OldGeezer’s Techdirt Profile

oldgeezer

About OldGeezer

OldGeezer’s Comments comment rss

• Jul 1st, 2016 @ 9:18pm

Re: Nexr

I would gladly go to Linux if several important programs I use would not be lost. A few of them offer a Linux version but many of those require you you to pay for them again. My son hates Microsoft with a passion but he still keeps a Windows on a virtual machine to run programs that he can't on Linux.

• Jun 30th, 2016 @ 8:01pm

Re: Reddit on removing Microsoft telemetry from Win7 and Win8

I don't trust Microsoft not to sneak something in under the guise of a security update but for now the info on this page is your best hope of limiting them. I am just waiting for there to be some Snowden type leak that Windows 10 is a complete government plot. As bad as what we already know is, I suspect that it may be much worse. Too many people will love the idea that they can voice command their computer to care that their microphone is always on. If they follow the "recommended" settings they will sign on to their computer through a live account which means Microsoft has your password and full administrative privileges. It won't matter if you encrypt files, they can still see them. On installation you have to jump through hoops to use a local account. Unless you happen to not notice a very small button you will also find out your Firefox or Chrome is changed to their new version of Explorer and your search engine will be Bing. Other file associations will be changed to their products and they make it difficult to change them back. They will think that it is really neat that Windows will remind you of something you need to pick up at the grocery store. This means that Microsoft (and probably the government) knows where you are at all times. I laughed when I got an email warning that time for the free update is running out and then it will cost $119. As much as they have been trying to force 10 on us there will never be a time they will not want everybody using it. A friend of mine has a laptop that every time he boots up he has to wait out a partial installation and only after he declines the TOS will it let him load 8.1. He never reserved a copy or clicked anything to OK this. All he did was leave automatic updates on. I tried to warn him to install the GWX Control Panel but it is probably too late for that now.

• Jun 30th, 2016 @ 2:07pm

The only way to be sure is to first install the GWX Control Panel app. It deletes most of the Windows 10 folders but I found there were a few left including some .exe files. Windows would not let you delete them even if you went into the properties and change permissions. I used a program called Unlocker I installed years ago and got rid of them. Unfortunately the new version this program contains adware that Defender flags as a Trojan. My suggestion is to boot up on a flash drive with Linux. Do a search for anything containing gwx in the folder name and delete them. Change your update settings to check for updates but let me choose whether to download or install them. Before you update click on more information for anything that doesn't say it is a security update and hide anything related in any way to the upgrade. Windows will keep trying to put them back especially that damned Get Windows 10 nagware. To get rid of the 10 spyware they are trying add to 7 and 8 I suggest this site:

• Jun 29th, 2016 @ 10:02pm

Because Windows 10 IS freaking malware!

• Jun 29th, 2016 @ 11:54am

Ready for the tin foil hat with me, anyone?

Am I the only one to wonder if the government is involved in this? What if Microsoft is under some super secret mandate to push out this ultimate spyware so the NSA can search anyone's computer any time? And it would not just be targeting suspects or even just brown people. We know their history of "collect it all" They are building that massive new data center. Do you think they need all that for just metadata? You can store metadata on tens of thousands of people in just a few gigs. The terms of service on 10 say they can search through all your files and turn you in if they choose. What if the copyright moguls get involved. They could claim that someone has too many music files or TV episodes to have purchased them and the next thing you know they are kicking down your door. What if the 13 "privacy" screens are just an empty facade and everything still stays turned on including your microphone and webcam? That would be the NSA's wet dream to have access to all that! Microsoft will not wait as long as they did with XP to end support for 7 & 8. Software companies could be pushed to issue updates or new versions that make them incompatible unless you update. I still have an old XP laptop that will not let me install most programs out now. I keep it because I lost several programs I still use when I went to 7. Microsoft could push hard to make 7 & 8 just as obsolete to smoke out the holdouts. They REALLY want everyone on 10. Let's just hope it is for all the revenue they hope to gain and not something more nefarious!

• Jun 29th, 2016 @ 5:02am

8 had a few annoying things that could be easily fixed with 3rd party programs like the classic shell. You can even put back your favorite gadgets they eliminated. I am perfectly happy with 8.1 and have no plans to upgrade. I keep hiding the Get Windows 10 app and they have put it back at least 10 times. I check every update. They keep trying to put 10 spyware into 7 & 8 so you have to watch for that.

• Jun 29th, 2016 @ 4:49am

Freee offer ends July 29?

