Ninja’s Techdirt Profile

About Ninja

Not as politically engaged as I would like. I'm quite glad the Internet provided me with forms of activism and political participation while allowing me to develop my daily activities. I do believe we are going through convoluted times but I see light in the end. Other than that I'm a technology enthusiast and I'd love to spend much more money trying new stuff!

Ninja’s Comments comment rss

• Oct 8th, 2015 @ 9:37am

Re: Re: Advertising supported radio and television has always been on verge of collapse.

Like the prior "Copia" article, you're taking credit for the success of copyright industries in defending their content to mean that piracy can be unlimited yet production of content will go on.

You lack fundamental reading comprehension. Severely. It shows with supporting data and evidence that anti-piracy efforts had very limited reach. The availability of legal, affordable and easy-to-use services did tackle piracy by a large margin.

Actually, piracy has been limited -- higher than wanted, sure, but limited.

Actually no. You only see the tip of the iceberg in the data. Taking me as an example, I often download tons of stuff my friends, relatives ask me. The offline trade is much bigger than your petty industry can even imagine. And you can do absolutely nothing about it. Which is why said legal, affordable and easy to use services are so important, they tacke even that offline piracy.

Actually, it's totally relevant, makes content possible in first place.

No. It's been proven that content does not need copyright to be created and, in fact, copyright may be actually a burden that prevents creation. The internet enabled creation of awesome content. Youtube, Kickstarter, online distribution systems along with more affordable technology is what enables more output, not copyright. The great majority of new stuff I see nowadays is there DESPITE copyright.

• Oct 8th, 2015 @ 9:30am

But I don't see Netflix -- or any other direct paying -- working, either, when piracy isn't suppressed. Already, anyone can rip Netflix content and pass it on to unlimited others.

Go see a doctor then. Content was always easily available and Netflix slashed piracy. And they recognize their competition in that front. But there is another competitor that will cause much more damage than piracy ever will: the MAFIAA itself with its greed charging unreasonable rates for their content. Which is why Netflix decided to start producing their own stuff. The only err Netflix is making here is that they are not making said content available for other platforms as well.

If that's let become the norm, then it can't possibly work.

It is the norm for years now. And it's still working. Because piracy also act as an enabler and free advertising.

Therefore, one must conclude that copyright is the practical system for ensuring supply of content, and is more important now that gadgets make copying easier than ever.

Water extinguished the fire. Therefore one must conclude that throwing gasoline in the fire is the best way to extinguish it. (At least this conclusion seems more reasonable than yours)

• Oct 8th, 2015 @ 9:23am

Re: Genius move

People will never, ever, skip the entire show because they discover the thing is a huge infomercial, right?

TV Execs: YEEEESSSS!! *excited applause*

Meanwhile the cash cow dies faster.

• Oct 8th, 2015 @ 9:18am

Re: Simple

That. I don't call them the MAFIAA for nothing ;)

• Oct 8th, 2015 @ 7:24am

Legacy players smoke evidence to get high for breakfast. Hence the apparent inability of seeing facts right in front of their noses.

• Oct 8th, 2015 @ 7:22am

Re: Since when is requiring people to pay a pittance for goods a "stick"? That's basic free market.

You were fast in twisting the facts to your delusional world eh?

Read the article again, sloooooowly. It says pretty clearly (unless you can't understand English and it seems you can't) that when services started offering stuff people want for an affordable price and in an easy interface they decided to pay for those services even though they could still have everything for free.

So, dear mentally handicapped troll, these services are CLEARLY competing with free. But you won't let the FACTS get to you, right, right?

• Oct 8th, 2015 @ 7:18am

(untitled comment)

I have yet to read it but the things pointed out in this article about the results are nothing we don't know by heart now, unless you are in the entertainment industry payroll of course. Nobody is asking for the impossible from the MAFIAA, we are just asking easy access for affordable prices. I'm willing to bet that the only stuff that are pirated a lot today are exactly the stuff the MAFIAA stubbornly decided to restrict access through available services in Sweden. History says I'd be right.

• Oct 8th, 2015 @ 6:47am

(untitled comment)

Quick, heads in the sand, these documents will become secret again if we stick it deep enough! After all what the eyes don't see the heart doesn't feel, eh?

