Narcissus’s Techdirt Profile

narcissus

About NarcissusTechdirt Insider

Narcissus’s Comments comment rss

• Aug 8th, 2017 @ 12:19am

UL certification

At the moment UL approval is needed for most (all?) electrical products entering the US. It seems to me that they could also play a role in certifying the software of these IoT devices.

Most likely UL would have to set up a new division/department for that, as well as write new standards, but writing standards is what they do. I don't see why it would be a problem to require all devices that connect to the internet to have UL certified software. Certainly for government tenders that would be just a matter of writing it in the specs.

It could slow down innovation a bit because it'll probably take some months to get the approval but seeing the danger here it could be a possible trade-off.

I think it would also be a benefit to have a big knowledge base in one place about how to secure IoT devices. Well meaning companies could use this knowledge to produce safe devices. Yes I know, well meaning companies are rare/unicorns but still...

• May 31st, 2017 @ 2:29am

Re: What is the problem here?

I was already discussing it at work. Obviously if this will become a rule you can't take your laptop on flights anymore because they would be either destroyed or stolen during the flight. Of course as soon as the US adopts it the rest of the world will follow.

Our solution was to just have a stack of laptops ready at international meetings. Once you get to the meeting you take one and log in to your company account.

There might even be a business model there. Get off the plane, go to your LapTopEverywhere counter at the airport and pick up your computer. When you leave the country hand it back in. Bonus points if you can just hand it over to the security guy.

of course it will not make us safer because there will be problems with viruses and information left on the laptop. But hey, that's a small price to pay for FEELING safer.

• Apr 26th, 2017 @ 1:51am

Re: Re: contributions = priority

Trump is already breaking many conventions so the one where the former presidents builds a library will probably also be discontinued.

The Trump Memorial Golf Course though... I can see that happening.

• Apr 25th, 2017 @ 1:28am

What I found funny is somebody that claims Obama created ISIS and still expects we take anything he says seriously.

If you don't like Obama, fine. Is it too much to ask you read a few books about the region that you seem to have an opinion on though?

• Apr 19th, 2017 @ 3:22am

Sorry, can't let this go uncommented...

"The us has the LEAST backward government of others"

If you're saying that the US is a shining beacon of progressiveness when it comes to destroying dangerous toys I might agree since I don't have much of an opinion on that. If this is meant as a general statement meaning that in all things the US is the least backward, then I can only assume you meant it as satire or you have no clue what happens in other countries.

The last 2 or 3 decades the US has been moving backward, not forward. This last government seems intent on speeding things up in that regard.

"but USA is a super power for a reason!" Again, not sure what is the connection to toys but if you are looking for the reason how about spending more on defense than the next 6 countries combined? Would that do it? Is that your definition of being "the least backward"? I thought that our utopian future entailed less wars, not more?

• Apr 11th, 2017 @ 2:35am

Wow... Even though I see where you're coming from your statements are scary.

"If he is innocent he needs only to go ti court and prove it".
    So let's see where this can lead...

Say you have a website that allows other people to sell T-shirts. Obviously your website is accessible everywhere so now your liability has gone worldwide.
    One of your customers makes a nice Erdogan=Gollem T-shirt.

So if I read your statements correct you would be fine with Turkey taking all of your stuff and you would be willing to personally go to court in Turkey to explain that you're innocent of insulting the Mustache in Chief?

You're a braver man than I!

• Apr 11th, 2017 @ 1:00am

Prejudice

I was reading the first paragraphs and caught myself thinking: "I bet Paul Stephens is black." Then I thought, am I not being prejudiced against cops now?

Next: Then it somehow got worse for Stephens. DeGiovanni arrested Stephens and made it clear what he thought of black people. (Or immigrants. Stephens is originally from Jamaica.)

So, maybe prejudiced but it seems the prejudice is there for a reason...

• Mar 31st, 2017 @ 2:57am

Reason to buy?

Perhaps Thunder Beast could release a special limited edition of their beverage and sell it at a high price to add to their defense fund.

I suggest they call it "Beast beats monster!"

• Mar 29th, 2017 @ 8:54am

Going dark?

So, in serving their corporate overlords they managed to increase attention for anonymity tools and encryption. To me it sounds like they made the NSA's job a bit harder.

They also increased the market for good solutions to stay anonymous online so it's a matter of time before somebody finds one.