After all this time of trying to shove 10 down our throats they actually had the balls to send me an email warning that I only had until July 29 and then they will charge me $119 for it. BULLSHIT!! There will never be a time they won't want you to install a system that millions will click the "recommended" settings that will hijack your browser, search engine and file associations to their products and steal billions in ad revenue from all the other companies. They will pretend to end the free time period and in a few months offer an extended free offer so the rest of the lemmings will follow and upgrade. The install makes it look you do not have the choice to make a local account. They want you to sign on from them. This gives them your password and full administrative rights to your system. The terms of service gives them the right to go through all your files and even turn you in to law enforcement if they choose. You can go through the 13 "privacy" screens and turn everything off but they will still track everything you do. I will never install 10 until there is a trusted third party program that turns off automatic updates guarantees to block everything except the minimum they need to keep your system running. I have a friend that EVERY TIME he reboots it spends several minutes doing part of the install and only when he clicks no to the EULA it will let him boot into 8. I have a program that let me delete every gwx folder and files that Microsoft won't let you. The GWX control panel is a good program but it doesn't delete everything. You will still have several folders including 6 exe files.

• Apr 29th, 2016 @ 9:45am

There are still many other GWX registry folders and keys. I did a search and got rid on nearly all of them.

• Apr 29th, 2016 @ 9:39am

Re: When it's no longer free

There will NEVER be a time that Microsoft doesn't want you to install 10. They might pretend that your free chance has expired for a while and then later that they are generously giving you another chance so more lemmings will jump off the cliff.

• Apr 29th, 2016 @ 9:34am

Re: Block a few updates, that's it

I always click the info on any update to see if it is 10 related. I also ran a batch file in CMD that checks for and uninstalls any you might have missed. I checked all the ones you listed and I guess I already got them. It pisses me off the way they keep putting KB3035583 back in after you hide it.

• Apr 28th, 2016 @ 1:32pm

Like the one where the lawyer says "I have good news and bad news" The guy says "give the bad news first". He replies "You are being charged with first degree and if they find you guilty you could get the death penalty". "How could there be any good news?" "You are being tried in California".

California death row inmates have a far greater chance of dying of natural causes than the needle.

• Apr 28th, 2016 @ 12:29pm

(untitled comment)

People can remember him as a musical genius if they want to but despite his talent I will always think of him as a dick. The take down of the dancing baby video cinched it for me. Michael Jackson was also a gifted performer. People forget that he was a kiddie diddler. Not guilty? Yeah right, so was O.J.

• Apr 13th, 2016 @ 1:51pm

My Sweet Lord

It still astounds me that George Harrison lost the lawsuit that claimed he copied "He's So Fine". It was shown at the trial that there was more similarities than just the chord pattern. The judge even stated that he believed it was not intentional.

I played in cover bands as a kid and have made a few attempts at writing. Every time I thought that I had something original I would realize that it was too close to a song I already knew. Music gets ingrained int your subconscious. Songs can pop into your head without even thinking about it.

What if someone could claim copyright every variation of circle of fifths chords and sued every artist that used them?

• Apr 4th, 2016 @ 6:47pm

Malware

That second link has the phony message to update flash player to see a video. I went to the Adobe site and installed the latest version and still got that message. A friend of mine borrowed my laptop and clicked on a link like that and installed ransomware. I had just made a clone the day before so I just swapped out the disk. This may be that bad but you should NEVER click to update anything except from the official site. the link for this is:

08 30a-04 15p

The link to update flash is:

Unfortunately some legitimate sites are careless about what ads the use.

• Mar 30th, 2016 @ 11:26pm

(untitled comment)

An example of how wrong content ID can be: A guy running for mayor in a small town asked a friend to make a campaign ad for him. The result was hilarious and went viral. The Tonight show with Jay Leno had a regular feature where they would air funny YouTube videos. They showed the ad without even notifying him. When a friend told him about it he thought that was great until he got a DMCA notice from NBC. They used HIS video without permission but he got the takedown.

• Mar 28th, 2016 @ 4:55pm

W.C. Fields: "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!"

• Mar 28th, 2016 @ 4:42pm

You Know

You know, I thought, you know, that this constant, you know, inserting you know into, you know, like every sentence went out like in the 70's! (you know)

• Mar 28th, 2016 @ 4:35pm

He makes George W. look like a Rhodes scholar!

• Mar 24th, 2016 @ 5:34pm

I don't think you watched the videos. It's not bashing when you are telling the truth even if John does it in a humorous format. Trump is lying about paying the costs of his campaign. He is channeling millions as "loans" which he can recoup from donations any time before he becomes the official candidate. He is lying about his success as a businessman. Many of his projects failed or never got built and his investors lost millions. He does not own many of the buildings that have his name on them. He is licensing his name as a trademark. He started a real estate company just before one of the biggest bubble bursts in history. He is a fraud and when he speaks he rambles like someone in a manic state. Hopefully at some point his party will recognize that millions of people view him as a bad joke. Comedians are praying that he wins for the enormous amount of material his buffoonery will provide.

• Mar 24th, 2016 @ 1:11am

If you want to hear a lot of conflicting statements just listen to Trump himself. Some good examples:
    I challenge you to watch them but you probably won't. John has an easy time with the jokes about him. A lot of the time all he has to do play a series of clips where Trump makes the same statements several times and in each one he contradicts himself. Don't reply to this unless you watch them.

More comments from OldGeezer >>