet Lord

It still astounds me that George Harrison lost the lawsuit that claimed he copied "He's So Fine". It was shown at the trial that there was more similarities than just the chord pattern. The judge even stated that he believed it was not intentional.

I played in cover bands as a kid and have made a few attempts at writing. Every time I thought that I had something original I would realize that it was too close to a song I already knew. Music gets ingrained int your subconscious. Songs can pop into your head without even thinking about it.

What if someone could claim copyright every variation of circle of fifths chords and sued every artist that used them?

• Apr 4th, 2016 @ 6:47pm

Malware

That second link has the phony message to update flash player to see a video. I went to the Adobe site and installed the latest version and still got that message. A friend of mine borrowed my laptop and clicked on a link like that and installed ransomware. I had just made a clone the day before so I just swapped out the disk. This may be that bad but you should NEVER click to update anything except from the official site. the link for this is:

08 30a-04 15p

The link to update flash is:

Unfortunately some legitimate sites are careless about what ads the use.

• Mar 30th, 2016 @ 11:26pm

(untitled comment)

An example of how wrong content ID can be: A guy running for mayor in a small town asked a friend to make a campaign ad for him. The result was hilarious and went viral. The Tonight show with Jay Leno had a regular feature where they would air funny YouTube videos. They showed the ad without even notifying him. When a friend told him about it he thought that was great until he got a DMCA notice from NBC. They used HIS video without permission but he got the takedown.

• Mar 28th, 2016 @ 4:55pm

W.C. Fields: "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!"

• Mar 28th, 2016 @ 4:42pm

You Know

You know, I thought, you know, that this constant, you know, inserting you know into, you know, like every sentence went out like in the 70's! (you know)

• Mar 28th, 2016 @ 4:35pm

He makes George W. look like a Rhodes scholar!

• Mar 24th, 2016 @ 5:34pm

I don't think you watched the videos. It's not bashing when you are telling the truth even if John does it in a humorous format. Trump is lying about paying the costs of his campaign. He is channeling millions as "loans" which he can recoup from donations any time before he becomes the official candidate. He is lying about his success as a businessman. Many of his projects failed or never got built and his investors lost millions. He does not own many of the buildings that have his name on them. He is licensing his name as a trademark. He started a real estate company just before one of the biggest bubble bursts in history. He is a fraud and when he speaks he rambles like someone in a manic state. Hopefully at some point his party will recognize that millions of people view him as a bad joke. Comedians are praying that he wins for the enormous amount of material his buffoonery will provide.

• Mar 24th, 2016 @ 1:11am

If you want to hear a lot of conflicting statements just listen to Trump himself. Some good examples:
    I challenge you to watch them but you probably won't. John has an easy time with the jokes about him. A lot of the time all he has to do play a series of clips where Trump makes the same statements several times and in each one he contradicts himself. Don't reply to this unless you watch them.

• Mar 23rd, 2016 @ 10:33am

(untitled comment)

Early in presidential campaigns candidates somehow implode by some scandal or saying something really stupid and lose support. Trump has a pretty checkered past and is a proven constant liar. Every time he opens his mouth he says something stupid. His supporters still view him as some genius businessman. The truth is his net worth is probably little more than he inherited. He has earned billions and then turned around and lost them. Ross Perot was a genius businessman who I thought had some pretty good ideas. Donald Drumpf is a fraud and an idiot. Nothing he does seems to faze his backers. He could probably get caught sending dick pics to a teenager and still win primaries.

• Mar 22nd, 2016 @ 10:50pm

Re: Changed My Mind

You could be right. A lot of other conditions could cause rambling and disconnected thought. Bipolar, Asperger's maybe, also treatable. You may be qualified for a leadership position since you recognize your disorder and got help. If he has ever been diagnosed it sure looks he if off his meds! Might be an asset for a nutty reality show host but not for the leader of our nation.

• Mar 22nd, 2016 @ 5:40pm

That's about he is qualified for. He is like a bad caricature of himself. America needs to tell him "You're fired!"

• Mar 22nd, 2016 @ 12:45pm

More ignorant than George W.?

