Machin Shin’s Techdirt Profile

machinshin

About Machin ShinTechdirt Insider

Machin Shin’s Comments comment rss

• Jun 17th, 2015 @ 4:30pm

(untitled comment)

Is it just me that thinks at least part of this is extremely easy to solve? All police now have mandatory drug test, anyone positive for weed is fired on the spot. At that point you just have one or two more to identify from the video. As an added bonus, who knows how many dirty cops you will find that have other drugs in their system.

• Jun 12th, 2015 @ 7:35am

By that logic America just needs to be cut off from the internet entirely for the stupid stuff our government has been doing.

Sad thing is, as much as I would hate loosing the internet, I almost think it would be a good thing. People here need to wake up and take back control of our government.

• Jun 12th, 2015 @ 7:30am

Our own special brand of idiots? I'm surprised we are not suing other countries for infringing our patent on idiocy.

• May 14th, 2015 @ 11:50am

Re: the Feds are even worse

"Permits cost up to $1,500, says Forest Service spokesman Larry Chambers, and reporters who don't get a permit could face fines up to $1,000."

This is a prime example of why I am loosing faith in the government (or well, pretty much totally lost it actually). A permit cost $1,500 but not having it gives you a $1000 fine? So basically I can save $500 by breaking the law?

• May 8th, 2015 @ 7:51am

Well really, who cares about the legality of flying the drone there? Vandalism is definitely illegal already.

I don't get why this should really become an issue. They know who did it, and they know he is an idiot who loves destroying other peoples property. Arrest him, take him to court, make him pay damages, toss him in jail to cool off for a bit.

• Apr 23rd, 2015 @ 8:48am

(untitled comment)

The one thing they constantly seem to ignore is that if you put a back door in, not matter how complex the key is or how many parts it is in, you have created the 'holy grail' that every hacker in the world is going to try and find.

I don't know about anyone else, but when it is a situation of ______ organization or government VS the world's hacking community, I'm betting on the hackers.... every single time.

• Apr 10th, 2015 @ 1:07pm

If games you can never win are what drive people to violence then violence should have been tailoring off in recent years compared to the days of the NES.

• Mar 6th, 2015 @ 8:43am

Re: Is it legal?

My guess for the question "is it legal for the defense team to crack the password?" would be no, it isn't. They would be bypassing a digital lock after all.

Having said that though, I think it would be legal for them to post copy of the disks online. Then when it happens to get cracked... oh well, they didn't do it.

• Mar 6th, 2015 @ 8:25am

Re: Re: Slip of the tongue?

It becomes pretty much impossible when your cornered and all of your statements are being recorded and reviewed by a large number of people. Welcome to the internet, a place that does not take kindly to someone telling lies to hide wrongdoing.

• Mar 3rd, 2015 @ 12:06pm

Re: Re: Re: Re:

Yes, there are some drawbacks to my suggestion and one of those would be that there would be places that you would have to manually drive.

The question though is where these cars would be the most use. To me the answer would be interstates and in cities. These places tend to have better maintained roads. So sure you have to drive manually in some areas, but if you start with major roads you can move out.

Also, admittedly the lines would have issues of being obscured, but putting lines was just the easiest solution to implement. You could also use in ground wires sending a signal much like how dog underground fences work. There are lots of ideas for ways you could guide a car and ideally your system would use at least two systems that were independent of each other.

I for one also would have a really hard time trusting an automated car to deal well with snow and ice no matter what system you have to drive it.

• Mar 3rd, 2015 @ 11:53am

Re: Re: Re: Re:

They would be if you made these modifications over time as the roadways were getting regular maintenance anyways. The focus being on modifying the interstates.

Imagine just driving onto the interstate hitting a button and kicking back till you get an alarm telling you your exit is coming up. As you get to the exit you take back control and start driving again, if you don't take control the car parks to the side of the exit ramp. This would certainly make long drives much easier wouldn't it?