• Mar 29th, 2017 @ 12:22am

Brand value

Doesn't sound like a good deal for the Dodgers. If nobody watches, their brand value will go down quite a lot. Also all their sponsoring will be worth less.

It's also likely to reduce the number of fans but it's clear they're only considered as a profit center.

• Mar 28th, 2017 @ 5:27am

(untitled comment)

Hi land of the free and home of the brave, commie country here (sometimes colloquially referred to as "Western Europe").

I pay 70 Euros a month and for that I get:
    - Cable TV (most channels HD)
    - I'm allowed to connect 5 TV's using cards directly in the TV, so no set top box (15 Euro one time cost for a card)
    - Additional 5 screens where I can stream all TV channels with an app (tablet or laptop)
    - HBO
    - 300 Mb/s internet (no data caps)
    - Landline for phone (convenient for screening sales calls)

Isn't it time you became a bit more free?

• Mar 28th, 2017 @ 4:41am

Re: We all breathe air

Me personally I'm very much against walls. Who knows what terrorists can hide behind walls.

It's time all walls are made of glass. Next we'll outlaw drapes.

Obviously Big Brick will be against us but think of the children!

• Mar 28th, 2017 @ 2:51am

Helicopters

"Literally, that’s the standard. No helicopters hovering overhead."

I'm confused about this statement. If a helicopter is hovering overhead, I think the conclusion that the police is knocking is more logical since I don't know many criminal gangs that employ helicopter coverage. So then what, they exceeded the knock and talk and you're free to shoot them?

• Mar 23rd, 2017 @ 3:37am

Re: heheheh

Exactly. I buy all my e-books because I enjoy supporting the writer but I make conscious decisions. If a book costs more than 10 $, I'm thinking really hard and will usually not buy unless it's a more business oriented book.
    If the digital copy is more expensive than the physical copy I'm not buying.

It's not a matter of money. I can pay. It's more that you don't want to be ripped off.

• Jan 24th, 2017 @ 3:49am

Progress... I guess

So this is what the world is coming to: Paranoid is now a desirable tier in e-mail communication.

• Sep 9th, 2016 @ 1:12am

Re: You can hear the arm waving from here...

"So if you have a site called "download free hollywood movies" and you provide links to 1000 files of pirated material on someone else's servers, you should still be liable because your website as a whole functions as pirate site."

But that's not what this ruling says. If you don't put ads on the site and make no money of it, you're perfectly fine it seems.

• Sep 9th, 2016 @ 12:49am

Rent hikes are not new are they?

As far as I know rents have always been rising. It's simple economics caused by inflation and the fact that most people want to live in the same places (The old real estate mantra: Location, Location, Location). Living space in New York, for example, will always be desirable and scarce.

It stands to reason that Airbnb is not helping reduce the prices but the economy is growing so it's logical the rent goes up anyway. If you want to point the finger at Airbnb as the main factor you would need to have some really hard data to back that up, especially since their "inventory" is fairly limited.

Look at London. Real estate prices are sky-rocketing because rich oil-sheiks and Russion oligarchs are buying everything that comes on the market at ridiculous prices. That will for sure impact the rental market as well.

Of course it's always nice to point at something to blame but it's rarely that simple.

• Sep 8th, 2016 @ 2:10am

I'm just as much worried about the reverse...

I'm worried about this rhetoric but I'm just as much worried, or possibly more, about what other countries could do with statements like that.

If the US says: "I will make it clear that the United States will treat cyberattacks just like any other attack" what will stop other countries for doing the exact same thing? They'd even be justified doing so.

This remark basically say: Stuxnet is (retroactively) a declaration of war!

Do we want Russia to follow that logic? China or North Korea? I think this would be a very dangerous escalation of day to day activities. I'm sure the CIA (or another agency) is routinely trying to hack whatever country they have on their shitlist and probably most that are not as well.

• Sep 2nd, 2016 @ 1:33am

(untitled comment)

So, what do you think happened first? The University thought that this well-known gesture fit their branding perfectly and they made a conscious effort to get it adapted by their fans OR the fans just started using it organically and the University adapted it in their branding by selling merchandise?

I don't know but I think the 2nd option is more likely. Assuming that is the case they're now violating their fan's trademark gesture.

• Aug 18th, 2016 @ 7:08am

They WANT to be

The say they WANT to be Tesla or Mercedes, so they admit they still have a (long) way to go.

If they said they ARE Mercedes or Tesla I would say that would be good grounds for a libel suite against them from either one of these companies...

More comments from Narcissus >>