• Oct 8th, 2015 @ 6:38am

(untitled comment)

Not Night Train Porter. NNTP for a techie touch.

• Oct 8th, 2015 @ 6:34am

(untitled comment)

Vaccines work generally but I personally have serious doubts about these flu ones. First because they usually fail to tackle newer virus strains and second because they generate powerful collateral symptoms that are way too common (I've become very sick twice now). Of course many things could be done to improve them such as increasing development speed (as one of the bullets point out in the article) and developing them locally. An American vaccine developed for American conditions will not work that well in Australia for instance.

• Oct 8th, 2015 @ 5:48am

I'm already screwed without my extended circles lmao

• Oct 7th, 2015 @ 8:48am

(untitled comment)

As disturbing this is, the truly horrific aspect of the "citizen score" is that it can be influenced by friends and family members.

Remember in North Korea the whole family of someone the government doesn't like gets screwed. You know, bad genetics or something. It is amusing that a big chunk of the world condemns North Korea e Co but can't stop doing business with China who does basically the same thing but glosses it with tight media control and a whole load of money. I would guess that the average Pyongyang citizen also doesn't see any problem there and actually likes the government. Propaganda does wonders, the West knows it well.

• Oct 7th, 2015 @ 7:17am

That. Copyright terms stopped being reasonable when they became infinite. Thus it's only natural people ceased to respect it regularly.

• Oct 7th, 2015 @ 7:13am

Other than https as suggested above (since we still need to surf unencrypted sites).

• Oct 7th, 2015 @ 7:10am

(untitled comment)

Question: considering other isps may be doing it but haven't been caught yet, how can you counter such cookies?

• Oct 7th, 2015 @ 7:08am

(untitled comment)

And, now, the same Senators in Congress who demanded the fast track authority be granted, which ties their own arms behind their backs in terms of changing the agreement, are threatening to force this change, even though they've already given up the power to do so.

sweet. I hope it moves forward in the face of the idiots that decided to give up their own power and passes with all the bad, effectively causing economic damage to the US as well. Maybe this will make the idiots in power think twice before building secret trade deals that benefit the biggest buyers.

• Oct 7th, 2015 @ 3:58am

Re: Re: Re: iFixit is in the wrong

It is clear ifixit violated the contract and Apple is not wrong in punishing them, technically.

Substitute iFixit for any other random developer account and the same result would be seen.

Precisely, it's about Apple, not ifixit.

As you fanatics are so keen to point out to the trolls, your parallel with how Apple started out is nothing but an incredibly weak straw man designed to distract from the real (non) story.

Hmmm, the real story is about Apple and the hypocrisy it displayed. I've disagreed with TD stories before but this one is not one of these times. From the beginning it was clear to me that the story was about Apple. Maybe the author could make it clear that there was a breach in the contract and Apple is in its right to take said actions but this is not the focus of the article.

I already regret getting sucked into this nonsense story.

You are free to ignore it as I've already done with many stuff but yet you are exposing your point and I'm disagreeing. Masochism?

• Oct 6th, 2015 @ 11:13am

Re: iFixit is in the wrong

And I disagree with you all. Let me bring the last paragraph:

Given that Apple's earliest roots come from Steve Wozniak hacking around devices and building something better, it seems like a real shame that Apple is not only not supporting such activities with its own equipment, but it's actively punishing those who do so.

Nowhere in the article they are saying it's ok to break a contract or something but rather they are criticizing the company for blocking activity that actually gave birth to it. It's not painting ifixit as the victim but rather Apple as a complete hypocrite with an assholish icing.

• Oct 6th, 2015 @ 11:09am

That's cannibalism!

• Oct 6th, 2015 @ 11:00am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "There's a way to fix this mess and it's to stop mass surveillance" -- WHETHER BY GOVERNMENTS OR CORPORATIONS.

You can still opt out once it's revealed that the corporation is spying on you and you can take steps to educate people not to use Windows 10 for instance or at least use proper encryption. You CANNOT opt out from government surveillance even when it is revealed.

More comments from Ninja >>