John85851’s Techdirt Profile

john85851

About John85851

John85851’s Comments comment rss

• Feb 18th, 2018 @ 9:56am

Where's the safety in handcuffing a child?

How about rewording the statement slightly:
    _According to onlookers, E.W. is a 10 year-old child with a child's level of fight-training, while Dolgos is a licensed law-enforcement officer who presumably has had training in martial arts and controlling suspects._
    Yet this 10 year-old child was so dangerous that Dolgos had to put handcuffs on her?
    I think Dolgos should be fired if she's that afraid of children. After all, what happens when she faces a real criminal with a weapon?

I can maybe, sort-of see putting the child in handcuffs to teach her a lesson, but then Dolgos shouldn't claim that she did it out of "safety for herself and school administrators".

• Feb 15th, 2018 @ 10:12am

Adblockers

Like other people are saying, did this "public service" organization mention the fact that many ad networks have been, and will continue to, serve malware?
    How many times have we seen legitimate sites become the unwitting delivery system for malware simply because they use a "trusted" service like doubleclick?

Yet there's no mention that people can get infected this way?

And did the video talk about Flash ads that contain malware and that Flash should be disabled for safety?

• Feb 14th, 2018 @ 8:13am

Browsing the internet while rendering an image

I might be in the minority, but here's something to consider:
    I actually use my computer's processor to render images of digital models. This means the rendering software will take 80-85% of my CPU usage, usually for about an hour or two.

I use this time to browse the web and read interesting stories. I sometimes load up 5 or 6 tabs with stories to read just so Firefox doesn't have to load any pages, then I started rendering an image.

So what happens to people like me who are already using their processor? Will Salon work if its crypto-miner can't run any calculations because there's no free CPU cycles? Will I get a pop-up saying to free up more CPU or the site won't load the rest of the page?

• Feb 13th, 2018 @ 10:30am

Vendors don't care because customers don't care

I agree with Bruce Schneier that this is a problem that won't have a solution any time soon.

For the most part, vendors don't care about privacy because customers don't care about privacy or security. And many customers don't care about privacy because they don't know any better.

How many people realize that the "Which Harry Potter character are you" quizzes at Facebook allow the quiz-company full access to their public profile, including posts and photos?
    And how many people realize a "bad guy" can easily create one of these quizzes and then data-mine everyone who answers... right down to the person's street address, elementary school, and the name of their dog. In other words, the answers to many sites' "recover your password" security questions.

If people don't care about privacy and security on Facebook, then convincing them to care about their TV's is a much harder process.

• Feb 13th, 2018 @ 10:08am

Koblenz, Germany

Here's a tip for Confluence Brewery:
    The last time I went to Germany, I visited a city called Koblenz. Since the name means "confluence" in German and since it's located on the confluence of 2 rivers, I naturally assumed the city was either named after Confluence Brewery or had some kind of endorsement deal.
    Would you please go ahead and file a trademark dispute against the city for daring to use the word "confluence"? Using a different language doesn't mean they can get around trademark infringement.

• Feb 9th, 2018 @ 10:20am

Feature or bug?

It sounds like the AI is learning all right, but it's learning that more people click on fake news and entertainment than on real news. After all, which is more popular- the crazy story that everyone knows is false or the true, correct version of the story?

Like PaulT said above, how many people won't bother verifying the information? They'll scroll through the stories or click to read it, then move on to the next thing in their feed.

• Jan 29th, 2018 @ 10:16am

Nothing is accomplished?

You say nothing is accomplished by using clip art? I think it's the opposite: everyone knows it's an advertisement for the Super Bowl, but NONE of the NFL logos or trademarks are used.
    Why can't the NFL figure out that any mention of the Super Bowl or the teams or even the logos is more advertising? Yes, I know they have licenses to protect, but still.

• Jan 26th, 2018 @ 10:46am

Re: Re: What about the creators?

"That would be a hilarious system to see in place in an alternate fictional reality. If the residents are lucky it would result in people doing really weird stuff to get attention."

Actually, this is happening now. Why else are teenagers eating Tide Pods laundry detergent or doing any number of "challenges"? To post their video on YouTube and get attention.

Or was your comment sarcasm and I wasn't supposed to answer it? :)

• Jan 23rd, 2018 @ 10:19am

Re: Imagine in the U.S...

A better comparison would be Puerto Rico. How should it be listed on a website drop-down list? Is it a separate country from the United States? Is it in the US, but a territory? Or should it be listed as a US state?

However, I don't see the US getting upset at a Chinese hotel chain for mis-labeling Puerto Rico. Then again, the US doesn't have the political history as China and Tibet or China and Taiwan.

• Jan 22nd, 2018 @ 9:21am

Remove all dangerous and stupid videos

I think YouTube should absolutely be a gate-keeper, and to play the devil's advocate, they should also remove any videos that are dangerous, stupid, or both.

