Ninja’s Techdirt Profile

ninja

About NinjaTechdirt Insider

Not as politically engaged as I would like. I'm quite glad the Internet provided me with forms of activism and political participation while allowing me to develop my daily activities. I do believe we are going through convoluted times but I see light in the end. Other than that I'm a technology enthusiast and I'd love to spend much more money trying new stuff!

Ninja’s Comments comment rss

• May 5th, 2015 @ 12:17pm

(untitled comment)

It's impossible to know what would have happened had Twitter taken a different path.

Is it really? I like to compare this to a game that allows mods and a game that doesn't. IT's very clear that the ones that allow free modding have much longer shelf lives even becoming classics (see Doom). So I'd say that Twitter would be much more valuable today and there would be things based on it but entirely different. Would it be alive and kicking? I don't know, it would depend on their capacity to absorb and expand what people build upon them.

• May 5th, 2015 @ 12:09pm

Maybe a small time in jail yes but the punishment has to fit the crime. You can't lump them with more violent criminals so some jail time, community service and financial compensation for the victims should suffice. It would be the same as awarding thousands of dollars for a single song against a student. I think we are better than that, no?

• May 5th, 2015 @ 11:59am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ouch.

I knew it would be entertaining and enlightening to some extent. I had forgotten about that discussion already!

See, AJ is both entertainment and culture. Though truth be said he sparks culture from other, wiser people that tear his nonsense in the comments.

• May 5th, 2015 @ 11:55am

Re: Re: Ouch.

I'll let you have that pleasure. By all means entertain us.

• May 5th, 2015 @ 11:43am

(untitled comment)

And why stop there? Nearly every website collects information about what we do when we visit. So now, under the majority’s rule, the Fourth Amendment allows the government to know from YouTube.com what we watch, or Facebook.com what we post or whom we “friend,” or Amazon.com what we buy, or Wikipedia.com what we research, or Match.com whom we date—all without a warrant. In fact, the government could ask “cloud”-based file-sharing services like Dropbox or Apple’s iCloud for all the files we relinquish to their servers. I am convinced that most internet users would be shocked by this.

Transfer to the physical world. If you use a 3rd party place to store your personal belongings (while you do maintenance and modifications at home for instance) so you lose any expectation of privacy and your belongings can be searched without a warrant. Park your car in a private owned parking lot? Nailed. Plan your travel with an agency? Nailed. Give your photos to be printed? Nailed. Most people would be shocked if such things happened. But alas we added "on the internet" and logic and reasoning went out the window.

You'd need to be some sort of secluded hermit to be effectively protected by the 4th.

• May 5th, 2015 @ 10:41am

Re: What a collossal waste of money

You see, they threw half a billion dollars collectively and yet they are still in business as if nothing happened. It doesn't take any genius to see that they profit much, much more than they deserve. Title II is too little for them.

• May 5th, 2015 @ 10:36am

(untitled comment)

When you start pitying the bad guys you know they are amazingly screwed.

I know that many of the Prenda watchers among our readers here keep wondering how it is that Team Prenda is not yet in jail.

Shocked, not wondering, I'm shocked.

• May 5th, 2015 @ 7:04am

Ouch.

Nice IP pounding here but as the article itself notes they lack self-awareness to even feel guilty. I love that Bob Marley example. Even if you disagree with Estates living on works of the deceased this is a whole new level of evil. As expected from UMG.

I anxiously wait for the trolls focusing on minor points totally out of context, pulling pseudo-facts out of their arses and so on. Because you can't argue with the article otherwise.

• May 5th, 2015 @ 6:46am

That. A lot of content inside Facebook comes from the outside. While they are trying hard to make people use Facebook only it's bound to fail in the long run. Instead of trying to build a wall and censor stuff Facebook has the opportunity to act as enablers and add value both to themselves and for the rest of the Internet. It's a pity he's choosing the gatekeeper way. Where have we seen that before?

Seems History comes indeed in repeating cycles.

• May 5th, 2015 @ 4:21am

(untitled comment)

“The whole story was about accountability,” he said. “In a story about accountability, how could you not mention the guys who run the program?”

Give him a Pulitzer please. Along with these lines, how can you do real journalism if you keep bowing down to the Government and sucking everything they feed you?

• May 5th, 2015 @ 4:15am

(untitled comment)

Intellectual Property has become so ingrained in the businesses out there (specially the bigger ones) that they simply don't detach an employee to maintain a very simple review process (enter the goddamn site and check what the heck it's about).

IP abuse needs to be punished lest the companies will keep up with such abuses.

• May 5th, 2015 @ 4:11am

(untitled comment)

Hope the company has the funds to fight back as it should be an easy win.

• May 5th, 2015 @ 4:05am

(untitled comment)

If I talk about how to commit a crime am I a criminal? Same question, different realm. Links tell you how to get to something, news sites use them all the time and sometimes they are borderline criminal but are the news sites reporting on the material to be liable?