To think I used to be embarrassed for my country when I heard the stupid things that Bush said! Compared to this dunce he was a genius. Do you really want this clown to ever have access to the launch codes? The other option is Hillary? I think it is time to get a passport and deciding what country I will emigrate to. Dear God, please let there be some dark horse candidate arise who is qualified to be our leader!

• Mar 11th, 2016 @ 5:38pm

(untitled comment)

I use AdBlock so I rarely see ads on any sites I use. I also have Ghostery and several opt out tracking extensions. I was using DoNotTrackMe but they changed hands and there was some sketchy behavior like wanting to store credit card numbers. When I go on Amazon the items "suggested for you" are often related to purchases I recently made on other web sites. I don't want to delete all cookies because I lose the automatic login on frequently used sites. I know this is really no big deal but it still pisses me off that there seems to be no way to get rid of all tracking.

• Mar 5th, 2016 @ 5:58pm

I am disappointed that prolific troll like you couldn't manage a better comeback than that. Oh, ouch!

• Mar 5th, 2016 @ 11:59am

Eyewitness testimony has been proven to be very unreliable and many innocent people have spent years in prison on that being the entire case against them before new evidence clears them.

It is rare that police artist drawings from witnesses end up looking anything like the criminal. I remember laughing while watching an episode of Forensic Files that a drawing police actually released looked a lot like Elmer Fudd from the Bugs Bunny cartoons.

If you were to ask me to describe the check out clerk that I chatted with for several minutes while he rang up my groceries just a couple hours ago I couldn't give you much. He was white, maybe mid 40's and about my height. I don't think I could pick him out of a line up.

• Mar 4th, 2016 @ 1:07pm

(untitled comment)

I have seen many times CNN and other news channels have broken for live breaking coverage. If the story is big enough regular networks will follow. All you will hear is one small scrap of what they think maybe, remotely, might have happened. They keep repeating this following "If you are just joining us". Other than this one unconfirmed tidbit all they can do is go on endlessly about what they DON'T know. They show blurry, shaky telephoto clips in an continuous loop and keep trying to guess what they are seeing because no reporters can get within a mile until law enforcement has cleared the scene. They relay unsubstantiated and often contradicting rumors. They could go on with regular broadcasting and just condense it into brief updates until they actually have the facts. They should admit when nothing is confirmed and they really don't know for sure what the fuck happened. Don't believe anything until a press conference is called. That's when you find out that nearly everything you have heard for hours is completely wrong.

• Feb 13th, 2016 @ 9:13am

Re: Just for the record.

I have yet to find anywhere that Google maps does not cover not only the street names but also street view. I couldn't remember exactly how to get to a friend's house who lives about 12 miles outside the city limit. Except for the highway there probably isn't a paved road within 5 miles of his house. With street view I was able to click my way down the dirt roads and when I got to his house I could turn 90 degrees looking up his driveway and read his address by the door. It seems the Google car covers even very rural roads for a huge distance from me. You may be right that StreetMap is better but I have had no reason yet to try it. If they can offer a better service they can compete without having to sue.

• Feb 12th, 2016 @ 7:07pm

(untitled comment)

There used to be several chain grocery stores where I live. When Walmart arrived one by one they shut down. Dillions is the only one left. I don't like Walmart's tactics but when I can go to one location and buy groceries, a vacuum cleaner and an oil filter for my car and get the lowest prices, that is where I will shop. It is just how the market place works. Walmart is big enough to pressure manufacturers on the prices they charge. If American companies don't meet their demands they open factories in China.

In the ocean big fish swallow the smaller fish. Same thing on the internet. When I need to drive somewhere unfamiliar I can bring up Google maps and it will show me the different routes I can can take. I can bring up street view and find landmarks on the way to look for. It is unlikely, but if some other service finds a way to do this better than Google I will switch.

Google started out small when entered the market years ago when many similar services had already been long been established. Instead of bitching about the competition they came up with ways to do things better. In the beginning I used that piece of crap Explorer. If any browser had an unfair advantage they were it. Firefox arrived and continually improved their product. All Explorer could do was poorly imitate them and steal their features in the way Microsoft has done with everything from the days of DOS.

More comments from OldGeezer >>