• Mar 3rd, 2015 @ 9:02am

Yes, that is how self driving cars should be. They need to be self contained and not rely on the internet.

In fact, if the computer that is driving the car is connected to the internet or has any wireless connectivity at all then I want nothing to do with it. System controlling the car should not be remote accessible.

On another side note. I think this whole self driving car thing is a prime example of looking at a problem backwards. Why are we trying to build automated cars to drive on a roadway that has been built entirely focused on giving ques to a human driver? Slight modifications to our road design would make building a self driving car trivial. Making a robot that can follow a line is something they teach in 'Introduction to engineering' classes. A few painted stripes and some new QR code type signs and suddenly building an automated car is a really simple task.

• Mar 3rd, 2015 @ 6:22am

(untitled comment)

"Suri emphasises that self-driving cars need to talk over wireless networks fast enough to make decisions with the split-second timing required on the roads."

If that is the case then I'm never setting foot in a self driven car. He seriously saying we would adopt a standard of self driving car that $20 and a trip to radio shack is enough to gridlock a city rendering all cars in an area useless?

• Jan 28th, 2015 @ 8:26am

What do you think happens when you move that up like your suggesting? When the high school drop out flipping burgers is suddenly making $15 an hour do you still expect to see the dollar menu? If so your delusional.

The cost of labor goes up the businesses raise prices to make up for increased cost to the business, and end result is that the poor are still poor. Sure the number in their bank might be bigger but so what when everything cost more?

Also, Just so you know, I'm not some rich guy sitting happy and just spouting this out. If they raised minimum wage to $15 an hour I would be getting a large bump in pay. Of course I would also find myself making the same pay as a drop out.... even though I have worked hard to get where I am.

• Jan 9th, 2015 @ 1:33pm

(untitled comment)

I just keep reading things about terrorism and find myself wondering. Whatever happened to "Land of the free, home of the BRAVE". Seems neither of these really describe the American population anymore.

• Dec 12th, 2014 @ 6:39am

Just stare at the kitten. That amount of cuteness can do wonders for helping you forget about the stupidity the rest of the story is highlighting.

• Dec 1st, 2014 @ 7:06am

Re: Re: Blackout

Yes, a move like that would cause backlash against Google, but at times I think because of their dominant position in the market they have a responsibility to protect the internet.

I also think that them not making a firm stand will hurt them more in the future. If they make a stand they will get some angry politicians yelling, politicians who will likely be sightly afraid of doing much. If they keep rolling over to demands like these though then Google will loose its user base.

Reading these stories just makes me more and more interested in projects like Yacy. Peer-to-Peer search that cannot be tampered with at the whims of Governments. All it will take is one project like that to get real traction and Google would quickly loose dominance as search provider.

• Dec 1st, 2014 @ 6:03am

Blackout

Is it just me that thinks this would be a prime time for Google to make a point? If they changed their homepage in Europe to a page explaining what is happening, also stating the effects. I bet they would only need to do so for maybe one day. Quite possibly only a few hours.

• Nov 21st, 2014 @ 8:29am

Social media is no replacement

I for one do not use any of the social media services and I do not desire to start now. I find it really annoying though how many places are starting to just say "Hey, don't have social media? Then buzz off." Going to a different site to make a comment on a story is in no way a replacement for commenting here.

• Nov 17th, 2014 @ 12:13pm

You obviously have never really talked to many introverts. Our society can kind of be a pain in the ass to those of us who do not enjoy big loud parties and don't have any interest in being the center of attention.

I'm willing to bet most of the people at these conventions are really just introverts trying to figure out how to overcome that handicap when it comes to dating. This is hardly a good reason to condemn them as human beings. They are just unfortunate people cheated out of their money by a scam artist.

Now of course, anyone who went to this show with an understanding of what it would be like.... They are idiots who should be questioning their place as a human. Of course, if you knew about the content of a show like this then you wouldn't really waste your money attending now would you?

More comments from Machin Shin >>