Start going after the source, not the general service provider.

• May 4th, 2015 @ 9:31am

Re: Re: Re: Re:

That's the thing, we know that some companies keep the data much longer than they should so an official time frame would stop that. When I think data retention I mean putting clear limits both to the Govt and to the private actors mandating the destruction of said data after the deadline imposed. Anything older than that would be automatically tossed out in the court unless it was clearly authorized by a warrant.

• May 4th, 2015 @ 9:28am

Re: Re: "two diametrically-opposed political parties"? Wha?

That's good to hear but it should come as a party not a single person wing. I like the bank breaking and the student debt forgiveness. As for the taxes, equality speaks louder than rising taxes to the rich. Just charge the same from everybody and impose a bigger cut to things inherited above a medium value.

Interesting indeed.

• May 4th, 2015 @ 9:23am

Argentine has its own share of issues but they have very politicized people. Not in a "Republicans vs Democrats" way no. In the US people bicker over petty issues, car brand and size of their moral penises when it comes to politics so nothing remotely serious or needed is actually discussed. And God forbid a political discussion including members of the opposite parties start in a bar. Blood will most likely ensue.

In Argentina from what I've heard from friends that spent time there as tourists and living there you can discuss politics in the bar without it devolving into some mindless swearing show devoid of facts and they actually participate in their political lives (I can tell it seems to be like that in Chile too). For a multi-party system to work the people need to engage AND be civilized. Brazil has a very similar system, we have various parties and yet we are devolving into a "Right vs Pseudo-left" mentality just like the US. Try to discuss politics in the bar here. You'll be labeled boring and largely made fun of. I don't need to go far to show what's the result of this kind of mentality, most people here probably heard of Pasadena.

In any case, truth be said, Argentina has very bad luck with their politicians...

• May 4th, 2015 @ 9:11am

(untitled comment)

...if HBO or Showtime sent this order to Twitter, it could be found to have violated a court order despite not even remotely being a party to the case!

While I do agree that it is absurdly broad, wouldn't Twitter be protected under section 230 since they are not actively advertising they would be hosting the event and everything from said event came from users and may be fair use? If Twitter receives the restraint order what would happen if the users posted stuff anyway?

I mean, it is impossible to prevent everything real time, it is as simple as that so can the judicial or a law request the impossible for a service provider? I'm willing to bet no, they can't.

• May 4th, 2015 @ 7:16am

Re: Technology is not a productive path towards the future.

What in the seven hells have I read here?

Masnick yet again throws in a list of gadgets as if those are responsible for the value of creations, and not the recognition and maintaining of rights over the creation.

Actually he is merely saying that the services and gadgets ADD value to the creation. A creation that's only known by their creator or a select few is useless and will die with time. The great creations from the past of human kind are not known and spread nowadays because they were protected by some pseudo right, they are known because they were copied and made available to everyone.

Viewers as such are not worth anything: only those who PAY are. So far as Twitter now enables destructive infringements of the values that others make, it needs to be suppressed.

And you, sir, should be shot for even thinking such absurd. Good thing there are laws and that I do respect your right to hold a different opinion as imbecile as it is. As if there aren't tons of people making their work available for free all over. If anything needs suppression it's the MAFIAA and friends who actively try to erode people rights and destroy new, useful tools.

But beyond that, so long as people are stupid enough to pay $100 (or even the time) to see two athletic brutes competing at savagery, there's no hope for civilization.

As much as I agree that these events are lame you and I are NOT in the position to judge if something is stupid or not. I smell the small totalitarian tyrant in you. And it sure smells bad.

We're living the dystopian future where gadgets are more dangerous than opiates.

Opiates, derivatives or substances based on them are largely used for medicinal purposes. Sure they CAN be dangerous but it doesn't mean they are. But again, you have the right to yell at the cloud so keep going if it satisfies you.

• May 4th, 2015 @ 6:44am

Re: Re: You Reap What You Sow

Have you thought of setting up torrents with the audio just in case? I mean you can run them from a home computer, when there's a critical mass you can probably plug out and it will fly alone.

Reading this article at every point I thought of a bittorrent like decentralized mechanism. I mean you can already stream via torrent and the speeds are getting higher so you would offload a lot of costs from your servers and most people wouldn't mind. I don't mind giving bandwidth to something I am making use of.

• May 4th, 2015 @ 6:35am

You misunderstand me. I said SOME data retention. Like which IP you were assigned, when you were using it, basic info that's needed to run the network.

If law enforcement needs more than that, they can go to a judge and make a case for obtaining a warrant.

That's it. And do the investigative work, wiretap the target or whatever.

The data I mentioned would be used under such warrants to help build the case. And I think they shouldn't be stored for too long. I think they should be stored for no longer than 5-7 days and kept longer if a judicial order asks for it but always with a clear limit. The time limit can be debated of course, I just took numbers out of my head.

More comments from Ninja >>