Here's an example: the latest "stupid things teenagers do" is that teens are filming themselves eating Tide Pods (yes, laundry detergent) and then uploading the videos to YouTube so they can get their 10 seconds of fame.
    If YouTube had rules against stupid and dangerous videos, then teens wouldn't be able to upload these kinds of videos, and chances are good that most of them wouldn't eat Tide Pods to begin with. After all, many teens wouldn't do something stupid *unless* their friends were filming it.

This kind of rule would also de-monetize all the immature and stupid crap that passes for entertainment, including all the foreign animation that pops up in the "you might also like".
    Yes, there's the argument that what one person thinks is crap could make someone laugh for days, but this could probably be overcome.

• Jan 19th, 2018 @ 11:42am

Does it talk about Google Image

I didn't watch the video because I want to keep my sanity, but does it cover the topic of: "I'm free to use any image I find on a Google Image search because there's no way those images are copyrighted"?

• Jan 19th, 2018 @ 10:15am

Disbar lawyers who keep filing cases like this

As I've said many, many times, there needs to be harsher penalties for lawyers that take cases like this, because:
    1) They don't know copyright law well enough to know they don't have a case.
    2) They DO know copyright law, but ignore it in favor of taking money from a client.

Either way, the penalty for filing a case like this needs to a bar-review of some kind, and if he gets enough reviews, then he need to be disbarred.

• Jan 12th, 2018 @ 7:07am

Let the FBI test this idea

If encryption is really so bad, then why doesn't the FBI test this idea and lead by example: from now on, they should 100% unencrypted cellphones, e-mails, and other communications. If no data is stolen and no one loses anything, then we'll slowly roll it out to the rest of the country.

• Jan 11th, 2018 @ 10:00am

In some cases, the middlemen have deeper pockets. This is why people choose to sue Google or Facebook for user-generated content instead of actually going after the user or website that created the content.

And, yes, this is the idea behind Europe's "right to be forgotten": it's easier to ask Google to delist an offending website than it is to actually contact the website ask them to correct or update the content.

• Jan 10th, 2018 @ 10:34am

Is SDCC even a comic book convention any more?

I know this is probably a fool's errand, but I would almost go on the legal offensive and claim "San Diego Comic Con" is more about pop culture than comic books, and therefore, can't own "comic con" since it's clearly not a "comic book convention".

Just look at the trailers, cast and crew panels, and sneak peeks for "Twilight", "Star Trek", "Star Wars", and "Avatar", none of which are comic books.
    And how about the announcement of exclusive toys for "Star Wars" at SDCC... when neither toys nor movies are comic books.

It would be like me owning a show called "San Diego Auto Show" and then suing "Salt Lake City Auto Show" because I think I own the trademark on "auto show"... even though most of the vehicles at my show are motorcycles, not automobiles.

• Jan 10th, 2018 @ 9:44am

What other tools do the police not know how to use?

Can we take this discussion up a level, so to speak?

If the police testified that they don't know how to use the drug testing equipment, is it safe to assume they don't know how to use other equipment? Then can we assume these police officer may not know how to use their gun to shoot accurately? Can we assume they may not know how to operate a patrol car properly?
    Okay, maybe driving a car is a bad example, but you know what I mean.

• Jan 9th, 2018 @ 9:57am

Truthiness

I'm surprised no one has brought up the word "truthiness" yet, Stephen Colbert's word for something that you think is probably true, even though there's no basis in fact.

Does Trump watch Gorilla TV? It sounds like it could be true.
    Do vaccines cause autism? Sure, why not- it's easier to believe than looking at the medical data.
    Was Obama born in Kenya? Well, he's black, so why not?

• Jan 8th, 2018 @ 10:22am

Re: Downward spiral

I was just about to mention this.
    How long will it be until other countries follow Germany's lead and threaten companies with huge fines?
    Is it still considered government censorship when companies are choosing to take down posts to avoid the potential of a 50 million Euro fine?

• Jan 5th, 2018 @ 8:53am

Don't forget the international market

One of my friends recently posted some photos from the Tokyo ComicCon. Will SDCC be going after the international comic cons also? After all, countries like Japan have signed treaties to honor US copyrights, so there's no reason not to go after every single convention company.

• Jan 5th, 2018 @ 8:46am

This seems one-sided

I get how the media gives attention to this guy for this idiotic quest to create restrictive laws and spend taxpayer money defending it, but where's the side of the story that talks about the people who don't agree with this?

Where are the quotes from the other lawmakers who think this is a dumb idea? Why isn't the other 99% of the Indiana legislature speaking up against it or giving quotes to the media? Are they afraid that everyone in Indiana will vote them out if they denounce this bad proposal?

What's the old saying about how it's easy for bad things to happen when good people won't do anything to stop it?

More comments from John85851 >>